Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• dalekinderdalekinder Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    So, where to start... About 2 months ago I had the timing belt on my aveo changed and new tensioner etc.. 3 days after I got it a loud noise was coming from the timing cover. So we called the shop and we forced them to bring back the car to take a look. My dad is a engineer/mechanic (retired thats why we had to take it to someone to do the belt job) and he told them the noise was not normal, so after the shop hassling us about having to fix it they finally did and it ended up being the tensioner being over torqued and broke. So thats replaced...

Today I let my GF drive my car to work on the way home she had called me and told me the engine jolted real hard lost power and then died. When I got there to see what was wrong the car will turn over but not start. Engine shakes a little bit when trying to do so. Car has a little over 134,000miles and has not been hot rodded in any way.

We got the car towed home (thanks triple AAA, I def recommend their membership to anyone who does not have them it will save you a crap load!) my dad first sprayed some starting fluid into the intake, it wont even start from that or act like its going to. we took the spark plug from #1 firing and conducting a test with a curtain hanger and a long wire connected to #1 on the cap and grounded it and started.. it has spark.. so no issues there. When we try to start it just turns over and thats it.

I dont think the timimg belt is broke bc the engine is not locked up. however we can not take it back to the same shop that did the work because we had to sign something for them to fix the tensioner for the 2nd time for free because they gave us hassle and the document basically says their not liable after any issues occur after its fixed.

All the lights light up like normal when the key is on, I can hear the fuel pump turning on when the key is turned so I dont think thats the issue, where should we start? Is it possible that it jumped time. Any suggestions would be helpful at this point before we tear it down and start trouble shooting, I think the first thing is to see if it did infact jump time, and maybe the 2nd tensioner went bad, wont know until we pull it apart. Thanks for looking and for your time! I look forward to seeing your responses.
  • Hi. to all that have the aveo stalling problem. I had it too untill today !! My 2009 Aveo would stall almost daily while driving in town, specially after it had warmed up and run also very insecure even on the highways. Molle chevrolet in Blue Springs MO found the problem. They combed through the whole car and found it to be a ground wire behind the dashboard. Tech term = Repaired dash ground 102. The car runs now without any problem. They fixed a few other connectors. it is definately a ground wire problem. The car runs so different now it is amazing.
    I hope this is helping everybody with the same problem. Make sure each reports this problem to GM, so they can make a decission to make a serious recall since it is not safe to drive the car , plus the diagnostic is not reading a darn thing, neither is any warning light coming on in the vehicle.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,078
    rocketriot,
    I am glad to hear your dealer was able to fix your concerns. I most definitely agree anyone experiencing issues should report their issues to GM. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mrszackmrszack Posts: 4
    Purchased our 2010 Chevy Aveo 94 days ago. It stalled the first week, continued to stall the second week. Keeps stalling. I have been in total denial since purchasing this car thinking it was just the new car needing to be driven host of reasons. Thinking-Wishing-Praying it was "is" just a glitch...temporary thing and today the sad fact is it is NOT! Now we have charged the battery twice it will not hold a charge. Now I am reading all of the problems with this Aveo here on Edmunds and other posts. I know with all the info on the Internet I should have done my homework before buying this car. Looks like I am in for an Electrical Problem. Right now I am to see the tow truck driver first thing in the morning to tow it to Medved Chevrolete...absolute imposition total drag and frankly is it right to have to have a car repaired that only has 254 miles on it! ? !
  • barkydogbarkydog Posts: 45
    My 2009 has about 8000 miles on it with no problems. This could be as simple as a loose battery cable. But since you say the battery "will not hold a charge", it might also be that you have left a door or a light on that is draining the battery.

I can understand your frustration, but don't condemn the car prematurely.

OTOH, DO "hold the dealer's feet to the fire" and have them diagnose and correct the problem.
  • There is one other possibility you might check. If you use a key chain or key case that dangles from the ignition switch, that can cause the switch to go to the off position - hence, the "stall." It is best to use the key only in the ignition switch.
    Burton
    I can understand your frustration with this being a new vehicle and all, but I am glad to see that you are planning to work with the dealership to resolve the concern. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding the fix. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • You are totally wrong. I traded it in on a Hundai Accent. I refuse to deal with cars that have problems which can't be easily identified. I need reliable transportation. I will never buy an Aveo again.
    James the mechanic at the Dealership frowned when we picked up the car. They replaced the battery. James mentioned that if there is a ground wire problem they can not find it and if it happens again have it towed in again and they will look again. He said sometimes Electrical problems are illusive and take a few tries to fix. ....Not Good for me good for you for having an Aveo that you can trust.... as for my Aveo ... I don't trust it.
    BWolfe thanks for the suggestion. This Aveo was purchased for a Flower delivery business. The actual flimsy white tag with the Vehicles vin# is actually the only key available for this vehicle, I locked up the spare- we have yet to even put it on a key chain and this vehicle which has been driven 3 times, again it only has or had 254 miles on it when we experienced stalling problems and this now battery that lost its charge.
    First time it was taken from the Dealership at 8pm and at a stop light it stalled. Second time a trip to the Flower shop from its stored location and it stalled third time a trip to Home depot and it stalled I drove it that last time and it was in the middle of the day, the trip was quick, I did not even turn on the radio, needed no exterior lights and when I returned it was parked. I dropped off a set of keys for someone and did not load a thing into this car. So how someone could leave a "Light" on defense totally blows. A car should not lose its charge. Somethings amiss. The stalls by the way twice were
    when the car was at a stop light while idling. Once just after starting the car it started idled stopped. The fourth time we attempted to drive this vehicle dead battery that the tow driver (we called triple a forgetting about the warranty) Triple A said this battery wont hold its charge. So was of right now hate to say it but there seems to be an Ground wire problem with this Aveo.
  • dappismom1dappismom1 Posts: 1
    sorry to hear about your troubles...My daughters car has had similar problems...It started stalling..she would stop and restart and no problem...4 weeks ago it stalled and wouldn't restart...had it towed to shop....timing pulley broke and damaged heads/valves...$1700 to repair that....last week it was making a loud noise/she pulled over and we towed back to the shop....It has thrown a rod/ damaged engine/crank...new engine $4200....get rid of this car...it's not worth all the problems...now I'm stuck with a car that doesn't run and I still owe money on....
    mrszack,

Thank you for the updates. Please continue to work with your dealership. Keep me posted on any information from dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • clowniexclowniex Posts: 1
    I got my 2008 abel last year. The day after I had it it was in the shop three days in a row for the oil light problem. They " fixed" it with a sensor that goes to a volvo. Now the the head gasket has gone out and was a longer job to fix that expected. That was thankfully covered by the extended warenty. Now two days latter it is back on the lift. I had to have it towed there after the oil light came on and the engine was leaking oil like a stuck pig. Now the oil sending unit is blessing out from all around it, and im in a rental yet again. Don't know the warenty is going to cover this or not yet, couldn't get an answer on that one from anyone yet. I hate this car. Chevy needs to recap this rolling money pit before some one gets seriously injured or worse. As soon as I can I am dumping this car and getting something that isn't listed on car sights as a "bad idea," before something else goes wrong.
  • mick1mick1 Posts: 84
    edited May 2011
    we have a 2009 pontiac g3(same car as aveo5) with exactly the same problem. Finally took it into dealer having 18,000 miles. They didn't have a fix for it, they reflashed the computer and said we'll see if it's fixed. Needless to say it's not fixed. we probably have to wait until it doesn't start at all and need a tow. Otherwise car is good.
    mick1,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • mick1mick1 Posts: 84
    vin#KL2TD66E89B653820, THANKS
    mick1,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • coinslotscoinslots Posts: 4
    This problem was solved a long time ago, thank you for trying to help. It was the idle control valve if I remember right.
    Rodger
  • dotdijakdotdijak Posts: 3
    I have had my 2006 aveo for the last five years. I had stalling problems and jerking from day 1. I have had almost everything replaced due to other problems and it appear the stalling has always been related to the poor design of the fuel injector systems and you can not fill the car over the fill line. Humidity and cold are not the aveo's friends. Now the cam is going which also causes the car to knock and stall and make a clicking sound when hood is open. Also for some of you , please heed the warning about changing the timing belts and engine belts before the 60,000 mile mark, even if the belts look good. It will save you a hassle with warranties and engine and transmission later as my relative found out. I heeded the warning and never had a problem.
  • anprobanprob Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Since March, our local dealership has had our '09 Aveo for close to a month over 4 or 5 visits for the same repair. They have been unable to get it to fail to start while they have it in their possession. On the most recent visit, the ignition switch was replaced. When we we got it home and pulled it into the driveway, turned it off, then tried to start it again it failed to start again. The symptom is that when the key is turned to the start position nothing happens. No clicks. Just lights, radio and blower fan cut out as they should. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it takes 20 or 30 cycles into the start position before it will start. They have re-flashed the computer, looked at the neutral/park switch, and the starter. We dropped it off again tonight so they can look at it again. We are very frustrated to say the least. When the car is at the shop, we have to borrow a vehicle to drive so we can carry on with our lives. Any help would be great!
    anprob,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
  • anprobanprob Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. No we have not. How do we go about it?
    anprob,

I would be happy to assist in setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
  • I've never had an issue with my starter but today, I thought I needed a jump start when actually, my starter went. Currently my estimate is $615 and that is from the dealer which I can't afford. Does anyone know where I can get this done at a cheaper rate. Right now, I have no other means of transportation.
  • My wife was driving to work in her 2009 Chevy Aveo and while on the highway, the car just died. Stalled while moving at a torrent pace of 20Km/h. She put it in park and then restarted the car no problem and was able to make it into work. This is the 2nd time this has happened to her and after taking the car to the dealer, all they could say is that they found nothing wrong with it. Anyone else have this type of issue with the 09 Aveo's (the stalling) ? Is this common?
  • You are describing a problem that began occurring shortly after I bought my 2007 Aveo. The cause was discovered and the Chevrolet division of GM was nostified of the problem and how to correct it. The problem was caused by my using a key case to house the ignition key. Either the heaviness of the case or the motion of its dangling caused the computer to cut off the ignition. Since which of the two possibilities could not be ascertained, I did not switch to a key chain. Instead, I just use the key without any attachment. It's a bit of a nuisance to keep the key separate in one of my pockets. But since that has proved to be a surefire way to stop the stalling, that is what I do. I put up with it because my Aveo has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned, notwithstanding the overly sensitive ignition switch problem. IF that turns out to be your problem - and that is a big IF - then shame on the Chevrolet division of GM for not correcting it by now, since its officers were notified of it by me several years ago. - Burton H. Wolfe/bhwolfe(at)msn.com.
  • Did my reply come through? I got a message stating that it did not. - BHW