Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic GX Fuel Mileage

larams00larams00 Posts: 3
Hi I was wondering if anyone else is getting way below the 230 or so miles per tank fill. I drive under normal conditions and at 3600psi tank fill I only get 285 miles tops.At 3000psi im only getting about 165 miles..My car has only 2000 miles on it so its still brand new..Can anyone shed a lilttle light on why im getting about 50 miles less than I should ?? Thanks for any help

Comments

• lakewood90712lakewood90712 Posts: 108
    Nothing is wrong with your car. Mileage may go up a little as it breaks in .
    CNG fill depends on a lot of things . A lot of stations do not have enough pressure to fill your tank completely. Most of the newer stations do not have a pressure gauge, instead they have a digital readout to hide the fact that the pressure is low. 100% means it has done all it can do at the time, but may be far lower than normal. We are not being cheated on quantity of fuel dispensed, but we all are being cheated when paying a high price for fuel, and not getting full compression service.
  • adeaadea Posts: 44
    Before I added my extra tank, I used to put between 170-190 before the low fuel light came on (now it is between 420-460) :D , and I ALWAYS could go 50 or more miles. Once I went 58 (not on purpose!) and was running on fumes as I entered the station. If you need to stretch it for any reason, reduce your speed to 42 mph if you can because that is the best speed for best mileage. So if you add 50 to your 185, then you are where you should be.
    adea
  • larams00larams00 Posts: 3
    so what you are telling me is that you went 58 miles after the low fuel light came on ?? Is that after or before you installed the extra tank ?? thanks
    That was with the one tank, and there was no closer place to go ( I used to drive all over Phoenix, Mesa, etc. with a job I once had). But it won't matter with the two tanks because they act as one, so the 50 extra will still be the same, even though I've never driven it 50 yet with the two tanks...last week it was 44, and by the fuel it took, I still had at least 6-10 miles left.
    adea
  • larams00larams00 Posts: 3
    how can that be the owners manual states that you get 20 to 25 miles after the low fuel light come on ???
    Yours is a 2006? Mine is an '00 and my manual says 50...lol...and my engine is only 1.6L...Right now I'm getting 39-41 mpg by driving conservatively and with my cruise. I didn't know the newer ones only got 20-25...wow!
  • lakewood90712lakewood90712 Posts: 108
    Because 20 - 25 miles is a "sure thing". I have gone 50+ miles after in my 01 countless times, but I have also been towed to the station a couple of times :blush:
  • bank1avpbank1avp Posts: 78
    For 1998 to 2005 once the fuel light comes on you have exactly 1 GGE left. Getting 40 mpg in an 05 or older is not uncommon. The fuel light will come on at 200 miles and it will go bone dry at 240. I know I've done it just to test it.

Murphy
  • Recent discussions with my Service Dept has led me to come to the conclusion that running the "Low Rolling Resistance" tires supplied on the Hybrid should yield 5-10 more miles per gallon. In addition they should reduce road noise. I was wondering if anyone had tried this tactic to up their mileage?
    Curtis
  • d_linkd_link Posts: 17
    We have owned a '98 GX since new in Dec. 1998. We now have 74,000 miles on it and never a problem, but none of the stations in our area offer anything higher than 3,000 psi (a new PG&E 24-hour pump was supposed to open in January 07, but is still sitting unused, waiting for regulatory approval). Installing an additional tank would give us the added range that would reduce the only negative that we have with our car.

How much did the additional tank cost?
    Where is it installed?
    Did you alter the original tank?
    How many gge are you now able to fill?

Thanks for your reply.
  • Curtis, 5-10 mpg???
    I dont think so, maybe 5-10% better mileage.
    For 5-10 mpg, everyone would be using those tires!
    J
  • epnfrnepnfrn Posts: 87
    i agree with J-B-J ... that would be a 12.5-25% increase in MPG. given that the GX is no sports car, i would imagine the tires it has are fairly similar, in a rolling resistance sense, to the hybrid. perhaps some gain, but to get 5-10mpg, you'd need tires 1/2 the width. i'd love it if you prove us wrong though :)

epi
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I've only known one person who put low rolling resistance tires on their hybrid. They do indeed improve your mileage, but the tradeoff is traction and cornering performance. They had them on two weeks and had them taken off because they didn't feel safe with them on.

Their definition of unsafe probably varies from mine, but I certainly believe there would be a tradeoff since rolling resistance basically IS traction.

As with everything (pun alert)... your mileage may vary! ;)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

d_link...I had the extra tank installed in the backseat in Mesa, AZ...they left the back part and just took out the seat bottom and then built a nice carpeted shelf over the extra tank. The original and the extra one are hosed together and act as one tank, so I now I have an actual 13 gallons (including the amount after the light goes on (always at least 50 miles)...12.5 gge is the most so far but it has never been empty...it cost $800 installed + $225 for the carpeted wooden cover...they will also put an extra 5 gge (4 actual) in your trunk for $750 installed. Just so you can get a comparison, there is another guy in Phoenix that puts an extra 2.8 gge in your trunk for $1400 + tax!
    adea
    adea
  • ses_209ses_209 Posts: 1
    What area do you live in for PG&E Gas that is limited to only 3000psi??
    actually, in northern CA, most PG&E are 3000. only two that i know of around here at 3600 are in SF. i spoke to their rep recently, and he said they intend to convert a few here and there to 3600 over the next few years.

epi
  • d_linkd_link Posts: 17
    Currently, the Sacramento Florin Perkins station, Davis station, Vacaville station, and Stockton station are all 3000 psi maximum. A new compressor and 24-hour station is supposed to be open in September at the Florin Perkins location.
    my wife tells me this morning 'i think you're going to be low on gas' ... i get in to find the fuel light on and just over 20mi to get to my nearest station. boo. well, on a 2006, the fuel light comes on at 2 bars left, and usually means 20-30mi ... so i'm comfortable. within 2mi of starting out, it drops to 1 bar, then another 9mi, 0 bars left! and i still have 9mi to go. well, i'm here to tell you, a 2006 GX will make it 9 miles with 0 bars left (perhaps a little farther) ... conditions - 60 degrees, averaging 65mph, holding breath entire way, very gentle on that accelerator!

definately my most nerve racking morning commute yet!
    epi
    65 MPH??...u like to live dangerously huh? LOL...next time, if you are really that nervous, drive around 42-45mph (or 55 if on the freeway) if you can, and you will stretch your reserves.
    Garry
    yes i knew someone would mention this ... unfortunately, i thought it would be more dangerous to drive 55mph on a Bay Area highway! the options were stop and go in the normal lanes, or keep up with the flow in the carpool lane (aka 65). i agree with you otherwise. if i really wanted to live dangerously, i would have turned the AC on!
    epi
    ps. my wife is taking me out to dinner tonight to reconcile for my near heart attack!