Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• bodenebodene Posts: 1
    wife noticed a noise checked it out front wheel seems like it is about to come off. any ideas? also anybody have a link to see a view of that assembly. would it be easy to fix? thank you all
  • rmillardrmillard Posts: 1
    rbean:

I am also having this exact problem with my 98 Sable. Have you been able to find the cause of this yet? Thanks,

Rich
  • I posted this in wrong section i believe earlier....
    Hi iam new to site and looking for advice. About 3 weeks ago my wife took car to walmart for oil change.02' Ford Tauras..24 valve doh cam 54,000 miles. They double gasketed the filter(left old one on). Wife drove around town and car lost 5 of the 6 quarts of oil. Wal Mart knows they did this as they left message on machine saying we needed to contact them as soon as possible..oil trail out of their bay. Now I have low compression in a cylinder. They have set me up with rental car and and authorized dealer to find root of problem to see if the cause is due to the loss of oil. My question is, if the car ran perfect before the oil change fubar, and now I have a bad cylinder, can they deny their mess up dint cause the problem. Also, what else could be ready to explode inside the motor if all they do is fix this problem. Thanks for advice.
    P.S. They are admitting they are at fault of double gasket, I have receipt documenting it with manager signature.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    You are entitled to a NEW engine, not a remanufactured or a rebuilt engine. I would accept nothing less! They damaged your vehicle let them correct the problem. While you are waiting for a determination of this issue, I would also seek advice from your family attorney. Prior planning will prevent poor performance on your part with regards to dealing with Wal-Mart. You can be sure, that they have turned this issue over to their legal department. ---- Best regards. ---Dwayne
  • Greetings all. I'm assuming that this is the 12-step Taurus support group??? LOL...had to get that in...

Seriously. I have a 1998 Taurus with with non-operating windows. This is a problem that manifested itself gradually. It started with one or two windows not functioning. It was intermittent. It gradually got worse. Eventually, I started hearing this rattling noise like a relay going bad, then the windows quite alltogether.

I changed the window fuse under the dash, but I am told there is an all-powerful window regulator that controls all the windows - oh and I'm told it's behind the glove compartment.

Can I get to this? Is it something I can get from Auto Zone and change myself?

Also - Is this linked somehow to the courtesy lights? I noticed that the courtesy lights would not go off right before this problem started.

• It gets pretty hot here in Texas. Even with a windshield screen, the dashboard above the instrument panel has debonded and is warped about and inch above the plastic panel surround. Is this something I can fix with a good dose of RTV? and a decent weight? Or...should I use some type of heavy-duty double-sided tape?

• How can I get a copy of the extended warranty notice?

My 2000 Taurus' DPFE sensor failed before 80K miles, and I would prefer not to pay the $197.40 the dealership wants to replace it.

Also, other parts have failed and I am wondering if there is any way to find out whether there are extended warranties covering them as well.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I doubt that you really have to have the notice in order to get it repaired under warranty. I kept my notice in a file in case I need repair in the future. Let your dealer know you know of the extended warranty, then if that does not help, call Ford's 800 number for these type of issues, and I am sure they will be able to help you.

If your car is under the extended warranty, it should cost you nothing for the repair. Note, I do not know if the warranty applied to all 2000 Tauri with both engines, but it definitely did to mine, which is a 2000 SES with 3.0 Duratech, and the car was built toward the end of the 2000 model year.

I don't know of any other extended warranties except the front suspension springs. However there were several recalls that your car may have not been brought in for, such as the wiper motor and brake light switch replacement that I can remember I had replaced under recalls several years ago. With the VIN number, your dealer should be able to tell you whether your car had these recalls done.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Thanks Again Alcan.
    First this must be S, not N by filter kit. 17 bolt pan, not 19.
    Still confusion over the duty cycle thing, but not as to what a duty cycle is. In the area of no slippage requirement which would seem to make both checks fail or pass as written. I do wonder though if the wording should have read "TCC solenoid" for duty cycle.
    Has the system progressed to the point that the apply rate of TCC is being controlled by PWM of the solenoid? It used to be fully on or off and TCC apply rate was controlled by a pressure and spring modulator valve circuit.
    Wife took car to shop, they said new tranny, but think they were guessing and don't know what reader they used.
    Change fluid using Lubeguard's flush. Much darker than I expected with 35K since last time. Probably a normal amount of material on magnet. Flushed via cooler line using 16 1/2 quarts. Test drove seemed OK. Wife driving and so far no code. Will redrive when time allows. Much confusion about why fluid was low, per wife, where excess may have gone to when she added. Just like a woman to confuse beyond any diagnostic measure that might point to the idiot behind the wheel.
    Thanks again.
    Dash light is likely dual purpose. Check owners manual,learn to read.
    Second purpose could indicate problem in main brakes. Malfunctioning master cylinder, low fluid. Check fluid level immediately. Do not move until done and topped off! If low, likely you've got a leak. In either case, unless you fix, slowly go with caution to service station, if braking seems OK!!!
    Could also be bulb check circuit, bad wiring, but don't bet someone's life on it.
    I would think not a problem if exact same tranny but that is what can be complicated in checking. Even though it might be a AX4 N or S, there are internal changes sometimes depending upon the exact vehicle, engine, it is used for. I don't know if there are any external indications, maybe the tag bolted on it. These transmissions varying by year, even build date go through quite a few changes. Have been used in Windstars and Lincolns (FWD).
    Not enough info. Where is it loose at?
  • taurus55taurus55 Posts: 1
    My in-laws have a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the 3.0, and apparently the crankshaft position sensor is bad in it. It runs, just a little hesitant and sluggish at startup, and revs high until warmed up.

If the sensor isn't replaced, will it kill the engine? Can it run the way it is for now?

Thanks
    Every 2000 Taurus has a 3.0, but there are two 3.0 V-6's, the Duratech 24V DOHC and the pushrod Vulcan, not that this makes a difference in my answer.

How do you know there is a bad crankshaft position sensor? Could be a number of things. THe DPFE sensor is an extended warranty item, at least on Duratech versions as the 2000 Taurus with Duratech is what I have.

All engines will be a little sluggish at startup until warmed up. Additionally all Tauri engines will rev at higher rpm-about 1000-1200 until warmed up to speed the warmup cycle and improve driveability when the engine is cold.

I would get a diagnosis done before just swapping parts. There may be nothing wrong at all, unless it behaves different than in the past.
    The DPFE controls the EGR if I remember correctly. I think that emission related parts are affected by federal law for like 5 year/ 50K.
    Dealer probably just as soon deny connection. Talked to a Ford manager the other day. They are in money saving mode as some recent TSB's say to do nothing unless the customer complaint is specifically related. And how many customers find out about the TSB?
  • I was told by dealer that is is covered up to 75K. I bought part for $27 from them and did it myself. Took 10 mins, although it is a tight squeeze to get behind the top of plastic plenum.
  • Hey Guys,
    I ran my OBD II scan today and it came up with erorr code
    155 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
    Does anyone know what this means?
    Thanks, Dave
  • Go to www.carreview.com. I was on there the other night and found that they have over 300 reviews on the Taurus. I always thought that Fords were dependable because my parents had 2 or 3 Crown Victorias that lasted well over 150,000 miles without any problems, but now Im learning better. I have a 2003 Taurus that has 51000 miles on it. The emergency brake went on and continues to be on when I do not use it. Go to carreview.com and read all the reviews on the car. Average rating is 3.1 out of 5 and many people report the car as being cheaply made and that the transmission is a major problem. Look carefully at the years of the cars when you read them though. GOOD LUCK!!!! :sick:
    This is a 97 wagon Vulcan.
    Does anyone know if this tranny should achieve TCC lock when it is in D range instead of OD?
    What I meant by extended warranty on the DPFE sensor was that Ford sent a letter out to all affected owners that the DPFE sensor warranty was being extended to 80K miles due to too many failing prematurely. I do not know whether it was covered originally to 50K with emmissions parts.