Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• dotdijakdotdijak Posts: 3
    I have had my 2006 aveo for the last five years. I had stalling problems and jerking from day 1. I have had almost everything replaced due to other problems and it appear the stalling has always been related to the poor design of the fuel injector systems and you can not fill the car over the fill line. Humidity and cold are not the aveo's friends. Now the cam is going which also causes the car to knock and stall and make a clicking sound when hood is open. Also for some of you , please heed the warning about changing the timing belts and engine belts before the 60,000 mile mark, even if the belts look good. It will save you a hassle with warranties and engine and transmission later as my relative found out. I heeded the warning and never had a problem.
  • anprobanprob Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Since March, our local dealership has had our '09 Aveo for close to a month over 4 or 5 visits for the same repair. They have been unable to get it to fail to start while they have it in their possession. On the most recent visit, the ignition switch was replaced. When we we got it home and pulled it into the driveway, turned it off, then tried to start it again it failed to start again. The symptom is that when the key is turned to the start position nothing happens. No clicks. Just lights, radio and blower fan cut out as they should. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it takes 20 or 30 cycles into the start position before it will start. They have re-flashed the computer, looked at the neutral/park switch, and the starter. We dropped it off again tonight so they can look at it again. We are very frustrated to say the least. When the car is at the shop, we have to borrow a vehicle to drive so we can carry on with our lives. Any help would be great!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    anprob,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • anprobanprob Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. No we have not. How do we go about it?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    anprob,

I would be happy to assist in setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I've never had an issue with my starter but today, I thought I needed a jump start when actually, my starter went. Currently my estimate is $615 and that is from the dealer which I can't afford. Does anyone know where I can get this done at a cheaper rate. Right now, I have no other means of transportation.
  • My wife was driving to work in her 2009 Chevy Aveo and while on the highway, the car just died. Stalled while moving at a torrent pace of 20Km/h. She put it in park and then restarted the car no problem and was able to make it into work. This is the 2nd time this has happened to her and after taking the car to the dealer, all they could say is that they found nothing wrong with it. Anyone else have this type of issue with the 09 Aveo's (the stalling) ? Is this common?
  • You are describing a problem that began occurring shortly after I bought my 2007 Aveo. The cause was discovered and the Chevrolet division of GM was nostified of the problem and how to correct it. The problem was caused by my using a key case to house the ignition key. Either the heaviness of the case or the motion of its dangling caused the computer to cut off the ignition. Since which of the two possibilities could not be ascertained, I did not switch to a key chain. Instead, I just use the key without any attachment. It's a bit of a nuisance to keep the key separate in one of my pockets. But since that has proved to be a surefire way to stop the stalling, that is what I do. I put up with it because my Aveo has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned, notwithstanding the overly sensitive ignition switch problem. IF that turns out to be your problem - and that is a big IF - then shame on the Chevrolet division of GM for not correcting it by now, since its officers were notified of it by me several years ago. - Burton H. Wolfe/bhwolfe(at)msn.com.
  • Did my reply come through? I got a message stating that it did not. - BHW
  • astarastar Posts: 8
    I had a chevy 4-cyl Berretta that started overheating and valves clattering and lagged and dragged and did not want to go into third gear, three dealerships later found that two plugs had burned up, so what caused the overheating and the plugs to burn up? A catalytic converter which was receiving a mixture of gas that was too rich and was melting the plastic insides of the converter. After replacing the converter and adjusting the gas mixture coming off the engine and changing all the spark plugs and wires, the engine was once again running on four cyl, not dragging and not overheating, the initial problem was caused by the dealership adjusting the gas mixture when tuning up the vehicle, they set the gas mixture for a 6 cyl engine by mistake, and it melted three converters before the third dealership discovered how the problem was started. Also, sand can clog the converter and not allow the exhaust to leave the engine fast enough which will also cause overheating problems, you can blow the sand out of a converter and continue using it instead of getting a new one, just make sure no areas are melted inside the converter.
  • barkydogbarkydog Posts: 44
    Two questions about your comments:

Please tell us what parts of a catalytic converter are made of plastic. (?)

Please tell us how sand could possibly enter a catalytic converter and clog it. (?)

If your advice is not credible, why should we believe it... (?)
  • karebearkarebear Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo LS which I purchased a little over two years ago. The first two years of owning this car were bliss, but the last two months have been horrible.

In May my thermostat housing broke while I was driving home late at night, which left me stranded in the dark with a car that I was unable to drive. I had the car towed to a mechanic, who was shocked to see the state of the thermostat housing, as it had snapped right down the middle. They told me they had never seen that on a vehicle before. A few hundred dollars later, it was fixed. I should also note that at this time I had to have my break switch fixed as the lights would not turn off.

Then this month, I started to drive my car and it was working just fine. All of a sudden, the engine light started flashing, the motor was shaking very badly and my car was maxing out at 10km. I took it to a mechanic (very slowly as the car could barely drive) and they told me the spark plugs were shot, the wires needed to be replaced, and my ignition coil was no longer working. 600 later, and the car was fixed.

The next day I was driving and my engine light came on again. Now I am being told that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced completely. They were surprised by the fact that my coils and converter all went at the same time.

Not to mention the fact that the alarm on my car goes off about 10 times a night if I lock the car remotely.

I seriously regret buying this car.
  • rjbruner7rjbruner7 Posts: 1
    This needs to be a recall ( You hear that Chevy!!!!!!) I had the same problem with my 2009 Aveo at 48,000. I have a scanner and found a misfire in cylender 4. The dealer threw a $300 price at me. Luckily I had bought 2 cars from them in one year, so they dropped it to $250. Chevy needs to reimburse people for this!!!!
  • barkydogbarkydog Posts: 44
    Why should they?

GM is very good at giving the consumer apologies. But you can't take their apologies to the bank. :mad:
  • bgwbaddbgwbadd Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    The problem I am having is after the engine is up to operating temperature. When I stop somewhere for a short period of time and turn the engine off (5-10 minutes), when I come back and start the car, as I begin to move in drive, the engine bogs down and almost quits. You can put the accelerator to the floor and nothing happens. After a few seconds, the engine then begins to run normally with no stalling problems until the next time I shut it off and come back after 5-10 minutes. I took it to a local Chevy dealer and their lead technician drove it and said he had NEVER seen this problem in his time as a mechanic (close to 30 years). There has never been a check engine light and diagnostics shows no problems.
  • bgwbadd
    Mine is doing the exact same thing mine is doing did they come up with a solution or a fix for it?
  • mikeyj18mikeyj18 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My 2005 Aveo wont start about 90% of the time unless I give it gas and hold RPMs up. I have to press brake and gas peddal to shift into reverse/drive and when I stop to keep RPMs up. And sometimes the car runs perfectly normal. The car had a tune up around march and theres no codes or check engine lights on and I went to auto zone and they checked my ignition system and it passed. The car turns over and has full electric power when it stalls but im not sure what the problem is. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
  • We have the exact problem with our '09 Aveo. It has been going on since we bought it brand new. We have brought it to the dealership four times, twice they kept it several days. Each time they say no codes come up and they can't replicate the problem when they drive it.
    The car was purchased for our two college age daughters to drive to work/school, and I am afraid every time they take it out. Yesterday, right in the driveway, as soon as the car was turned on (still in park!) it bucked and lunged. Halfway up the block it lost power even as my daughter pressed on the gas. Then the power suddenly kicks in and she shoots forward,
    My daughters report that as they depress the gas pedal, the rpm's go up, but the car continues to slow down. Then it suddenly kicks in. It also will buck when stopped at stop signs and stop lights. These issues happen mostly when the car is first started and running for a short while, but this is not at all consistent. It can happen at any time every day for weeks, and then not at all for weeks.
    The advice I got from the dealership? If you aren't comfortable with the car, you might want to trade it in! What kind of help is that? I would expect better.
  • I am presently experimenting the exact proble with my son's Aveo, What was the solution to correct the situation.