Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40 Engine Troubles

2»

Comments

• the timing belt on my S40 broke last week. I have 155,000 miles on my car. I put a new timing belt (full service, water pump, etc. at $1500) at 105,000 miles in 2007. the mechanic (one of those specialty shops) and the dealer have advised me that it is a $5000 replacement for a new engine. I love this car and hate to give it up, but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble. Any thoughts?
  • Our '05 S60 was parked in our garage. We can't turn the ignition key to start the engine. The key goes to the second position on the ignition. The steering wheel turns. We can't push the car out of the garage. Called a tow truck, but decided not to drag the car out of the garage for fear of doing damage to the transmission. Any advice?
  • tfb44tfb44 Posts: 1
    drdoom: Did you ever find out what problem was? This happened to my daughter and they want $10,500 for new engine.
  • foodungfoodung Posts: 1
    I own a 01 S40. It appears that I have oil leaking from around the oil pan area. My first instinct is to replace the oil pan gasket. When shopping online for 2001 Oil Pan Gaskets I got this http://www.europartsdirect.com/item-image.asp?imageUrl=http://12.153.160.115/web- app/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/8648358.jpg.

I'm a little confused, because it does not look like your typical oil pan gasket. I would hate to order the parts, tear into my car and find out its wrong. Anyone ever done this job?
  • volvomom1volvomom1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    My daughters volvo (S40 2004 1/2) timing belt broke a few days ago (she has 120,000 miles on her car). She was driving as usual and the car just stopped. Had to be towed to the garage that specializes in volvos.

The mechanic says that the damage to the engine was severe and it needs to be replaced. Is this a Volvo issue - Is it worth replacing the engine?
    Anyone have any info on this? Thanks,
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    at 120K miles I think it is owners problem that it broke.
    Was it ever replaced?

Worth it? Find the price for engine replacement and see for yourself. If it is as much as the car is worth (or more than 3/4 of the value) then probably it is not worth it. Just an opinion.

Krzys
  • i have a 2000 volvo s40, i bought it with 137000 miles on it, and well it has alot of problems, it needs new struts and all that, but the one main problem i am havin is it seems like wenever i start it up it turns over right away but it basically the RPM will go up and just go down to 0 and it stalls and everytime i start it up again it will stall, if i get stuck in traffic and its a stop-go-stop-go it will stall, this is gettin very annoyin and hard to deal wit has anyone had a simlar problem if so is there anythin i can do to fix this, I believe it has somethin to do with my IAC but i am not sure, the codes that come up were Po102-PO-103-PO144-and PO123 mostly signals are to low of the mass air flow, boost control vavle, and the IAC signal too low
  • bone10bone10 Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I have a 03 S40 Volvo, the belt pully went out and damaged the engine. The number on the timing belt cover is B4204T4. i found a motor out of a 2000 s 40 , with the cover number B4204T is this a different engine will it fit my car correctly.

What does the T 4 stand for is the engine model?

How can i check to make sure a engine will match.

Thanks
  • vs40vs40 Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I really need your help with information about a possible replacement that my mechanic/parts dealer is recommending. I have a S40 turbo with a toasted engine and I cannot find an exact replacement in my part of the world; however, my mechanic and I have found a used regular S40 engine which he recommends. He says he will replace the engine but retain the externals from the old engine like the airflow meter, injector parts, nozzles, etc. He also says he will "remove and deactivate" the turbo from the old toast S40 turbo and install it on the regular S40 so that it serves only the purpose of allowing engine exhaust only. Please does anyone have this type of experience? Can you share, or does anyone know about deactivating turbos? what are the issues to expect and are they serious? Is this possible at all? Thank you so very much for your help!
  • vs40vs40 Posts: 2
    Can anyone kindly advise on the possibility of replacing a S40 turbo with a regular S40 non-turbo engine. Is it workable and what are the possible issues? Thanks.
  • rb32rb32 Posts: 1
    The S40 does not have a conventional oil pan gasket. it uses a light sealant between the two mating surfaces( oil pan to intermediate section). The gaskets and seals you see in the pic is for the oil pick up tubes and various other internal components. You'll need the sealant and a pain roller. Apply a small amount of sealant to the roller and LIGHTLY apply it to the oil pan AFTER fully cleaning the surface where the sealant is applied to on BOTH surfaces. Torque the many bolt holding the pan to not more than manufacturer specs or you WILL strip the threads on the intermediate section.
  • My 2001 S40 just crossed 60,000 miles mark. I took it to the dealer for the scheduled maintenance. The dealer is suggesting to change the timing belt, claiming it should be changed at 10 years of 60,000 miles. I don't have a lot of trust in this dealer as they have suggested to change break pad a long time ago but it has been fine -- I don't drive a lot. How could I decide whether the timing belt should be changed?

Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Your owners manual is the best source for information. If you don't have one, you can find it online here:
    http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2001/2001_SV40/01sv40_00.htm

I believe it says every 105,000 miles. However, most drivers would have reached that mileage after the vehicle is 11 years old. It's made of synthetic material, like tires, and can start cracking with age. You may want to go to an independent mechanic and ask them to inspect the belt - any qualified mechanic should be able to do this for you.

It's definitely something you do NOT want to have break on you. It can do serious damage to the engine if it does.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• idle air control vale.
2»