Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LexusRX 400h Hybrid Battery Failure

Comments

• I don't know how to post a copy of the letter. The letter says Intelligent Power Module (IPM) part of the Hybrid System Inverter in certain modle year 2006 and 2007 RX400h. The phone number to call is 1-800-255-3987
  • mfranzoiamfranzoia Posts: 12
    Yes, my Battery was dead too. It's my third one. I had replaced it 3 years ago. They said it was not caused by the inverter failure, but I know I used everything I had to get out of traffic. My hazard lights ran the car battery to failure, waiting for the Tow Truck. The dealership charged me $177.00, but I was happy to pay that at the time, having saved about 10k. Still, I know that it wasn't dead when I was driving it. Cha-Ching!
  • mfranzoiamfranzoia Posts: 12
    edited July 2011
    Call any dealership, or corporate, they will verify it. You will receive one in the mail too, if they have your address on file. No need to doubt, just look into it.

2006 and 2007

Why did every Lexus mechanic tell me they never had a problem with the inverters before? Two dealerships told me that I was the first one they heard of. And now a recall notice ? Seriously, are you kidding me? No more LEXUS MECHANICS FOR ME. My 76 station mechanic knew that was Bull Shot, and he's not a Lexus certified mechanic.
  • skycaptainskycaptain Posts: 33
    edited July 2011
    Do you know how to scan a letter? If so, scan it to a file and you can send it as an attachment in an email to me. My email address is lukskybiker@aol.com. I have a 2007 RX400h. Did you say the recall covered 2007 RX400's as well? I never got a letter.

Thanks, Luke" :shades:
  • mac117mac117 Posts: 5
    I am looking at purchasing a Lexus RX 400H, with 36,000 miles, for sale by owner. ( asking 25,000). No warranty on this vehicle, and I am very concerned about the posts I have seen on the hybrid inverter. Any advice, suggestions? When did the recall come out?
    Thanks!....
    I am looking at purchasing a Lexus RX 400H, with 36,000 miles, for sale by owner. ( asking 25,000). No warranty on this vehicle, and I am very concerned about the posts I have seen on the hybrid inverter. Any advice, suggestions? When did the recall come out?
    Thanks!....
    edited July 2011
    Mac,
    Yes you should. If it has only 36000 miles the inverter is warranteed until 70,000 miles by Lexus.
    As of now it also appears that Lexus is replacing the inverters regardless of mileage..basically a recall.
    Anyway, the inverter problem only applies to 2006 models and some early 2007 models.

Regards,

Capt Luke :shades:
    this is what I found online as far as the problem and the matching VIN numbers:

#31 of 91 '06 Highlander and Lexus Inverter Problems by maryland_john
    Jul 13, 2010 (6:04 am)
    I've have found the VIN break for the change from the defective inverter to the new part. Before the break you may experience total power failure, engine, steering and brakes. After the break the new part does not have any failures I can find.
    Toyota 06 Highlander Hybrid 2wd - Ending in 60009725
    Toyota 06 Highlander Hybrid 4wd - Ending in 60019910
    Lexus 06 Rx 400h 2wd - Ending in 60002207
    Lexus 06 Rx 400h 4wd - Ending in 60036526

My dealer did the right thing and brought my bill from $9000 to $1200, but how many owners are still driving these dangerous cars??
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    I just (two weeks ago) received the recall notice... sounds horrible, but at the same time the letter mentions that the replacements will likely occur around January 2012 as parts are available.... what can be done in the meantime?

From what I've read, there are no warning signs... just a stalled car. I will give Putnam a call (we live in Belmont). The sad part is this my wife's car, and I am concerned that this stall may occur with her and my two year old daughter in the car.
  • tripleltriplel Posts: 1
    Hi,

You must call 1-800-25-lexus and ask for a supervisor. Tell them your concern and that your wife does not feel safe driving the car and demand that they either find a part or give you a loaner until the part comes in next year.
    They will tell you production in Japan was hindered as a result of the tsunami and there is nothing they can do. Do not accept no for an answer. The dealer cannot help you but if you are persistent with Lexus (it took me 2 weeks and multiple calls) they will find an inverter for you. I was particularly sensitive when I received their recall notice b/c my inverter failed once already as I was getting on the freeway with my young daughter in the back seat. It is very frightening and dangerous. Good luck.
  • So... I'm considering buying a RX 400h it is a 2006 with almost 70k miles. After reading all these posts I'm a little concerned that it could be a bad idea. Thoughts or suggestions? The car has been well taken car of, with no issues and every service performed.
  • missmomissmo Posts: 2
    This inverter problem happened to me last weekend while in Mexico. $300 tow back to the states, then another tow by AAA to get to the Lexus dealer. I received the recall notice, took my car in, but they said I didn't need the part. My VIN is below the break as mentioned by another post. It will be covered as the warranty is 100,000 miles, not 70,000 as skycaptain posted. I'm hoping to get the $300 back from corporate Lexus. It was scary, and I didn't really know about this problem, (just a single chick living in San Diego) just trusted the notice and the mechanic.
    missmo,

Glad to hear it worked out so well for you. I'm also glad to hear that the inverter is warranted to 100k miles.
    Just a quick question about your car. What year is it and how many miles at inverter failure?

Thanks,
    Luke :shades:
  • missmomissmo Posts: 2
    Hi skycaptain - are you a pilot? My car is a 2006 with 80 something miles on it (couldn't read the exact numbers when I turned it in for service because it was dead). I had a GS 300 for 9 years and loved it. When I heard they were coming out with a SUV Hybrid I got on a waiting list and had to wait 10 months to get one, so I'm pretty sure it's one of the first ones off the line. I've had it new since October of 2005. This is the first time in 15 years I've ever been stranded by a Lexus.

Mo
  • Yes, I flew Jets for many years. yes buy the Hybrid...I love mine...:shades:
  • momoftmomoft Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Hi, I am glad that I found this forum. However my car is 2008 model about 38k miles and had the same problem as I read. The car stalled in the middle of intersection. Just went dead. The accelerator didn't work, the handle was locked. But the radio was on, the windows go up/down, AC was on. I couldn't even turn on the hazard light. I managed to push the car with the help to the side and 15 minutes later I was able to drive back again. About 10 months ago, the car didn't turn on and the next day we managed to turn on so we brought to the dealer and they replaced the battery. The car is in the dealer now and we are waiting for the answer. We are not sure what the problem is but after I read 2006 models stalled on highways... that could happened to me too... so scary.
  • voicedvoiced Posts: 8
    I too was concerned about this poorly designed inverter problem. I opted to purchase an RX330 with 103k miles instead of a hybrid. Runs beautifully. She still can use unleaded vs. premium fuel and gets around 25mpg if we baby her.

The only downside to purchasing a used Lexus is if the previous owner has not done their regularly scheduled maintenance. Repair costs are, well, shall I say significant at Lexus Service centers?
  • The inverter has been recalled, and Lexus will replace for free. At least on the 2006 model.
  • After learning that the inverter is a ten thousand dollar part, I would no longer buy the hybrid model either. Apparently, going green has it's downsides. Wind power also uses inverters (solar too), if the wind speeds are too high for a sustained period of time, you can burn out a 4-6 thousand dollar inverter. So, for wind, you have to really match wind speed to the inverter (for efficiency). This means "dumping wind", during highly sustained gusts or storms.

I wonder if high sustained freeway speeds can cause these inverters to burn out. If they built these to have a maximum efficiency at 60 mph can 80 mph over time burn out the inverters?
  • who can we contact at Lexus? we have the same problem.