Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• Hi there,

I own a 09 aveo 5, 5spd, and I am trying to do an oil change. I lifted the car on the ramps, and the rain plug is this huge torx fitting, i have no idea what fitting it it.

And the oil filter is near the exhaust manifold on the right, and to my surprise it is a replacable cartridge, not a spin on regular 3387 filter which I assumed it was and bought.

Has anybody done an oil change on an 09 aveo, and had success locating the part number for that filter. Looks like the cap requires a special tool, or very large socket to remove or release it.
  • c118fec118fe Posts: 23
    I switched to synthetic and changed the filter at 5000-exceptable color.Changed oil and filter at 10000 and oil color was beyond black.Now change both at 7500.Color and fingertip quality ok.
  • 08Aveo08Aveo Posts: 3
    I have the same car. If you ever find out the part number and/or where to get the filter it would be great. I took my car in to the dealer for the first oil change and asked the parts guy where to get one and his reply was "The dealership is the only place I know of that has these and I don't know when any outside parts store will have the replacement filter." So, I'm gathering that the dealership is where I get the oil change until I can find the filter on my own.

BTW, the filter they put in has the part #93185674 with the description FILTER 1.836
    The Auto Zone I went to confirmed they don't know the filter either.
  • The statement you made "Companies like Consumer Reports have done a dis-service when it comes to cars because of the way that they accumulate information. Are you aware that their statistics are based only on payed subscribers who answer their surveys." is absolutely TRUE.
    I am a CR subscriber and annually receive a survey re our Ford SUV - and I am NOT a driver. I can only respond based on my limited knowledge and usually respond based on my spouse's experience. No I am no expert on cars, and don't like this survey driven rating since it does not accurately reflect the issues most car owners have. I respond because i try to be as honest as I can hoping to offset the person with a beef. Try to purchase anything using your own common sense and information from people -esp mechanics- who you trust, not companies.
  • Thanks for responding. I am a little scared after reading what happened with your aveo. Mine is still doing the thing with the lights on the dash, but so far, no actual issues with the engine or anything. I'm just waiting for it to happen though. How long did it take yours after you bought it to start having the issues with the lights? How long after that did the car start to fail? thanks, kt
  • Yes it has Dexicool 100,000 miles
    Don't mix regular stuff with it.
  • Fram filters SUCK worse than about anything else.
    Get a KN it has a 1 inch wrench appendage on the top that is easy to tighten with an open end wrench or big crescent wrench from above on an Aveo.

I run synthetic Mobile 1 works fine.
    Starts much easier in the cold and gets 1-2 mpg better.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    >GM has had some issues with Dexicool. It seems that some 3.4, 3.8, 4.3 L engines had some gaskets that couldn't handle the formula leading to manifold gasket leaks and recalls.

The early formula of DexCool had an oxidation inhibitor that didn't work well. To the best I can tell that was replaced with a different chemical after nylon-66 gasket problems became apparent. I would guess that was about 98-99.

IF you have DexCool, do not add any standard old short life green antifreeze to it. That will lead to a gooey mixture. Check radiator occasionally to be sure it is full. DexCool doesn't like being run hot with air present as in a low radiator. Your reservoir tank may be full but the radiator may be low if you have a seep or leak.

There is a newer Prestone Mixes with All Colors and types of Coolant that mixes with it. Some people have used that when draining and refilling their DexCool instead of DexCool. If you look at the bottle which now lists chemicals, DexCool and the Mixes Any Color have the same 4 long life chemicals that are meant to protect coolant systems with various metals present.

Long life DexCool should be replaced every 2-3 years just like regular antifreeze. I would consider a drain where you use the radiator drain or remove a lower hose effective enough.. I rinse mine refilling with plain water a couple of cycles and run the motor to circulate several minutes then drain. I refill with enough pure antifreeze to give protection to the level needed for the volume of the cooling system (listed in owners glovebox manual).

Another hint for some is to clean off the underside of the radiator cap. There's a little disc that goes up to seal the underside when pressure builds up. With DexCool mine had collected goop so I used some Dawn and cleaned it up for a good seal.

This message has been approved.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    I have an old antifreeze tester that has the glass tube with a floating indicator in it. The indicator has green bands with temperatures on it and immediately below has white bands with temperatures. If I recall correctly one of those was for hot antifreeze and one was for cool antifreeze.

Does anyone know how those are to be read?

How accurate are the floating ball types that are the size of a large medicine dropper with 5 little balls. Are those accurate HOT or COLD?

This message has been approved.

• My boyfriends 2004 Chevy Aveo at 69,000 miles will not start. It did this about 6 months ago and it turned out it was the timing belt, which bent a valve I think. Eventually this cost around $700 because my brother worked on it for him. Now the car won't start again, the valves are moving, so it's not the same problem. There's spark going to the coil pack. Any suggestions?
  • I have an 04 Chevy Aveo hatchback with 76000 miles on it, I ended up leaking oil on my way home for visiting my family 450 miles away, When I stopped on the way to get my oil changed they drained my car and while it had no oil I asked them to check the dipstick, and it said I was full on oil. When I took it in to the dealer and had them check out why I was spitting white smoke from my car they told my the pistions, pistion rings, bearings, head gasket, and all seals were bad. I called Chevy to find out about them replacing my engine since that is what has been happening to the car involved in the lawsuit with Toyota, They tried to tell me it was normal ware and tear, I would not except that, I told them that if it was "normal ware and tear", then I would never by a chevy again, and that there are Fords and Dodges still on the roads with org. engines with over 150000 miles on them, and the only differance is where they are made. They are now looking further into it and will be replacing my engine. If you have an issue with your aveo, call chevy and don't take no for an answer.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    It's unfortunate what happened to your car and there are Aveo's on this forum with over 150,000 miles also. Your warranty is expired so don't expect any help in this matter as with any other manufacture whose warranty is up.

Not all Toyota's or Ford's make it to 150,000. It depends alot on different variables including maintenance.
  • I bought a 2008 Aveo and is having problems with it too. One thing is the spedomter being out which I could adapt my driving too. Another is having the service light come on every time its cold out side.The last thing is having the tires not availible at a tire shop,but they have have some at dealer ship.I phoned Chev and complained about some of the problems so they looked in to it.They phoned me back and said the spdometer is out we know but it is within GM specifications.As for the engine light coming on your dealer ship has no records of it. And the tire size your dealer ship can get you some.Im ticked of that my dealer ship made me and the wife sit in the waiting room while they looked at the Engine code and comes back too us and tells us oh dont worry about it.They do that when its cold outside.Then they tell GM they never had my car in there for the light.They are pi$$in me off GRRRR.
    What do you mean by the speedometer is out?

Most cars and motorcycles speedo's are not accurate and are off 2-5 mph.
  • My fiancee has a 2004 Aveo it has a rough idle and is showing three codes, P1781, P1701, and a P0700, the scanner shows severity unknown, I've had it in to be looked at and the shop that looked at it, said it was the vacuum hoses, so they took them off and cleaned and inspected them, and didn't find anything, when they put it back together it was running better, they said to replace the Idle air control valve, but that they couldn't get one in for it for 2 months, I just put it in over the weekend, and it didn't seem to make a difference, they also suggested the MAP sensor, which I can get from rockauto.com. I had an engine scan run on it by the chevy dealership, and they said it was clear, but the codes won't clear off of it, the car has 69,xxx miles on it, and this has been going on for 3 months, fortunately my grandfather is no longer able to drive and we borrowed his car for this whole time. Any help is appreciated, also one of the codes is shared with the transmission, and is not allowing the car to shift into 4th gear.
  • In a message dated August 6, 2008, I mistakenly blamed my Aveo for engine stalling. The problem was not the car, but rather my ignorance of what can happen if you allow a key to dangle in the ignition switch from a key case or key chain. The motion of its swinging will cut off the engine. That results from an overly sensitive ignition switch. You have to use an unsupported key or in any event a key that is not dangling in such a way as to let it swing - at least for the 2007 Aveo hatchback, which I bought new early in 2008. Maybe that does not happen with models from other years.
    Burton Wolfe
  • conda2conda2 Posts: 2
    For me too do 100 km's i have too go at least 110 km.I took my car in told them about the check engine light again there response too me is " Is your car running any different" I told them no they said "Well dont worry about the light then``. Just fed up with car
  • rgraefergraefe Posts: 1
    my wife and i drive 80 miles a day for work. so we needed a fuel efficent car. that's why we bought a 06 chevy aveo. it ran fine when we got it. now when we accelerate to go up a hill which there is alot of hills on the way to work and also when we go to pass someone, it missess and pings badly. it acts like it's going to puke out. once you get over the hill or get past the other car it runs fine. would fuel octane cause this my wife thinks i need to change the spark plugs. so i bought them to please her. but i'm not sure were there at to replace them. i've replace many of plugs in my life but only in older cars. can i replace them myself? is there a service manual that i can download for free
    It sounds like its fuel related. Have you tried different gas or changed the gas filter?
  • anupjanupj Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Chevy Aveo LS sedan (base model with ABS & premium sound)- bought in June 2006 as new. I live in Minnesota where it is very cold. It has about 27,500 miles on it.
    Till now there has not been any problem with it. Drive 20 miles one way to work.
    I do notice that in winters when the car starts, it roars a bit but then cools down :) ....I guess thats normal for the cold weather starts.
    All the time I took it to the mechanic was for oil change and regular maintenance.

I will post any issues I find here....but none so far.