Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• I have a 1999 Taurus. The car started making a grinding noise immediately after the engine was started and the key released. 'Took it to dealer under warranty, starter was replaced, and problem ended. 12,000 miles later problem has started again. It only happens when the car is cold (hasn't been run for several hours).

Anyone heard of this before?
  • q45manq45man Posts: 416
    http://www.blueovalnews.com/

use the search function to zero in on the model and its alleged problems. This site has been sued by Ford more than any other! Some how they get hold of internal docs and reports. FYI:

"Well past the average of 4.51, the #8 position went to the Atlanta Assembly Plant, which makes the Taurus, Sable and all SHO models. It's interesting that the two Taurus/Sable assembly plants have such a high difference in paint quality - especially considering the assembly processes are the same. The Atlanta assembled Taurus/Sables experience 3.2 times the paint quality problems than do Chicago assembled models"

"On 30 August 1999, Ford issued a statement saying that it planned to ask U.S. District Judge Nancy G. Edmunds to ban the site (BlueOvalNews.com) permanently at hearing in Detroit's Federal Court. BlueOvalNews attorney Mark Pickrell successfully argues that Ford's proposal would be Unconstitutional. On 07 September 1999, Judge Edmunds ruled against Ford. "
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Anyone using synthetic transmission fluid in their Taurus? I'm looking for recommendations. I'm considering Royal Purple or Amsoil.
  • brucer2brucer2 Posts: 157
    It depends on the year of your Taurus. For the last couple of years, Ford has been using Mercon V ATF in most of their transmissions. It is an "upgraded" Mercon IV/Dexron fluid. If your transmission calls for Mercon V, make sure the fluid is indicated as meeting Mercon V specifications.
  • Just had the brake light switch replaced on my 2000 Taurus for the second time (thankfully still under warranty). They wiped away the excess grease from the adjustablel pedals but it keeps leaking into the switch. Kind of freaky when you have to drive around with your brake lights always on until you get to the Ford dealer. Other than this, it's a pretty good car with no problems so far.
    I've been experiencing weird brake noise (chatter) while braking in a turn. I don't think it's warped rotors. It only does this when I'm turning. Any ideas?

Oh, I have an 01 SES with ABS.
  • I have a 99 Taurus SE with about 45K miles. I've been noticing a strange whirring noise lately. The noise is speed sensitive, and unrelated to RPM or gear. The noise occurs between 33 and 38 MPH, 43 and 48 MPH, and up around 65 MPH. I've tested it in different gears, and the noise always occurs within the given speed ranges, regardless of how high/low the engine is revving. There's also a slight vibration along with the noise, but it's really slight. All fluids check out OK.

What could it be?
  • vince4vince4 Posts: 1,272
    mralan,

The car is under warranty, let the dealer look at it. Of course odds are they will say they can't hear it. Mine would anyway.

dmarabella,

First thing that comes to mind is something tire or wheel related. Maybe a bad tire, less likely a wheel bearing etc. How about some loose trim flapping in the wind? If your tires are worn out anyway then maybe give that a shot. I'd put it on a jack and rotate each wheel by hand. You can't get the same speed but maybe it's there quietly at slower speeds. Other than that think about what turns at vehicle speed, not engine speed. Really the only thing left is the transaxle after the transmission. Check the CV joint boots on the both front axles, make sure they aren't cracked or leaking grease.
    Hi, vince4

I wasn't sure if the brake problem would be covered under warranty. They may claim it's a wearable part. I guess your right though, I can have them look at it.
  • My wife and I purchased a 1999 Taurus SE from a Ford dealership in May 2000. The vehicle had 17,000 miles on it at the time and we did not purchase an extended warrantry. The odometer presently reads 46,000.

Until very recently, we have been extremely pleased with the car in all respects, with the exception of gas milage (but I guess that comes with the changeover from 4 cyl to 6 cyl. and we do appreciate the improved acceleration). However, this past week, and for the first time, my wfe (principal operator) noticed a whinning sound and discovered the power steering fluid to be low. Adding fluid did not resolve the problem and a Ford dealership advised us that the power steering rack required replacement. Cost: $750.00!

I am 61 years of age and have owned numerous vehicles and have never experienced any problem with a power steering rack in any automobile. The '99 Taurus has been well maintained. The dealership indicated it might be able to help us out somewhat, and I was wondering if anyone was aware of any service bulletin(s) covering this specific problem. Admitedly, the car is out of the 36,000 or 36 month warrantry, but one does not expect to encounter major repair problems at 46,000 miles. I would also be interested in hearing from other late model Taurus' owners who have experienced this problem.

Thanks,

B. Cutcliffe
  • ehennessehenness Posts: 92
    B. Cutliffe--

Can you get a second opinion? I only ask because Ford power steering pumps are notorious for being noisy. Have been for years. The one in my '83 LTD was also noisy (sounded just like the one in my '98 Taurus). It's kind of a whine/groan, and it gets a bit louder when you turn the wheel. You tend to hear it only at idle or at low speeds.

Do you have any other symptoms (like hard steering, binding steering, big leaks on the ground, etc)? If the only things you see are noise and low fluid, it may be normal. Note that you can get a fluid drop if the reservoir is overfilled--it will leak out when it gets hot, and eventually the level will drop. If you only see a smear of fluid around the neck of the filler, that may be what happened. Do you see any signs of a large leak either under the hood or on the ground?

I'd see if there are any other signs that the rack is bad (leaks at other than the pump itself, crunching noises, hard steering, pulls that don't come from the road surface or tires, etc.) and maybe get a second opinion. The only time I've ever heard of a bad rack is on cars that are several years old and/or very high mileage. Add to that the fact that the Taurus pump (at least the one on the Vulcan engine--non-Duratech) is typically noisy, and you may not have a problem at all.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • terryt4terryt4 Posts: 1
    I use my Taurus for my job. I have 80,000 miles on it and in that time I have had 3 fuel pumps put on it. Has anyone had/heard of this beening a reoccuring problem?
  • ehennessehenness Posts: 92
    Haven't heard it's a problem with the Taurus/Sable. Do you always run the tank almost all the way to empty? That can cause overheating of the fuel pump (the gas in the tank keeps the pump cool), and constant overheating can cause failure. Not saying that that is definitely the cause, but if you run it down to fumes every time before you fill the tank, it's a possibility.
  • willis3willis3 Posts: 76
    I posted about 2 months ago about my coolant turning brown. Well, just checking under the hood again and guess what.... the coolant is brown again. To top that off, "Check Engine Soon" light came on while driving, seems like an ignition problem.

I think it's time to part with this car...... Your thoughts...
  • usaf52usaf52 Posts: 70
    Reading Edmund's maintenance guide on their home page, I searched 2002 Taurus/Sable. Oil change recommendation is every 3000 miles Plus inspection of ball joints is also recommended at 3K. Sounds strange. Any problems with ball joints?
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    on any car, not just the Taurus.
  • willis3willis3 Posts: 76
    Further to my posting in #456, ignition coil is not firing for Cylinder #2. This is a $200 repair + labor, something which I would not expect to fail.

The car only has 63k miles, anyone else have this part go on them?
  • usaf52usaf52 Posts: 70
    Taurus/Sable was the only vehicle I researched that had "inspect ball joints every 3K' as part of their maintenance schedule. I realize various parts must be "inspected", but Ford was the only one to make it part of every 3K, thereby making it necessary to RETURN TO THE DEALER.
  • vince4vince4 Posts: 1,272
    80,000 miles already! Mine has 18,000.

There was a recall on 2000s for fuel pumps. Mine was replaced just before I picked up the car (former fleet car). I assume you know this since you've seen the dealer a time or two.