Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Last week, my wife and I purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium for our daughter who recently graduated from university. It has the 3.0L Duratec 24V V6, and the AX4N transaxle. The car was purchased from a private party, and has 36K on the clock.

Apparently, power steering pump problems are quite typical for the vehicle. The PS pump makes quite a bit of noise when the steering is on center, but more so when turning from lock to lock. From my experience, it sounds like an aeration and cavitation problem, rather than an actual PS pump failure. I know the Ford shop manual specifically goes through the purging/bleeding procedure thoroughly for this system.

I took it to a good independent shop, and they stated that there's also a screen in the external PS fluid reservoir that can become clogged which can exacerbate the problem. Moreover, the specified PS fluid is Ford-spec MERCON ATF, and I will be willing to bet the previous owner used standard PS fluid to top the system off in past years from the looks of the fluid in the external reservoir.

The shop's first step is to flush the existing fluid, clean the screen in the reservoir, and then refill with ATF, and bleed the system. And, then go from there . . .

Any thoughts on this from anyone more experienced with this on the Sable and Taurus with the non-integrated PS pump/reservoir system would be greatly appreciated.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    My 2000 Sable wagon had the same problem you describe. After replacing the steering fluid pump and bleeding the system, the next step would've been replacing the rack and pinion. The noise became was loud only while turning the steering wheel.

I never found out the precise fix for the problem because after a collision the car was unfortunately declared a total loss.
  • blkwingblkwing Posts: 1
    does anyone out there know what type of transmission is in a standard ford taurus gl year 1995 3.0 litre please help pending finding right transmission for afriend
  • geoff813geoff813 Posts: 2
    There are 2 versions used 94-95. The AX4N and AX4S. The ID tag and a parts yard with a Hollanders manual can get you the correct one. A 93 AX4S will also work but you have to change wiring at the plug. Just one of Ford's better ideas to confuse, confound and overcharge.
  • bobby19bobby19 Posts: 2
    Hi, my 1993 taurus started making that clicking sound when turning, I assumed it was the cv joint, so I took it to a shop and he 'said' he replaced both axles, the car still makes that noise so I take it back to him and he says that noise is the ball joint and its not really a big problem. Anyone out there know if this sounds reasonable?
  • My 2000 Taurus has 125000 Miles. I have a 2000 Sable With 78000 Miles. They both have 24vDOHC Duratec Motor' s. They have 6 individual ignition coil's per cylinder. I had to replace one of them on my Taurus they are $100.00.The sable i put a coolant tank in it to shut my low coolant light off. And struts and ball joint' s. But that's the only problems i've had with the two cars. So if you get a sable or taurus Make sure it has a 24V DOHC Motor in it!!! :shades:
  • I can't find anything for my 2000 Sable. It has a 24v DOHC.
  • Do you still have the Alternator that came off the car before the problem? The pulley on the new alternator might be to small .
  • Hi, I have a 98 taurus with 122,900 miles that I'm going to get the trans fluid changed in. Now my question...Should I get all the fluid changed with a flush where they don't drop the pan and change the filter or should I just have them drop the pan and change the filter and just the fluid that comes out with the pan off? The last and only time the trans fluid (out of the pan) and filter was changed was at about 60,000 miles. Trans seems to down shifting alot when I let off the gas in slower traffic lately (30-40 mph). Thanks for your thoughts.
  • danford1danford1 Posts: 10
    Here is what I did. I pulled the pan and changed the filter. I also let the trans drip overnight to get as much fluid out of it as possible (about 7 qts). I then put a drain plug on the trans pan. I reinstalled the pan and put in 7 qts Mercon V. I drove around to warm up trans, pulled the drain plug, added 7 qts, drove around, drained it, added 7 qts etc. I ran 28 qts through it. To me, this makes sure ALL the fluid got changed plus it has a new filter.
    Now, every 18,000 or 20,000 miles I can drain off 7 qts and add 7 to refresh the fluid. At 50,000 miles, I'll run 28 qts through it again.
    Most people will tell you they only get about 6 qts out of the trans. That is true. BUT, if you read enough info on the Taurus trannies you will find where they say to add 1 qt over the full mark on the dip stick. Don't do this with a rear wheel drive car ! It is OK on the Taurus though :-)>

Danford1
  • julieaujulieau Posts: 1
    I have no great help for your problem, but I'm hoping you can give me a little bit.
    My 98 Taurus has a very noisy alternator. We need to replace it. The problem is that we've owned Chrysler products for years and hubby can't decide where to begin to get to the alternator. Is there a simple way? Does he go from the top or from underneath? He's changed lots of alternators, but this one has him worried he'll go the wrong way and make more work for himself than needed.
    Any advice on where to start would be appreciated!
    Julie
  • timothyftimothyf Posts: 40
    I have a 1996 LX. Can anyone tell me how to reset the Service Engine Soon light?
  • Hi, When my service engine soon light came on in my 98 Taurus I unhooked the battery for about 5 mins then reconnected it. I had to reset the clock and radio stations. This only cleared the memory. If the reason it came on happens again it will just come back on. Hope this helps.
  • recently we bought a 2002 ford taurus. unfortunately we don't have the owners manual yet. our gas tank indicator light came on and we arent sure how to make it go off. we have opened the gas cap and put it back on several times. the lite is still on. this did not happen until it started to rain the other day. im not sure if that had anything to do with it. if someone could tell us how to make this light go off i would greatly appreciate it. my check engine light just came on also. is it possible to just disconnect the battery to reset it??

thank you
    Marsha
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    I had a bad gas cap on my 2003 Mercury Sable and had the problems that you describe. If you read the owners manual after the (working) gas cap is replaced your car has to go through a seemingly bizarre sequence of events before the check engine light will go off. As I recall you have to go through a "cold-engine" startup also you must idle for so many cycles at so many minutes and have to be at freeway speed for so many cycles and so many minutes.

If your gas cap is OK then just leave it alone and the lights will eventually go out. It may take a few days but they will go out.

The dealer wanted $100 to "diagnose" the problems. I skipped that and bought a new gas cap at the auto parts store for $16. Since then I haven't had any problems.

And yes you can reset the light by disconnecting the battery. However if there is a real problem with your car the "fault" code will be lost. If you have either a bad gas cap or any other problem then the light will come back on after a battery disconnect.
  • bobby19bobby19 Posts: 2
    My radiator hose busted on my 93 taurus.......I was told that I probably had a blown head gasket also....I havent had it checked out yet, anyone out there have any idea what I'll be looking at cost wise??? (wondering if it will be worth it)
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Posts: 116
    My mom's 93 is doing the same thing. That was the same diagnosis. She hasn't replace the gasket yet, but will post the cost when I find out.
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    A head gasket replacement is a pretty major repair. Without really knowing the costs for that car I would ballpark it at $800-1000.

What makes you think that the head gasket is bad ? Is the car overheating ?? Your problem may be as simple as replacing the thermostat which is pretty easy job.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Posts: 116
    Yes it has been overheating. But, the burned coolant smell is in the exhaust and the radiator is constantly having to be filled. A car person has looked at it and has guessed that is a good possibility. It could also be a cracked block because it did have a major overheating last summer in SC.
  • ohio7ohio7 Posts: 67
    I've been reading folks talk about a gas cap light. I have a 2000 SEL Taurus and have no idea what this is. Is it on your newer models? I have a "check engine light" that, I've read in the past, could mean that the gas cap is not on tight. Are all of you refering to this light?

Also, if one reads the manual first, questions could be answered. It is true that after the gas cap is tightened, that it could take a number of cycles for it to readjust and go off.