Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• sparky101sparky101 Posts: 2
    I started getting a PO304 last week. A first it was just a few skips that wouldn't throw a code, but it steadily got worse. I use a Scan Gauge to help improve MPG, and it can show and can clear codes. I cleared it to see if it would come on again. It did. Now my 2009 Aveo will hardly pull a hill.

Is there really a recall, or is it only a service bulletin on 2009 Aveos? Just recently went over 31,000 miles, and purchased this used from a dealer. :cry:
  • meshell55meshell55 Posts: 6
    edited May 2012
    I got a letter from Chevrolet about 2 weeks AFTER my car started acting rough, sluggish and like it wasn't getting any gas. It's a voluntary Emission Recall for all 2009 Aveos with a 1.6L gas engine. It has to do with the spark plugs and spark plug boots degrading. The dealer I took it to is in a small town and he did 8 recalls when I got to him. Mine was the only one that ACTUALLY had cracked spark plugs... My car has 37,000 miles on it.
    I have to keep this info for future reference: New spark plug # 25186682 and the gap is: 0.031-0.035 inch (0.8-0.9mm). Replacement interval is every 25,000 miles. Apparently it's been occurring after 30,000- 33,000 miles to others. Hopefully this will help others...
  • slh727slh727 Posts: 1
    I got the same recall notice. I also got the engine light and performance problem on Friday. Mine is a 2009 with 22,000 miles on it that I bought new. I also went to Advance Auto and it's coding a misfire on cylinder #4. I called the dealership and he scheduled me for this Thursday. But his comment was the recall shouldn't cause the engoine light to come on. After reading this Forum it's obvious it's been a problem for a couple of years. But after readind all of this it seems I better not drive it until Thursday..
  • chulichuchulichu Posts: 1
    My husband and I purchased a 2009 chevy aveo Lt hatchback just a little less than a month ago. Yesterday I noticed that one of the brake lights was not working. He took the car to the dealer where we purchased it, since we are still under the 30 day time frame. My husband wanted to make sure it is not an electrical problem. It turns out that the car has a recall on the spark plugs. Is that serious? My husband is thinking of returning the car. The seller apologized because during the negotiations of the car he didn't realize it had a recall. Is that going to be a constant issue? Will it affect other areas? Someone please advice, thank you!!!! My husband and I are happy that we caught the problem just days before the 30 day time frame the dealer gave us, maybe God is keeping us from more problems later on.
    I'll be waiting for suggestions and your advice!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Spark plugs aren't an integral part of the vehicle and aren't related to build quality. If it's just bad spark plugs and they're under recall (defective part), then replacing them will fix the bad spark plug issue. Spark plugs ARE wear & tear items (like the battery), so you'll have to replace them in the future, but they really are not an expensive part - we're talking a $5 - $10 part here, something you can purchase at any auto parts store like Autozone.

Have them do the recall work, and if that cures the problem, then you shouldn't experience the issue again. While you have the car there, it's worth having it checked out for other issues.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sammy34156sammy34156 Posts: 1
    Just bought my 2005 Aveo 3 days ago. within the first few miles of driving it the engine light and HOLD LIGHT began to flash. The hold light turns off when I put the car in park, but anytime that Im driving its continuously flashing. I noticed that the 3rd gear felt funny, the RPM would go higher when I reached about 45 mph- just before it shifts into 3rd. I read through the Manual and found out the HOLD light means its holding in a certain gear. So obviously the transmission is not shifting right. My thing is, I noticed that lots of people are reporting different things resolving this issue. Spark plugs, fuses...ect. Autozone hooked up their computer and its throwing a misfire code. The car runs beautifully, but Im really worried about that 3rd gear.
  • barkydogbarkydog Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    "Spark plugs aren't an integral part of the vehicle and aren't related to build quality."

Oh, really? If they are not "an integral part", try driving any vehicle without spark plugs...

Actually Chevy now realizes that the plugs and coil packs are prone to failure, which is what the recall addresses. The problem is more than just "wear and tear" - otherwise there would be no recall of it.

"While you have the car there, it's worth having it checked out for other issues."

If it's covered under warranty with no cost to you, that's a good idea. Other than that, don't let the stealership sell you anything that's not covered. In other words, don't be a chump and be told that it's your problem rather than theirs.
    Oh good grief. Yes, they are integral part of making the vehicle run... obviously. So is the battery, which I also mentioned. They are small, potentially defective parts that have NO effect on other components. Get them replaced, and if that's the only issue, it's solved. It isn't indicative of an overall design flaw or build quality issue. It's one defective part that's easy to replace - we replace spark plugs on our motorcycles and lawn mower just about every year.

And example of design flaw/build quality issues can be found in, say, the several makes/models that have a flawed design in the ABS module that may cause the vehicle to catch fire. THAT is a big issue.

I believe the original poster said that he/she is under a 30-day return option. That's a good reason to get the vehicle checked out in case there are other issues that may warrant being concerned about the vehicle's build quality.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• barkydogbarkydog Posts: 45
    "Oh good grief."

Yes, grief indeed. When your car dies suddenly, that can cause “grief”.

"Yes, they are integral part of making the vehicle run... obviously."

In your previous post you said they weren’t – which is why I took issue with it.

"So is the battery, which I also mentioned. They are small, potentially defective parts that have NO effect on other components."

NO. And here’s what you fail to recognize: The life of a battery is time related. All batteries will fail over a period of approximately 3 years or so, due to the nature of their life as a chemically viable part. Spark plugs and coil packs are NOT prone to time related decay and failure. If they fail prematurely, that is due to improper design or application: in other words the failure is from design flaws or bad engineering.

"Get them replaced, and if that's the only issue, it's solved. It isn't indicative of an overall design flaw or build quality issue."

It definitely IS a design flaw affecting both the coil and the spark plugs, which are now being replaced with those of a different design. IF THIS WEREN’T A DESIGN FLAW, WHY IS THERE NOW A RECALL FOR IT?

"It's one defective part that's easy to replace - we replace spark plugs on our motorcycles and lawn mower just about every year."

Do you drive your lawnmower 25 thousand miles a year? Or are you replacing spark plugs just for the fun of doing so? Why are you acting as an apologist for Chevrolet? Are you ignorant of engine technology, or are you on GM’s payroll?

"And example of design flaw/build quality issues can be found in, say, the several makes/models that have a flawed design in the ABS module that may cause the vehicle to catch fire. THAT is a big issue."

And when a coil pack fails, you contend that that’s not a "big issue"? So to you only things that cause a vehicle to catch fire are “big issues”?

"I believe the original poster said that he/she is under a 30-day return option. That's a good reason to get the vehicle checked out in case there are other issues that may warrant being concerned about the vehicle's build quality."

Yes, I agree: we Aveo owners should hold GM responsible for the engineering flaw and insist on having this recall work done. If this weren’t an issue (one that has left owners stranded when their car suddenly dies) there wouldn’t be any recall, would there?
    Well, we've both stated our opinions, and the original poster and others can decide for themselves whether the need to replace faulty spark plugs means that the entire vehicle is likely to be a giant heap of garbage, or whether they should replace the spark plugs under warranty and move on.

Our lawnmower is a riding lawnmower that does heavy-duty work. It gets very dirty. Spark plugs could be cleaned, but for the price and ease of replacement, we usually just replace.

I've been driving for nearly 30 years, and I've owned exactly one GM product - a Chevette that I purchased in 1989 for $300. I could hardly be accused of being a GM fangirl.

• sparky101sparky101 Posts: 2
    Well, I never heard back from Sara at GM Customer Service about my code P0304, so I bought some new plugs for my 2009 Aveo5. The plug that had been in cylinder #4 had a hairline fracture in the ceramic. I've only seen something like this once before, but it is easy to detect as it left a black flair at the crack. I gapped the new plugs at the standard .44, installed them and put the coil-over back in place. The car runs like new (39-40 MPG to and from work). The next day I got my notice from GM of a "voluntary recall." At a minimum, it includes new improved rubber boots on the coil-over, and a different range spark plug with a smaller gap. I'm assuming the new GM part is a colder range plug, and I'm amazed that they have a considerably smaller gap (to run cooler? to put less stress on the coils?). I will probably put my old plugs back in, get the code, and take it to my dealer for the recall so I get the redesigned, re-engineered parts. I noticed two additional things 1. the Aveo plugs now get changed every 25,000 miles, and 2. the cam belt gets changed at 100,000 (this belt used to cause all kinds of motor damage and was to be changed at 60,000 miles - so this has been improved also). Loving my little Chevys (I have a 2005 hatchback also).
  • Thank you, ecotec. My 2010 Aveo owner's manual seems desinged to purposefully keep me in the dark about how to change the oil and filter. Their engine and then manual designs could not be that owner unfriendly by accident.
  • My 2009 Chevy Aveo, I start the car and it starts and then shuts off? I restart and struggles to stay on but usually does, sometimes I have to step on the gas to rev RPM's for a few and then is running fine. Of course I have taken it in I have 18,860 KM on this vehicle spent my entire savings to buy it brand new in 2009. They keep telling me that everything is fine the there are no issues showing on the diagnostic. Well there is a problem. Happens when the weather out side is chilly and winter is right around the corner and I am sure will have major problems. I have to say the dealership has been wonderful however this needs to be found. Also New Struts going on in couple of days, for goodness sakes I have barley driven the darn thing and this clunking I have been hearing for 2 years is the Struts, I am in shock. I can not afford this and need help really bad any suggestions?? The dealership is great and is doing my struts on good faith due to the very low KM and I am so appreciative but come on I can not afford another car or repairs, like I said I spent my life saving working 2 jobs.
  • Good afternoon sadaveoowner,

As you're using kilometers as your unit of measure, am I correct in guessing that you're writing from Canada? If you would like to speak with Customer Assistance, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST). I hope you're able to reach a speedy resolution!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah, Yes I am in Canada and I thank you for the information you have provided. I have an appointment tomorrow with the GM dealer in Terrace British Columbia, Canada. This site is amazing and have learned what may be by myself researching. Like I said the dealership has been Wonderful!! If we can not find a resolution to the problem I will use your contact information. Have a great day!
  • migrodrimigrodri Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    My wife is having the same problem of the car accelerating on its own after having her timing belt replaced. It does not do it all the time and the dealership can't seem to figure out what the problem is. We have taken it back four times. It works for a couple days then all of a sudden we will be at a stop and it will rev as if it is trying to go forward. It also sometimes does it when we put it in park. Then its fine for a few days then it does it again.
  • We're sorry to hear that this engine concern you're having with your Aveo is so difficult to track down. If we can look into this further for you, please email us the following information at socialmediagm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• Did the recall for the emission help with this problem?

Reason for This Recall: General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary Emissions Recall involving all 2009 model year Chevrolet Aveo vehicles equipped with a 1.6L gas engine. A degraded connection between the spark plug boots on the ignition coil assembly and the spark plugs may cause the illumination of the Check Engine Soon light, rough engine operation, and lack of engine power.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will install new spark plug boots and spark plugs. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What Should You Do: Please contact your Chevrolet dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date and to assure part availability. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know much time will be needed to schedule, process, and repair your vehicle.

The new GM spark plug number and new spark plug gap are listed below. Please update your owners manual or place this letter in your owners manual for future reference.
  • The Chevy Aveo apparantly uses surplus engines from years past to produce the cheapest car possible. This is the only explanation I can come up with for engines that are out of production and the fact that they have so many problems. I am currently rebuilding my nieces' engine from a 2004. The car is exquiusite. No flaws on the interior, the engine looks like you could eat off it. She had it for 6 months and it blew. She is 20 years old and in the reserves. Serving her country in the National Guard and has a car that leaves her stranded. It is a Daiwoo engine that is out of production. Anyway, the machine shop we took the head to says they are famous for this. The plastic housing on the thermostat cracked and the car ran hot, warping the head. We had to have a valve job, new valve seats and gaskets. Haven't put it back together , yet, but we will definitely replace the water pump, the timing belt, the tensioners and anything else we think were compramised before we try to fire it up again. This is the worst engine ever. Make sure you have the timing right if you are in the same position, or else you will be pulling the head back off. This is the worst car ever. I have never been a Chevy fan, and seriously would not be working on this if it wasnMt my nieces' car. Chevy should be ashamed to call themselves Americans.
  • My dash lights and clock had long been gone then, My tail lights wouldn't flare at night on my 2005 aveo. I had new fuses put in fuse box to correct the problems and now it's burned out leaving me with no sensor activity from my fuel pump, So my car won't start. All within 3 hours of the repair.
  • Hello marq123,

If your dealership had performed the repair you mention in your post, we're happy to follow up on this with them. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with further details (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• Holy Smokes Batman! How much money do you think you've put into this car? I was thinking about buying a 2008 for about 4 grand with only 80,000 miles on it. I don't know now- this forum has me scared. I already knew Consumer reports is down on the AVeo- but I thought if I bought a one-owner that had been cared for- maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I did have a Daewoo made Pontiac Lemans in the 90's that was nice- but pure junk. Sounds like the AVeo may be similar.
  • i been having the same problems with my 2004 chevy aveo since may of 2012.everything i have read about this car is happening with my at only 42,000 miles on it.an the gm company has told me the same thing,they can not an will not help.i think some one should start a class action civil suit against them about these cars no matter what the year is.if any one does PLEASE let me know cause i am saving everything i find on the internet about these cars in my favors an then printing them all out.right now i have a 5,000 ton paper weight sitting in a drive way, which if i move it i risk a head gasket over an engine which i do not have 3,000 dollars to replace an engine. AN GENERAL MOTORS REFUSES ANY TYPE OF FINACIAL ASST. in helping any one.an i have stuck all most 2,000 dollars into my all ready.can not afford this repair.thanks,barb
  • Within days of getting a 2004 Chevy Aveo w/manual transmission, the Coil Pack failed. A few days later and only around 55,000 miles, the timing belt snapped causing all my valves to be destroyed. Now approaching 90k, I have a whole new problem. I got a bad O2 sensor code. Within days, the car was reving and accelerating at random on the freeway. I replaced the O2 sensor immediately, and now the codes are gone but the car won't idle in the morning and after about 15 minutes of driving stalls every time the clutch is depressed. I saw multiple notices on this same group of problems. Does anyone know how to check if my car was ever updated or have a reliable solution before I dump the thousands of dollars it sounds like some of you did? Thanks in advance.
  • I was driving my 2009 Chevy Aveo when it suddenly dropped speed from 45mph to 20mph. No matter how hard I pressed on the accelerator my Aveo wouldn't go past 20mph. I then noticed the engine light was on. Then while idling at a red light, my Aveo began revving and wanted to shoot forward. But when I proceeded to drive again it's speed stayed at 20mph. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership and I explained my problem to the service writer. A few hours later I received a call informing me that my vehicle problem was the power harness but I think they meant the chassis harness. The cost would be $1300 to replace. Now I'm reading about the GM recall on the 2009 Aveo which calls for the installation of new spark plug boots and spark plugs; a degraded connection between the spark plug boots on the ignition coil assembly and the spark plugs may cause the illumination of the Check Engine Light, rough engine operation, and lack of engine power. It sounds a lot like my problem. So if it is, why am I being told something completely different and being charged?
  • Lol nice I am not sure they know what is wrong with these which is why I was happy to get rid of mine and traded it in site unseen to the dealer and still received excellent blue book price on it with the issues it had. I did the spark plugs on mine and it still did not correct the problems i was having.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    mario1121,

If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).