Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy TrailBlazer Headlight Questions

Comments

• dont437dont437 Posts: 6
    My headlights bulbs didn't actually burn out, they just went off by themselves! I have the sensor where they come on automatically. It just happened again a few weeks ago and I had to pull over, stop the motor, then start it again. Thank God they came back on. I am puzzled and don't want to spend a lot to get it fixed! Like I said before, the service manager at our local dealership said that it sounded like the relay switch which is costly to replace. But he didn't know for sure. Did your bulbs actually burn out? Or did you have the same trouble I have had?
  • c118fec118fe Posts: 23
    '06 pre-owned certified,4.2L.Lights vibrate at nite,dealer re-positioned headlight locks.Still shake.Grill originally seemed loose,but not since dealer "fixed". Any thoughts?
  • franannebfrananneb Posts: 1
    Our daughter's 2002 Chevy Trailblazer headlights went out abruptly the other night and would not come back on. After reading your post, I walked out to her car and did what you suggested, swapping the #46 fuse with the #45. My husband's jaw dropped when that solved the problem...he promptly went to Auto Zone and bought a replacement fuse for under forty bucks. We had discussed taking the car to the dealer, but your suggestion saved us the time and money. Thank you so much!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Lights vibrate at nite...

Do you mean that you can see the light beams move (on pavement or whatever) or do you mean you can hear sound emanating from the lightbulbs?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • c118fec118fe Posts: 23
    on green interstate signs,low signs along hiway.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    It could be that the screws used to adjust the headlamp position are broken.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • how did you replace the socket? i have a new socket for my 02 trailblazer. i know how to get the lighting assembly disattached from the car, but when i removed the cap, i couldn't figure out where to wire the socket. do i just strip the wires and rewire the new one on, or do i need to take more of the car apart?
  • My 02 TrailBlazer "Service Engine Soon" light is on more than it is off. Diagnostic hook-up says it needs a Cam Sensor.

Now about 3 different times I have drove it at night the Low Beams shut off by theirselves and turned dial switch from automatic to manual does NOT work....have to drive home on Brights....after a few miles I can go back to low beams, but they will go out again after a few miles!

The cruise will only work a few times a month, also.

SO....since the high beam switch and cruise are all on the same lever on the column, are those issues related, or is the cruise messing up due to the cam sensor which makes my TB want to die at stops at times????

Any ideas here? Called Chevrolet today and they can find NO recalls on any of this and the local dealer says just to find the problem is $34/hour at about 2-6 hours.

Ummmm.....gouging!??!?!
  • chell94chell94 Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing happen to me. I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and my low beam head lights went out. I swapped the #45 & #46 Relays. It worked fine this morning, but when I went out for lunch my running lights don't come on any more. For the moment I can turn on my low beams but the running lights don't come on. Can anyone help. What is a permenant fix for the low beam lights going completly out? I call the Chevy Dealer yesterday and they want $98 bucks just to tell me what is wrong with it. I don't think so. :confuse: :lemon: :sick:
  • 2004 Trailblazer low beams not working (kept going out but would come back on) changed the #45 and #46 relays and lights started working. Will be picking up new relay tommorrow. Thanks!
  • Doing research and saw this post. I have the same issue with low beam lights going off and on....However, I have a 2007 TB - was just told by GM dealer that the "entire block" has to be replaced (part $207 and labor $160). I do not have a clue what they are talking about, except its under the seat. Does my car not have the "relays #45 and #46"? Sorry I am ignorant when it comes to cars and I am tired of getting screwed.
  • I have the same problem with my 05 Trailblazer. The lights dim because the alternator normally produces 14.5 volts. The battery output is about 12 volts. The voltage drops momentarily when the alternator fails to produce 14.5 volts. I have also noticed the problem during a hard acceleration, which caused me to think it was a slipping serpentine belt. However, the random dimming occurs while driving at a steady speed. Dealer replaced the under-hood fuse block (not the one under the rear seat) as well as the alternator. Neither action fixed the problem. I wonder if it is possible to connect the diagnostic computer and let us drive the cars for a few days with the computer connected.
  • fj4072fj4072 Posts: 29
    Your problem is your relay. #46 under the hood. If this happens again, try switching #46 with #45, same relay only for the fan clutch. If they go back on, this is your problem. Autozone has them for $40
  • I have a 2003 Trailblazer with130,000 miles. Snowed the other day and when I turned my Transfer Case Controls, nothing happened. No yellow light came on and no 4WD.
    Any ideas on what to check for. I looked in the owner's manual and saw that Fuse Number 8 says "Automatic Transfer Case" so first thing tomorrow I'll check that. That would be too easy but I'm hoping it's blown. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • This is a continuing dangerous problem. The night before the the night before Xmas, my wife was doing some last minute shopping before a 280 mile drive
    the next day. Wife called - no lights. She drove home with the brights while I found all this information about fuse #46 and #45, thanks to this site I switched the fuses, even though the fuse in #46 (headlamp) was then working. At least I know what to do if it happens during our trip. Merry Christmas GM, you may be bankrupt but you won't steal Christmas from us.
  • I have replaced my headlights on my 03 trailblazer at least 4 times this past year and dont know why they keep going out. a couple years ago one of the sockets melted and i replaced it and it seemed to work fine for a while bu the dam things keep going out now. Any ideas anyone would be great.
  • fj4072fj4072 Posts: 29
    First things first. Make sure there aren't any finger prints on the bulbs, the grease will cause a hot spot and cause it to blow quicker. If you do touch these bulbs, wipe down with alcohol. 2. Use die-electric grease on the socket next time, will prolong the life of the bulb and dissapate any excessive heat generated. Check for loose, or dirty connections at the battery and alternator, could have an electrical surge which will cause these to pop quicker also, cleaning these up will help. 3. Make sure you have the right wattage, I believe that OEM is 51w, but any more than 55w will blow quicker also. These are the basics, next would be replacing the wiring harness that goes to the lights.
  • question for u did u ever get the headlight problem fixed and if so what did you do. i have a 03 trailblazer and i replaced the melted socket on the drivers side and the dam thing kepps blowing again any ideas on what to do. please help this is really pissing me off
  • I did get mine fixed after going through a few bulbs and 1 socket. I eventually got 2 new sockets capable of higher temps (I think they're ceramic) from the local parts store. I guess the original stock sockets (and their original replacements) are only capable of handling the heat from the original bulbs, or their equivalent. All bulbs I tried (3 different brands) blew and/or melted the sockets until I replaced them. Since installing the high-temp sockets, I haven't had any problems.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,521
    Ditto for me. The halogen bulbs get hot.