Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Maybe it is just the battery. They commonly have to be replaced every few years. You can call Sears and any auto parts store for battery prices. Maybe your son drained the battery playing with the stereo and it just needs to be recharged.
    If it is just the battery, it is not a big deal, but it could be something worse. A battery recharge is cheap.

It would have been a good idea to have been firmer about the price since it had 85,000 miles and you did not have have it thoroughly checked out at a mechanic's service center and you knew it had some problems you could see and hear yourself already (suspension noises, keypad etc.).
    For $5700, it should have been a cream puff with zero problems.
  • whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    I hear what you're saying. Thought I had checked enough on it. It started fine the 3 times we drove it....The keypad does light up after all, so maybe it's just the wrong code. Can't look around due to the rain. I'll take the battery tomorrow--it's pouring here, has been for hours and hours.A new battery might not be a bad idea anyway since we don't know how old it was. A set of jumper cables is surely going in the trunk!

I appreciate that you are frank with me, just keep giving me guidance. I hope that this works out. I just couldn't keep shopping anymore, my kid loved the car and I was wasting so much time, effort and gas. I figured it was worth the extra just to be done. I hope the old man didn't $^*^$ us! (I might even call him!)
  • fbm111fbm111 Posts: 2
    Is there a way to program the door locks so that when you put the car in PARK the locks will automatically unlock all the doors?

Thanks guys!
  • fbm111fbm111 Posts: 2
    This is a 2005 Taurus SE
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    Well I have had a few older cars with the exact problem that you ran into. That is that the car won't start after sitting for a day or two.

The battery may be old and can't hold a charge anymore. If however the battery is not the original equipment (ie. it's an after market battery) then it has already been swapped out and I would suspect that you have another problem.

The only way to be certain is to check the voltage of the (fully charged battery) with a multi-meter. If the battery is any good then it should read just under 12 volts.

If you have a problem with the charging system, then that can be checked with the multi-meter also. When the car is running the voltage (accross the battery terminals) should now read between 12 to 14 volts. If it's lower than that then you probably have a bad alternator.

Sometimes, like when you give someone a jump start and have some sparking, the (electrical) diodes in the alternator get damaged. In that case the battery can slow-short accross the diodes causing the dead battery symptoms you describe. The cure for that is usually a new alternator.

The other potential problem is that you have a slow short somewhere in the car that drains the battery. Those are a real pain to find. You just might need some professional help to solve that problem.

... Used cars, they can save you alot of money. Buy they can be a real pain also.

Keep us posted as to what the problem turned out to be.
    Got the new battery. Put it in the same way as the old one. Apparently the old one was not the same kind (I think it might have been for a different kind of car). He had the posts toward the front, so that is how I put in the new one. PUt on the red, then the back. ZAP! Quickly pulled it off. Reversed it when I noticed I had F'ed up and connected the wrong cables (becaues the battery was reversed).

Car starts, a/c runs, lights work. RADIO is out. My son will kill me (It's the 6 CD one) because that is his favorite thing. My husband will kill me because I HAD to get THIS car, and then the reason the radio is out is MY fault. (which it actually is).

Can there be an easy fix?

OH YES, the battery light is on on the dash board. That can't be good. I have a friend who is handy. How handy does he have to be? I mean,he is capable, but how much time and effort will I be imposing on him for? Can the radio work again...Maybe a fuse somewhere. PLEASE :cry: :cry: :cry:
    reposted...Sometimes, like when you give someone a jump start and have some sparking, the (electrical) diodes in the alternator get damaged. In that case the battery can slow-short accross the diodes causing the dead battery symptoms you describe. The cure for that is usually a new alternator.

You may have damaged your alternator.

You need to check whether or not the car is charging. If the voltage of the car when it is running is 12 volts or less then the car is not charging. If it is not charging then you could be stranded somewhere. Note that a car can run on the battery-only for a few days. But eventually the battery will lose it's charge and the car will not run.

The battery light being on (when the engine is running) is an indication that the car is not charging.

The other possibility is that the alternator was bad ever since you bought it. In that case, putting in a new battery will not change things.
    I'm thinking it was fine, and that I "broke" the alternator. Is this a difficult repair for a backyard mechanic. My friend should have all the tools, if I get the part. Is a lift needed? I'd heard alternators are on the top.

Is there a fuse somewhere that could be my radio problem (could the spark have blown a fuse?)
    I believe that your engine may be different than the one in my car. However for my car (and that engine configuration) the alternator is right on top. It's just a few bolts and a wire or two to get the alternator off. So to answer your question... No you shouldn't need a lift to swap out the alternator. Tell your mechanic friend to check if the car is charging before you decide if you need a new alternator or not. Make sure that you disconnect the battery before working on the alternator.

For the radio, check the fuse panel underneath the dash on the drivers side. I believe that it's below the steering wheel. They put them in the most inconvienent spot that they possibly can !
  • gyatesgyates Posts: 55
    The code in the owners manual was probably on a card, about the size of a credit card. This is the programming code. You punch this number in, and then you set what 5 digit code you want to use to open the doors. The owners manual should have some instructions in it about doing this. My Explorer was the same way when I bought it "new" "used".
    Went to Pep Boys, they charge if it's in the car to check it. Went to Advance and they don't do it, but sent me to Autozone. Autozone brought out a machine and hooked it to the battery and had us run the car and rev it and idle it. He says it is charging fine, so it's not the alternator. The batt light is still on on the dash. One suggestion was that I disconnect the batt and maybe the computer will reset itself after I wait a while to reconnect. Hope that takes care of the dash light. Alt. fuse was fine too.

Cannot figure out which is the radio fuse. Had 2 other people also check the owner's guide and cannot locate it. I understand there may be several of them. ANy tips on the radio??
    Went to Pep Boys, they charge if it's in the car to check it. Went to Advance and they don't do it, but sent me to Autozone. Autozone brought out a machine and hooked it to the battery and had us run the car and rev it and idle it. He says it is charging fine, so it's not the alternator. The batt light is still on on the dash. One suggestion was that I disconnect the batt and maybe the computer will reset itself after I wait a while to reconnect. Hope that takes care of the dash light. Alt. fuse was fine too.

Cannot figure out which is the radio fuse. Had 2 other people also check the owner's guide and cannot locate it. I understand there may be several of them. ANy tips on the radio??

Well that is fortunate that you won't have a relatively expensive (alternator) repair starting out.

My owners manual doesn't list the radio on a fuse by itself. The radio may share a fuse with another function. So you'll just have to pull the fuses one by one and look for a blown fuse. For what it's worth I don't believe that the stock radios have a security code (which some cars do) that must be set. The radio on my car doesn't have one.

Keep us posted about future developments with the car.
  • tnmajortnmajor Posts: 14
    I did the same thing recently. Large maxi fuse on the outside left of the fuse box. It sits kind of outside the box itself. I had a friend that had pieced together a car from two others and he had the fuse on hand. Replaced it and one other for the radio and was back in action.
    I did the same thing recently. Large maxi fuse on the outside left of the fuse box. It sits kind of outside the box itself. I had a friend that had pieced together a car from two others and he had the fuse on hand. Replaced it and one other for the radio and was back in action.
    Radio fuse is one of the small ones about in the middle of the fuse block.
    Do you mean the inside fuse box or the outside one (for the maxi fuse)?

I finally found one bad one in the box in the engine, but can't get any of the inside ones loose. Going to buy the one fuse and cross my fingers!!!
    For the fuses inside the passenger compartment you may need to use a pair of pliers to pluck out the fuse.

If I were to guess, the radio related fuses are only inside the passenger compartment. The ones in the engine compartment are related to engine operation.
    A guy on another board (ford-forums.com) directed me to some fuses. It was #17 in the engine compartment fuse box. RADIO IS BACK :)

Battery light is still on, but an alternator (if that is problem) is an easy fix compared to a radio in the SEL (cd changer and electronic climate).

I feel so much better. Thanks for all advice on radio! :)