Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Your posting sounds interesting. My 96 Sable has the same "intermittent" problem. But mine is like yours, at *cold* starts, not *hot* starts like WBacon. Still, we might all have the same problem because I know that the my car's ignition key probably never turns the same way, it is very loosey-goosey and I wonder if there might be loose wires inside that are turning off the fuel pump...I'll talk to my mechanic about it tomorrow...
  • wgreenwgreen Posts: 17
    Can anyone recommend a good company or website where you can buy complete service bulletins? Edmund's site is great in that they list a summary of the problem and the bulletin number but they don't have the recommended action or the complete text of the bulletin.
    Saw one site that sells them but they had 57 listed for my 01 Taurus but Edmunds lists 109 for my model.Don't mind paying the money to whoever I go with but I'd like to be able to access all the bulletins not just some of them.
  • I recently bought a 1998 ford Taurus SE. It has been very well maintained and looks like new inside and out.
    After driving for a week the air conditioner just stopped after blowing very cold. The compressor is not coming on at all. The next day the Cruise control stop working on a short trip out of town.
    I replace one fuse that was blown but it didn't help(cruise control).
    all major fuses and relays seem ok.
    Can any one help me? I'm a little old lady who is tired of being ripped off by local mechanics. :blush:
  • This problem used to be common years ago.
    When the starter wore out the heat from the engine causes it to expand and short out. After enough time to cool down it would act normal.
    So take the car to autozone when its hot and have the starter checked.
    Also some cars have a heat shield for the starter to avoid this problem.
    I dont know if a taurus has one.
  • I have a problem with my 2001 Taurus SES. My remote suddenly stopped working, i replaced the battery in it and it still wont work. What can I try next?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Do you have another remote that works? If it does, then likely your one remote is broken, and you might have to buy a replacement.

There is a procedure in your manual for programming the car to recognize additional or replacement remotes, but I believe you have to have one working remote in order to add another one.

I suppose your car could have somehow lost its "memory" of your remote and you could try to go through the procedure for reprogramming it, but again, if I recall properly, you have to have at least one existing operable remote to begin the process.
  • pavipavi Posts: 4
    Does the rear brakes on the Taurus have slider pins? The mounting pins, on the caliper mounting bracket, on my car seem frozen, like they don't move.

The reason I'm asking is, my car failed inspection due to the fact that the back brakes were not working as well as the front. I replaced the caliper but that didn't help.

For some reason, the back brakes are not working well. The drivers side is working somewhat, but the right side is not working much at all.
  • We have a 96 Sable w/75K miles with (at least) two prevailing problems:
    1) The A/C seems to run in all settings except "vent", which causes chilly air to be blown, even at high heat. The In and Out lines to the heater core are both hot. I can see the device driving the mixer is operating, but have not opened it up to see if the flap is actually moving. What can I do to not have the AC running all the time. Oh yeah. The MPG sucks when AC runs.
    2) there's a mysterious "Groan" sound, seemingly from the back end. It usually happens only when turning, when the car is hot. Sometimes not at all. Once, after a long road trip, it started moaning loudly and continuously while going ~50MPH, but would silence if applying light pressure on the brake.
    After car cooled, noise was gone. There's no shimmy or shake, but you can sortof feel it vibrate. Repair shop was mystified, as am I. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 94 taurus wagon that has morning sickness. It will take a few min to drop into
    drive then all is fine. Last week I had a loss of power but the shift problem went away.
    I have changed the air filter and am looking for the fuel filter. Have not found the fuel filter yet. Has anyone seen these kind of problems?

Tnx

Rodney
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Common problem is rear flex hoses collapsing internally, restricting brake fluid fow to the calipers.
    Would frozen slider pins have anything to do with this?
  • my heater will not come on it blows air but it is cold air

any suggestions

punchy1
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    My 2003 Sable has been very reliable but it has one very annoying issue:

When the car is cold and I back the car out of the driveway (maybe 20 feet) after I turn the car off it will burp out a small amount (maybe a couple of spoonfuls) of transmission fluid out of the vent. Since my driveway is concrete, the transmission fluid makes a messy sight.

The car doesn't do this when it is not cold. I have checked the transmission fluid level (when thoroughly warmed up, with the engine running parked, on level ground) and the transmission is not overfilled.

Any suggestions as to what is going on ? And how I may fix this issue ?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Were they seized?
    how would brakes act with frozen sliders in the rear?
  • devwdevw Posts: 4
    i love to hear what you come up with on this topic my friends 97 just did the same today, in the past it would take a jump or wait to get it started and it had already recieved the new battery treatment. from looking around the web the ignition switch seems to be a bad problem, though i had a grand am before and the crank sensor cracked on it and it caused intermittent ignition failure.
  • wgreenwgreen Posts: 17
    Ended up buying a one month subscription at Motorcraft.com,it also includes service manuals,wiring diagrams etc.Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else needs this info.
  • I have the same problem. Your heating core is clogged with dirt (bad antifreeze/coolant). Flush the antifreeze, diconnect a hose where you could flush the entire antifreeze. Use pressure air to flush the clogged stuff out. Then rinse ii with pressure water let it run for a while. If it gets clear and the water circiulates, then add antifreeze/coolant. Make sure during this procedure the car is turned off and cool. Hopefully this way you will be able to get the clogged stuff out of the heating core. The heat must start blowing, otherwise you need to replace the heating core which will cost you about $450-$750 depending on mechanic. It take about 8 to 10 hours of labor. :sick:

Good Luck
    My rear brake slider pins are frozen on my 96 wagon. How do I get them out? Do they screw in?
    if you are talking about what i think you are talking about its the hex headed bolts with just a little thread and a long shaft for caliper adjustment, my friends 97 has rear discs, same? anyways they should unscrew maybe with some wd40 if you apply heat you will melt the little rubber boots but if they are seized they are probably worn out anyways. im going off memory for this car, havent seen the brakes in a couple years. hope it help.
  • crt1crt1 Posts: 2
    Hello I have a 1992 Ford Taurus
    Lost steering in my right front wheel, the right front wheel will no longer turn with my left wheel.
    When I turn the steering wheel left or right my left tire is the only one that will move,
    my right side tire will not move at all. every thing looks to be connected.
    I can jack-up the right side and move the tire feely by hand...it seems that were the tie-rod is connect to the steering gear, this may be were it has separated.
    Luckily my daughter was at a stop sigh when this happen, it's funny thou she said she never heard anything.
    Please advice on what you think might have happen matter.
    Thank you for your time.

:sick:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,520
    Yeah sounds like a busted tie rod if the left wheel will move and the right one won't. She's pretty lucky. I've had one break while on the freeway and it isn't pretty.

• I have a 96 ford taurus gl and have intermittant heat.
    I've had the thermostate changed, the heater core, water pump,pellium box, i pissed i still have intermittant heat. Even had the rad flushed and checked for air bubbles.
    Does anyone else have any ideas. The mechanic suggested taking off the over flow hose that goes to the engine.
    Someone please help i'm frustrated in canada. :sick:
  • I had a groaning noise in my car and the end result ended up being because they replaced the rotors and not the brake pads. We changed the pads and its fine. But who knows maybe it isn't the same noise
  • i have the same problem with my 96 taurus but i've had the heater core, water pump, thermostate, plenum box changed and the rad flushed. still i have no heat. so i need suggestions too. :lemon:
  • lsclaylsclay Posts: 1
    keep replacing fuel injectors and fuel pump in 1997 ford taurus. something is causing them to go out.voltage good. help please
  • I recently bought an old Taurus to use in rural mail delivery. When I put it in gear and push on the gas it clunks once. I have noticed if I take my foot off the brake and idle off about one second the clunk does not occur. When I had the tires replaced the tire place said I had loose motor mounts. I can use it for its purpose but want to know where to look when whatever is clunking finally wears out.
  • crt1crt1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.... yeah were glad she wasn't moving. Do you know if the complete gear assist will have to be replaced..ever thing on the will hub still looks in good shape. the manual doesn't show any thing about how it is attached to the steering gear.

Thanks for any an all help guys

Rick
    :)
  • jflaugjflaug Posts: 1
    2002 Taurus SE, 64k miles. Every now and again, I smell a hint of coolant through the vents. Under the hood, there are no leaks from any of the hoses or radiator, but the reservoir is full and almost boiling. No change in performance either cold or hot, and the thermostat has always read in the normal mid-range. Any ideas?
    my guess, heater core