Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rondo vs Outlander/Rav4/Santa Fe/Mazda5

Comments

• driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I'd certainly admit a sunroof is useless if it's not used. My last vehicle didn't have one, the vehicle previous to that did, and I now have one again. My wife and I both missed it, both of us not liking to feel too closed in when in the car. Good ventilation too. Now I don't always have to drive with the windows down.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,702
    I wrote "fairly rare brand that isn't doing that well (at least in the states".

You wrote "This is not supported by facts"

Mitsubishi may be on an upswing, but I don't know how you can call less than one percent of the market in the US "doing that well", regardless of the small improvement. That is what I characterize as a "fairly rare brand".

"The bleeding has stopped and they've stabilized, and that's good, but they still are in a weak position in the U.S.," said Jim Hossack, vice president of the industry forecaster AutoPacific.

I'm not anti Mitsubishi, as I recommended one to my mother many years ago (and she bought it). She found that dealers were few and far between and after a number of years it was hard to find many places to get it repaired. Parts often took quite a while to receive.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,702
    You wrote:
    I think the Mazda5 is an excellent concept, except Mazda kinda missed the boat on a couple of features:

5-speed automatic; traction & stability control. A V6 would also help.

I agree on the 5 speed. I'm in CA and we don't get ice, until a few years ago we all survived without traction and stabilit control, so those features weren't deal breakers. We didn't want a V6 as we were looking for mileage more than power. Our previous minivan, a 1994 Mercury Villager, had the same horsepower in a heavier package, so it's all relative.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    If he drives an Audi S6 I feel for him. He should be looking elsewhere. Acura MDX comes to my mind as the cheapest, fun to drive, 7 seater, premium SUV.
    Forget about Rondo, Santa Fe and like. On the cheap side of the spectrum, the Outlander is the only choice. Mazda CX7 doesn't have 7 seats, but the CX9 might be worth checking out.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I wish Mitsu well, I've owned three of their cars. However, compared to the Rondo or (especially) Santa Fe, the Outlander really lacks in interior quality. That's got to count for something.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    Depends. Personally I hate most fake wood interiors, so the Outlander interior looks much sportier and more appealing to me. The simple and modern design of the Outlander interior was a big reason that I chose it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    moment and second that emotion on Mitsu interiors. I haven't seen the new Outlander's interior in person but my new '08 Lancer GTS' interior could be described as simple and sporty(and yes, modern)as well. Therefore, I could be pretty easily persuaded that the '07 Mitsu Outlander's interior would look simple and modern. Of these SUV/crossovers I would hone my intense research down to the Outlander and the Rondo.

You can't really go wrong with a new Kia. ;)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• chelentanochelentano Posts: 634
    interior in white leather looks pretty good to me:

• dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    The interior/exterior assessment is strictly a personal matter. I like the Outlander's interior design even though I agree that it could use some better quality materials in some places. However, I cannot stand the Santa Fe's interior design, not to mention the fake wood. They may have better materials, but this doesn't do it for me. As far as Rondo is concerned, I cannot even look at it, never mind consider buying it.
    But that's just me. Some obviously like both Rondo and Santa Fe. So I guess, since the looks are subjective, they shouldn't play a roll in any comparison.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    30K? Unless that is in canadian dollars, that is not a good deal. Especially for a demo.
  • dnatodaydnatoday Posts: 8
    Thanks all for your input. We finally bought a Rondo this weekend at Boch Kia in Norwood, MA. We got the Ex with Leather & Premium packages, & the crossbars & bumper protector. I think we got a good price-- $22315, which is about a thousand less than the Edmunds TMV price. We did not trade in the Honda, so we have that to sell if you know anyone who is interested...

The are going to make it up though because we did take their extended warranty which gives us 10 years bumper to bumper-- with this car being in it's first year in the US, we decided it was worth it. We tend to keep our cars awhile & in 8 years our oldest will be able to drive.

I've driven about 130 miles so far and the gas gauge is at 1/2, so we will have to see on the mileage. My husband put the tires to 34 psi-- thanks for the tip!

When we were showing off the car to the in-laws, a BMW X3 parked in the space next to us. The Rondo has the SAME body & interior styling as this car-- the rear side window is the same & the two tone interior-- black & tan is EXACTLY the same! I felt very good about that!

I'm still getting used to driving an automatic, but we have been having fun with it. Really!
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    Congratulations and glad we could help. I think we would be interested on what some of the deciding factors in selecting the Rondo over the other vehicles that you had mentioned. I know I would, as the Rondo has certainly got my interest, but I won't be in a position to purchase till the 2008 model. Thanks.
  • bnkausikbnkausik Posts: 5
    sorry to hear that. no comparison between the rondo and mazda5 on quality, brand image and reliability. and the price makes it a wooden nickel.

sorry!
  • medicinemanmedicineman Posts: 135
    Gee, that was a super informative post. I was wondering when the fanboys would show up.

Presuming that you're a Mazda5 owner, perhaps the Original Poster's choice of the Rondo shakes you a little? You don't need to feel threatened by the OP's choice, nor do you need to feel vindicated whenever someone chooses the Mazda5. Just be happy with your own choice based on your own preferences. Just enjoy your Mazda5.

BTW, I also comparison-shopped the Rondo and Mazda5. I chose the Rondo. My choice of the Rondo in no way implies that I think the Mazda5 is an inferior product--it just means I had a greater preference for what the Rondo had to offer. I happen to like the Mazda5 and I probably would have chosen it if it could seat up to seven.

As I stated in an earlier post, a majority of the reviews for the Rondo have been toward the positive side and only a handful (two that I could find) were definitely negative.

In the 2007 Consumer Reports reliability ratings, Hyundai ranked 7th and Kia ranked 17th out of 36. Kia's ranking is hardly earth shattering, but it may come as a shock to those who think that Kia absolutely must be the worst auto company out there.

The truth is, the Hyundai-Kia group has come a long way in a very short period of time. People's perceptions just haven't caught up to this new reality (source):

Despite their recent success, both suffer from earlier quality lapses, says Chris Denove, a partner in J.D. Power.

"Without question, Hyundai and Kia are two of the most improved brands as far as quality," Denove says. "Unfortunately, consumer perception has lagged behind, so that many consumers still don't shop those brands because they don't think the quality has improved.

"It takes a long time for consumers to realize that improvements have been made," he says.

The big boss of Hyundai-Kia is a stickler for quality (although he's currently under investigation for corruption in South Korea, for what it's worth--source):

Hyundai is a perfect example of what good leadership can do. The chairman of the Hyundai-Kia group is a fanatic about quality and he has instilled that fanaticism into the very fibre of the company. Really, the quality is there now.

Take it from someone who was actually involved in designing the seats for the Sonata (source):

and working with Hyundai. they complain about quality to their suppliers worse than toyota, honda. they nit pick everything till its perfect.

ie. hey that plastic panel is buzzing after we throw it [off] the roof. fix it! hey, when we jump on the seat, it squeeks, fix it!

etc etc

Have I cherry-picked these quotes? Of course I have. I don't claim to be objective, either. I'm not saying that Hyundai-Kia is the best or is even better than Mazda or any other auto company. I'm not saying, either, that it's moot to question their long-term reliability. My point is, Hyundai-Kia no longer sucks as much as they used to suck. ;) They're in the game now (when it comes to quality and reliability) and no one would have thought this just five years ago.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    couldn't agree more, that's why KIA is on my consideration list for my next purchase. If you had ask me six months ago, they wouldn't have been on "my radar", but as they say in their ads "The Power to Surprise" and I was, when I first saw the Rondo. Their upcoming model the Soul looks interesting too!
  • medicinemanmedicineman Posts: 135
    Yep, Kia wasn't on my radar, either. Initially, I had no idea what Kia's reputation was. I fully admit that I'm not a car enthusiast, so I was blissfully unaware of what people thought about Kia. I did know about Hyundai, however, because my oldest brother had a Stellar back in the '80s and he had his share of problems with it. Despite this, I didn't exclude Hyundai from consideration. Like I said, I'm no car enthusiast, so it seemed silly to exclude something that I didn't know much about.

When I informed a friend that my research included Kia and Hyundai, he told me that Hyundai owned Kia and since Hyundai is crap, Kia is also crap. My friend considers himself knowledgable about cars, but he's also a bit of a blowhard (like most car enthusiasts--oops, did I just say that? ;)). So I wasn't sure if I believed him or not. His opinion did mean something, however, since I didn't do any serious research on Hyundai or Kia until after I had done my research on pretty much every other auto company.

The rest is history. After doing some actual research and not just believing what the popular perception is, Kia did have "the power to surprise." All my research was telling me that the Rondo was the vehicle that I was looking for, but you know what? I wasn't too happy about it. Why? Because it's hard to feel any pride in ownership when apparently everyone else thinks that your vehicle is crap. To tell you the honest truth, this still affects me, even though I know I made the right decision for myself. So if you're a shallow person like me, this might be a factor in your own decision-making. :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "..but he's also a bit of a blowhard (like most car enthusiasts--oops, did I just say that?"

Well, I don't know about "most", but there are a couple of them on the Outlander threads for sure....especially one who also dispenses investment advice. :surprise: :confuse:
  • ykangykang Posts: 88
    You are so pathetic :mad:
    Why are you trying to ruin dnatoday's happy moment?
  • dnatodaydnatoday Posts: 8
    >>BTW, I also comparison-shopped the Rondo and Mazda5. I chose the Rondo. My choice of the Rondo in no way implies that I think the Mazda5 is an inferior product--it just means I had a greater preference for what the Rondo had to offer. I happen to like the Mazda5 and I probably would have chosen it if it could seat up to seven.

This was the deciding flip-of-the-coin for us. We took 5 kids to see Shrek hours after we bought the Rondo and having room for 3 booster seats + two pre-teens was worth it.

I've had so many compliments on the styling and looks of this car-- has anyone else noticed how much stying it borrows from the BMW X3? Even the two-tone interior.

I'm still getting used to driving an automatic, but I find the car is pretty stable and yet zoomy in the twisty back roads. We are planning a trip to Cape Cod this weekend to try out the highway miles. We are still on the dealer's tank of gas, so I am not sure how the mileage is going to turn out.

And thanks Medicneman for the nice words-- my parade isn't rained on. I expect a great experience from this car, though my husband is going to make me post a few wishlist items in the other thread. (mostly tinted windows and/or a car cover-- most cars this type/size have 'em).
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    I am enjoying your comments about Kia. I am one that breaks your hypothesis apart about "nobody would have guessed that Kia would be improving so much to this point only 5 years ago", though. I bought my first Kia in May of '99, a Sephia sedan.

The rest is history, though, I now own only one car, a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. But you might find it interesting that I would return to the new car Kia fold in the future, no doubt about it. I leave my two Kia's behind but not the happy memories of driving both of them. Kia builds solid and good cars and IMHO does a very fine job of body styling them, too.

So I saw their vast potential in the second half of 1999 and my Sephia not only looked better than a Toyota Corolla of that era but a Honda Civic as well. Those were the competitors Kia was chasing and IMHO they not only caught them but beat them both with that 1999 Sephia.

As for the Rondo or RAV4 or Outlander, etc., I would look at either the Outlander or the Rondo and no further than those two and you'll get an awesome vehicle.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

This discussion has been closed.