Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rondo vs Outlander/Rav4/Santa Fe/Mazda5

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I'd rather see the Rondo & Mazda5 get better MPG...at least high 20s to low 30s average. They're currently only getting not much better than a full-size minivan or CUVs.
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    My 2007 EX V6 7-seater has been getting 28-29 mpg on the highway, and 24-25 around town.
  • taz16taz16 Posts: 29
    Yup I agree with bgw, their gas mileage is actually good and comapare well with 4-Cyl compact and midsize cars, and thats just the V6 model, should the 4 should do even better than that.
    Also like I mention before about fuel ecomony its good and both them weight as much as Small SUV's, but more frugal in gas, also the more stricted fuel regulations, that lower there fuel ecomony mpg as with mostly every other single automobile.
  • More details and pics:

eilros, "Mazda5" #1206, 16 Oct 2007 7:03 pm

- 2nd row seat A/C vents
    - Updated Central Console
    - Very distinctive exterior new color
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    This is a copy of "carstalk" post from another tread on this forum:
    " Consumer Report listed Mitsubishi Outlander as best small SUV choice for reliability. Honda tops Toyota, but no mention of Rav4, CR-V and Santa Fe...
    Read article on http://www.mercurynews.com/drive/ci_7200769
    then click on related story "Toyota slips behind rivals..."

Wagon/Minivan
    Best: Pontiac Vibe, Scion xB
    Worst: Chevrolet Uplander, Hyundai Entourage

Small SUV
    Best: Honda Element, Mitsubishi Outlander
    Worst: Dodge Nitro, Jeep Wrangler (four-door)

Mid-size SUV
    Best: Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot
    Worst: Land Rover Range Rover, Land Rover Range Rover Sport
  • The Institute For Consumer Automotive Research (never heard of them before, but I'm not American) compared nine rather disparate vehicles under the category, Inexpensive 6-Passenger Vehicles. The website states, "These nine represent an odd grouping, but they share the merits of additional passenger capacity under $20,000, using CarsDirect target prices for vehicles with an automatic transmission." There will probably be great discussion over the sanity of grouping these vehicles together, but hey, I'm just the messenger. So which is the best budget-priced passenger hauler? Here are the results:

1. Dodge Caravan
    2. Kia Rondo
    3. Dodge Grand Caravan
    4. Chevrolet Uplander
    5. Mazda5
    6. Chevrolet Silverado Classic
    7. Nissan Titan
    8. Chevrolet Impala
    9. Chevrolet Colorado

(BTW, for the zero or one of you who might be wondering why I haven't been posting in these comparative threads like I used to, it's because I simply had run out of things to say. When I started telling increasingly irrelevant anecdotes--much like this one :D--I knew it was time to move on.)
  • timtlmtimtlm Posts: 5
    OK, I have to say this article is completely out of line. I understand comparing all 6 passenger vehicles under $20K, but at least half of these vehicles start at over $20K and are a max of 5 passengers. Plus, there are a number of other inconsistancies with this article. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I heard the 5 was getting a 5th ratio for the automatic tranny, along with better highway mileage. Is that true?
  • Yes indeed, which is very good news as it has been highlighted often by auto-tranny potential buyers (I drive manual so no trouble here :P). A Wall Street Journal review is reporting 1-2 MPG improvements (22MPG City-28MPG Highway I believe) over the 2006-2007 4AT, yet to be honest I think some more realistic numbers will come until the 08s hit the road :).
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    does anyone know when the 2008 model will be available in the US and Canada. At the present both websites are still only showing 2007 info.
  • Would you mean the official Mazda USA and Mazda CA sites?

According to Kicking Tires, the cars will hit the dealerships Winter 2007 in the US. I'm assuming Canada is very close to that given how they are shipped from Japan. Now, they will be "officially" announced in the Mazda site Mid November (it seems).

Winter is a long season though... :D

Here is the source:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/10/ch-ch-changes-2.html
  • eilroseilros Posts: 35
    conwelpic, I was told by a Mazda USA rep that the US website will be updated with 2008 info on November 14th. My local Mazda dealer said they expect to start receiving the 2008 in late Jan-early Feb.
  • Talking about weird comparisons, but this one makes more sense though. The Mazda5 has an excellent turning ratio to maneuver (i.e. to park) and is not as a gas guzzler as other cars. 19MPG seems a low number, but I'm assuming purely heavy city driving.

There aren't many minivans that scream "city-friendly," but the Mazda5 takes the family-hauler concept and shrinks it to a manageable size that still has room for six. The 2008 model has a fresh look but retains its distinct Japanese edginess. Even though it's 20 inches shorter than a Honda Odyssey, the Mazda5 is still substantial, coming in at almost exactly the same length as a Toyota RAV4. Steering is sharp for tight parking maneuvers, and the ride is relatively smooth.
    Length: 181.5 inches
    Turning circle: 34.8 feet
    Seats: 6
    City MPG: 19

http://www.cars.com/go/about/us.jsp?section=P&content=rel&date=20071002
    Mazda5......................Mitsubishi Outlander
    Length: 181.5 inches............182.7 inches
    Turning circle: 34.8 feet.......34.8 feet
    Seats: 6 ................................7
    City MPG: 19......................19 MPG City AWD, V6 Auto
    22 MPG City AWD, New 08 trim- 4 cyl CVT(estimate)

This is a comparison, you need at least 2 cars to do it. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Agreed - very good news. Kudos to Mazda for spending money where it counts.

Wonder if they'll improve the center console, too? Offer a 7 seat model?
  • This is a comparison, you need at least 2 cars to do it

Agree, my bad :blush:. My wording was based on the fact that Cars.com had to compare all these diff. "purpose" cars to get to the final list, but I get it, did not look like an apples to apples type thing.

Those numbers look good in the Uplander BTW, I really like that car, problem I'm not into SUVs. Also, SUVs are not really hot for city driving IMO.
    Uplander???? Thats one of the worst minivans on the market.
    You should test Mitsubishi Outlander yourself to find it's
    near perfect handling and performance. The numbers are much better than any minivan out there, and better than most SUVs.
  • Arrggh, even the name is confusing! I was referring to the Outlander. Not my day to reply in here, LOL.

By the way, if you trace back this thread some months, I put the Outlander 2nd on my wish list. I really like it, except, as I said, I'm not an SUV fan (nor wife, who drives the Mazda5 everyday).
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    That Nov. 14th date has come and gone - have you heard any more info on the updating of the web site?
  • Would this help?

Close enough to get most of the 2008 model info (from Mazda USA, including pricing):

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1638&press- - _subsection_id=421&make_id=227
This discussion has been closed.