Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• My wife and I bought a new 07 aveo last june and didn't have any problems with it until recently. The same thing was happening to us the brake and battery lights were coming on and the brake wasn't engaged. It finally got to the point where the car was dieing on us and we had to keep having it towed to the service center. They could not find out what was wrong with it at first, but eventually they replaced the battery, the ignition switch and finally the alternator ( in that order) since they replaced the alternator we haven't had any problems. Chevy has really ticked me off with this one. It's very unlikely that I'll buy a chevy again.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,458
    Hey, Poncho167...

My daughter is looking at a new Toyota, and I have seen several comments from you in these feeds that Toyota attempts to convince owners that a lot of problems are "normal service items" instead of actual failures/problems. She has a Corolla now, and has had good luck, with no trips for anything other than normal service on her current car (ie, oil changes,etc).

Is there a publication (or web-sites, etc.) that I can get more detailed info on this phenomenon?

Thanks...
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I would use a search engine such as google to see if the corporate information regarding this is listed. The recent engine sludge problem was another example of this and Toyota ended up taking responsibility for that after lawsuits were presented. I have read about it numerous times on blogs though I have not seen the official corporate letter to dealer service. Doing a brief search this morning just came up with normal wear and tear information which was part of what they are saying but I didn't see what those items were in the search.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,458
    Here's the link to a site discussing the oil sludge settlement...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html
  • Do you have an immobilizer on this car? One of the things an immobilizer does is cut off the fuel supply so that you can't start the car without a programmed key. It's possible that they key or the immobilizer module isn't working right. Have you tried another key?
  • luckinsluckins Posts: 63
    My car has some kind of issue where it "hiccups" when you start it. It only started recently after I changed my spark plugs and wires. It seems to be getting better. I noticed that there is a loud thump coming from the back on the car when it "hiccups", too. Then, the car will run absolutely perfectly for about a week or so before it does it again. It does it about 5% of the time, it will "miss" right at fire-up. The battery, alternator, starter are all fine.
    When you changed your plugs did you by chance drop one. If so its possible the insulator could be cracked causing spark issues. Though this is likely not the case I thought I would throw it out there.
  • luckinsluckins Posts: 63
    No, I was very careful and did everything as close to the "manual" as I could. Today, I had the same problem and it cranked fast, then very slowly, then sped up and started. Also, I remembered that sometimes the starter doesn't disengage after cranking and I get a buzzing sound right after start up that lasts about 2 seconds. So, I definitely think it might be a starter problem. But, I can't convince anyone at the dealership because when I take it in, it starts and runs to perfection. It's funny, after it gives me a really hard time for a few starts, it will start up for exactly 23 times after that perfectly. Then, the car will start to run rough and on the 24th time, it will "skip" or crank slow. Isn't that funny? :confuse:

Well, I think it's just one of those things that has to totally break before I can take it in and say "see". I might try to work it out so that that 24th time happens on a day off when I can take it in so that they can see I'm not making it up. Problem is, I'm afraid it's just not going to start one day and I work at night. And, this last time it "skipped" it cranked really slow. But, I was playing around with it last night, so I might have worn the battery down by starting it up too much. :blush:
  • grace4evergrace4ever Posts: 30
    Please could you tell me how many quarts of oil on an oil change. I had my oil changed for first time at an oil change place instead of dealership and had a garage floor full of oil when I woike up this morning. Did they overfill or not get filter on correctly? :confuse:
  • kisstinkisstin Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Aveo LS with about 43,600 miles on it. A few days ago i was leaving work and when i started my car, the engine started to shake for about 30 and almost lose power, then proceded to go back to normal.

This has been happening everytime i start my car. I've also noticed that if i don't wait for the engine to shake and sputter before i drive off, the engine will stall.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Any ideas on a fix?
  • sedmondssedmonds Posts: 1
    Not sure it's the same issue but I did have my last car doing the same thing and it was a dirty idle air control sensor. Just needed to be cleaned really good. It would start and either run fast or so slow it would die until it warmed up a little. Bad sensor.
  • timsehtimseh Posts: 24
    According to the manual, it's 3.96 Quarts (with filter).

I'm guessing they left the washer off of the drain plug when they replaced it. I'd be on the phone screaming at the manager if I were you.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Posts: 30
    Hey thanks for your answer.
    Actually that's exactly what I did. I looked at the receipt and it said they had put in 5 qts of oil. I was a madwoman. I had to have my husband take it back because I had to work and he said the man said that the oil filter had not been tighten down enough but that the receipt was computer generated and he had only put 4 qts in. So I guess my crisis is over. I'm so afraid something will screw up my warranty that I won't take it anywhere else but the dealership from now on (and never have before). And another thing!!! - it doesn't cost any less at one of those lube places than it does at the dealership.
  • timsehtimseh Posts: 24
    This is the first car I've had where I've promised myself I'm just going to take it to the dealer for things like oil changes and routine maintenance.

Partly because I'm lucky enough to work from a home office now, and the dealer has free wireless Internet, meaning it's not a big deal if I have to wait an hour while the oil gets changed. I can keep right on working.

You're right about the cost, too. These days, it's actually less expensive in my neck of the woods to just get it done at the dealer.
    Your dealer is going to be your best bet for your car maintenance especially if you don't have a regular trusted mechanic. Even if you pay a little more the dealer will have a track record of your maintenance and will be more willing to address any other issue or question in the future being that you seek their service.

Your owners manual has all the information about quantities of oil and oil filter part numbers, etc. Remember to check your oil yourself from time to time, it is very easy. Moter oil should only be checked when the engine is cold before driving to get accurate results.
  • dettra303dettra303 Posts: 1
    I need to replace the CO2 sensor on my car. It is the one before the catalytic converter. Could someone tell me if this would be easy to do
  • have you figured this problem out. I just started to have problems with starting my 06 aveo, have 82K miles on it. It has a hard time starting and at idling it hic cups and stalls. Also the Ignition Switch is hot to touch. Any one having this problem ?
  • smartiessmarties Posts: 3
    Hello.
    Got a CPU problem with my 2008 Aveo, not even 1500km on it, got the car on the 20/06/2008 and took it to GM on monday (21/07/2008) for repair. It started with some small banging in the trunk area, then one day the car stalled, got it to start again 5 min later.
    For a week after that problem, the car started but the iddle of engin speed was jumping like crazy plus the banging was still there. It the day the car was fine, it's in the morning that the problem came. The ingnition switch is hot too, the dealer do not think it has a link.
    They are going to thake the CPU from an other Aveo (hopping there is no problem with that one) replace, check in the morning if the problem come back. If all goes well, i should have it by thuesday...
    :sick:
    The warm/hot key thing has been reported here in the past. Is that something totally new for yours or did you just notice it?

I think you meant you took the car back to Chevrolet because GM is located in Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A..
  • Though my Aveo hatchback is a 2007, it is a new car - one of the 2007 leftovers - that I bought in April of this year. I have gone only 1,000 miles with it, and it is stalling under dangerous circumstances. It is with a Chevrolet dealer who so far has not been able to diagnose the problem. Anybody got any ideas? The car stalled twice in the middle of a highway, and there is no way I am going to drive the car out of the dealership until the problem is diagnosed and fixed, because if the car stalls in the middle of one of the highways all over this area of Florida, there could be a resultant multiple car pileup with injuries and deaths.
    - Burton H Wolfe