Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Headlight Questions

I just encountered a new problem. My blinkers work fine until I apply the brakes, then they freeze up. Also, when I turn on the blinkers my cruise control disengages. Does anyone have any clue of what causes this? Thanks. By the way this is on a 2005 Trailblazer.

Comments

• cy_ccy_c Posts: 5
    Hello All,

I own a 02 Chevy Trailblazer and would like to change the (low-beam) headlights my self if that is possible. Can someone give me instructions - the headlight connection doesn't resemble what I'm used to (twist and pull)...Matter of fact - I can't see how I can remove these from the back.... Thank you all in advance for your assist....
    Thanks... tried that one though.... guess no one changes their own headlights...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Guess you'll have to check your owner's manual if you have one; or ask the folks at the local parts counter to show you.

I had to replace my tail light bulb in my van twice in the last year, about 8 months apart. I had to look in the manual both times to figure out how to reach the socket; it's sure not intuitive.

Steve, Host
    You got that one right.... maybe I can "inquire" at the local Chevy shop... this adventure all started with a blown bulb and my need to experiment with the Silverstar... I figured I'd try it out for the 2-4 months it will last to see if it's worth the 40 bucks... But of course you know, you don't change one... you change two... The plastic trim is removable... then there's the battery on one side and something else on the other... and access to the bulbs seems to be covered by some kind of plastic cup... yup... a real head scratcher...
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Changing the headlights has been discussed many times in the past in the triplett forum. Try doing a search to see if you can find the posts. Otherwise you can email me and I'll help you out.
    Hey...Thanks for the assist.... I will check the forum out first so I don't get repetitive... if not - I'll be back to pick yer brains....
  • imjimj Posts: 2
    I have owned a 2002 Trailblazer for one year now and I have had continuous problems with my headlights on low beam. I have replaced both headlights at least twice. My husband figured out that we weren't burning out headlights but the connection plug was getting too hot. He has now replaced the connection twice on both the passenger and driver side. It seems that both lights work for a couple of days and then I lose one. I don't have a problem after one of the low beam lights goes out and my high beams work fine. Of course this causes the day running lights to not work properly also. Something is causing those connections to get hot but my husband has not been able to figure out what. Has anyone else had problems with keeping the headlights working on their Trailblazer?
  • Hi. Yes I have a 2002 Trailblazer and have experienced problems with the low beams. About two months ago I had to replace the driver side socket because the plastic melted. And now my passenger side low beam doesn't work. I am running into the same trouble as cy c in that I tried replacing the bulb but can't reach the back cover because there is a huge black box in the way. :(

And, the owner's manual only addresses how to change tail lights. I haven't found anything that speaks to changing high or low beams.
  • in order to take the headlight fixture out of my 02 TB I had to take the grill off. Its pretty easy, just carefully unsnap the fixture by pulling slowly and using a screw driver to release the clips all the way across the grill. I believe there about 6 of them.

Once the grille comes off (1 piece) right above the headlight are two lever-type snaps. use a screwdriver and lift up on both of them until they snap upward. Once these are lifted, the light comes out. Behind the light there are two rubber canister looking covers. Pop the appropriate cover off (low or high beam) then a quarter turn should release the bulb from the fixture.
    NOTE, you may have to undo the wire connections simply by separating them at the connectors.

Install new bulb (remember not to touch the bulb with fingers), tighten into fixture with 1/4 turn, re-connect wire harness, put rubber seal back on, snap light back in, and snap grill in too.

Its pretty easy to do, and I would recommend replacing both sides at the same time while everything is apart.

Email me if you have further questions.
  • Hi, I have a 2005 Trailblazer. I bought new upgraded bulbs for the headlights but can't figure out how to change them. It is not addressed in the owners manual.
    I tried what some one else posted for their 2002 but the 05 seems different.
    The grill came off very easily but instead of 2 metal snaps holding the light assembly there are many plastic ones. I've tried gently prying them out but they break everytime so I'm guessing there must be another way. I can't believe it's easier to change the grill than the bulbs!
    Any ideas?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    The plastic ones are to hold the lens on the assembly, leave those alone. Look further back on the assembly on the left up under the fender and on the right pretty much in plain view, unless there's been some change for 05, but I doubt it.
    There not really snaps but are sliding clips that move up and down, with some force required.
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    I own a 2002 TB and had to replace the low beams a couple of years ago. I did not have to remove the grill. I took off the radiator cover and had plenty of room to get my hand in to 1/4 turn the bulb fixture out. When I first looked at the front end, I also thought I would have to remove the front grill. I found out I didn't have to.
  • I own a 2002 Trailblazer. To gain great access to the lamps on the passenger side remove the large black air cleaner cover which is held on by three screws. Once removed you can also remove the air cleaner. Remove the round rubber covers by lightly twisting the edge of the rubber with a flat srewdriver.You will see the lamps.The clip attached to wires that is inserted into the lamp can be loosened and pulled out before twisting the lamp counter clockwise to remove.
    I only replaced the passenger side lamp. It looks like you can gain the same access on the driver side by removing the battery case and battery.
  • I have a 2003 Trailblazer that I have been very happy with, only minor problems when we first got it but nothing since then. My passenger headlamp just went out so I ran to the autoparts store to get a replacement. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!! Why would any engineer design a headlamp assembly that is so hard to remove? I also have a 2005 Malibu that has two bolts on top that simply unscrew and you're in. This is crazy. But, everyone here thanks for the tips because I couldn't figure it out myself (the manual says "see your Chevrolet dealer"). Yeah right, like I'm going to take it to the dealer to change a bulb.
  • My low beam headlights just quit working. The high beams work. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuses as well as the relay switch. What do I do now? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • jwbakerjwbaker Posts: 1
    Thanks for the help and advice. I also read "see dealer" regarding front headlights and became discouraged. Once again my manual will provide page after page on programming my radio, but will not ultimately impart any real knowledge on many needed topics. Once I read these tips I was done in 15 minutes (it would have been 10, if I had remembered to put the rubber dust cover back on the first time). Thanks to all for guidance.
  • bbakesbbakes Posts: 1
    Just read your message re:2003 Trailblazer...my drivers side headlamp just blew...can you give me some tips to help me change it as I am totally lost. Thanks bbakes
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    I had a problem w/my low beam (left) - there was a short and a small fire. I had the dealer replace the entire wiring, under warranty. Who knows what it would have costs if done out of warranty.
  • eagostoeagosto Posts: 3
    DEAR BURDAWG: I'm new to the computer and I have spent the better part of 2 hours looking for specific info on how to repalce the passenger-side headlight on my Chevy Trailblazer ('01 or '02). I cannot find you answer from last year which you refer to. I apologize but would be very grateful if you would give my tips on how to replace the bulb. It seems impossible when I look under the hood.
    eaa