Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• 2002 Mercury Sable: since it's 30,000 mile dealer service the car has needed two new fuel injectors in 2,000 miles. The car came back form it's service leaking transmission fluid because the dealer over-filled the transmission fluid. Then it started miss-firing and running ruff. Now after 2000 miles a second fuel injector has gone bad. I would appreciate any insights, especially if there is any way the service could have contributed to the expensive fuel injector problems. The car is past the 36 month warranty, but only has 30,000 miles. Help! John
  • Did you discover the cause of the low oil pressure? I have the same car with the same problem. It is in the dealer with the engine completely disassembled. They cannot find the case and Ford ESP warranty with not do anything until a cause if found.
  • Well--It was the DPFE sensor. Had it replaced. I am beyond the warranty. But you were right on the money with solving my problem. Thanks, so much.
  • Did you figure out the automatic on/off headlight feature. My 2000 Taurus is doing basically the same. Strangely enough, the parking lights come on when set to automatic but not the headlights. Any clues?
  • Does anyone know where the turn signal relay is located on a 96 LX? I'd like to replace it as sometimes it clicks quickly and the lights don't flash. Other times it works fine. All the bulbs are good. Thanks.
  • Sure your fuel system isn't
    gummed up with something?
  • My attempt to replace the
    thermostat on a 2000 (56k
    mi) Sable wagon was thwarted
    because I couldn't find it
    on the engine. Never worked
    on a Ford before so bear with me.

What kind of coolant is recommended for this engine,
    original conventional coolant or extended life?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "My attempt to replace the thermostat on a 2000 (56k mi) Sable wagon was thwarted because I couldn't find it on the engine."

Which engine, 3.0L, 3.0L DOHC, or 3.4L?

"What kind of coolant is recommended for this engine, original conventional coolant or extended life?"

50/50 mixture of conventional ethylene glycol and water.
  • Thank you, alcan. It's the 3.0
    32 valve DOHC.
    http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d801af4c0.gif

1. Drain the coolant until the level of the coolant is below the level of the thermostat.
    2. Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
    3. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water inlet connection.
    4. Unfasten the two water inlet connection retaining bolts and remove the water inlet connection.
    5. Remove the O-ring seal and thermostat from the water inlet connection. Inspect the O-ring for damage and replace as necessary.

To install:

6. Clean the water inlet connection mating surfaces.
    7. Install the O-ring, thermostat and the water inlet connection.
    8. Install the water inlet connection assembly retainers and tighten them to 71-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
    9. Connect the lower radiator hose to the water inlet connection.
    10. Fill the engine with coolant, start the engine and check for leaks.
    11. Stop the engine and top off the coolant recovery reservoir as necessary.
  • Thanks. So that explains the
    missing thermostat housing.
    It's facing upside down.
  • Parking Brake is off, using C-Clamp to compress for new pads not working--- whats the trick?
  • you may have to turn
    the caliper piston to compress it.
    The rear calipers have integral parking brake actuators. Rotate the pistons clockwise to thread them back down the jackscrews. Make sure the boots don't stick to the pistons or they'll tear. A shot of WD40 helps, if needed. Align the notches in the pistons with the tabs on the inboard pads.

This works ok for occasional use:
    http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=82&rn=503&action=show_detail

This is the one I use:
    http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=82&rn=926&action=show_detail
  • Can anyone offer tips on how to replace the cigarette lighter in a 1999 Ford Taurus?
    Is there a way to remove the complete ash try assembly?
  • Thanks jschunke & alcan, pressure + turning caliper compressed it just fine. Did not have access to special tools managed to use a 12" bar clamp and channel locks to start and at the end a pair of needle nose pliers with the tips engaged in the two notches on the caliper surface worked. Had to be very careful not to damage the boot or caliper edge.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
  • I have been having emissions trouble with my 96 Taurus. I took it into a shop less than a year ago and had it checked. The recommendation was to replace the catalytic converters. In the process they also replaced one of the 4 O2 sensors. Since then the MIL has come back on with the same errors. I have replaced two of the three remaining O2 sensors on the exhaust system. Still I am getting the same errors (low efficiency of catalytic converter, etc.) In my research there are three items that can be affecting the sensors. The air intake temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor. The last item is the fuel vapor purging system in the rear of the car. Has anyone had success or experience with poor emissions and improving the results with replacing any of these sensors?

Thanks
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    98 taurus v6. This car will start with no problem for a week at a time, and then just decide it doesn't want to play nice. It belongs to my daughter's girlfriend, a college student.I've been over to the house a few times to help get it started and when I turn the key, It starts right up, no problems. If you shut it down, thats when you wont get her to fire up again. Plenty of battery,thats not the problem.She had it towed to the shop where they replaced the starter, and 2 weeks later the same problem.Iknow the starter wasn't bad in the first place, but hey, I'm not a mechanic by trade.Just had it towed to the shop again, and two days later they send it home with no problems found.Again, she will start this car a hundred times in a day,for a week with no problems,go out today to start it and nothing. Just alot of cranking power butno start. Could the ECM be going? maybe a fuel pump? 60 some thousand on her. I'll leave it up to the master mechanics on this forum to help me. Thanks for any help. :)
    Does it crank over and not start, or not crank over at all?