Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    $6600 retail for a 2002 SES with 30K miles sounds bogus. Was it wrecked?
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Posts: 198
    No. Totally straight. The couple was moving back to Australia. They paid $11k for it last December. Sold it to me in June for $6600. The company that was moving them back home gave them $15k for incidentals. Everyone won!
  • oxx93oxx93 Posts: 67
    I have a 2001 SES and this light just came on. has anyone else seen this before? Is it something that needs attention ASAP? The car drives fine and the manual did not give me the impression that this is a severe problem. I am hoping to hold out for another couple hundred miles and have it checked when I need to get an oil change.
  • The only thing that the light tells you (and us) is that there is something wrong with your car. You have to be specific regarding CEL (check engine light): stop by AutoZone and have them check the code. No one can tell me what is wrong with my TV if it does not turn on.

I was more specific when provided a code generated by computer of '00 Taurus several posts ago - P0411. Unfortunately no one responded even after I provided a specific code. I guess only because no one is familiar with that code.

I am not sure, but it is my understanding that most codes generated by Taurus' CPU will not point to the exact component that causes the problem while I had CEL code checked on my Mazda Millenia and was pointed exactly to Knock Sensor. May be I am wrong, but in my situation the only way to get an answer is to pay $85.00 diagnostics fee at dealership.
  • Check my profile and e-mail me. I'll tell you where/how to check your code.
  • oxx93oxx93 Posts: 67
    I tried to open your profile but I couldn't. Can you open mine and e/mail me?
  • Just bought a 2003 SES Vulcan with about 19,900 on it. Now at 21,200 or so. It has been great, except for a tendency to pulse sometimes when stopped at a light, in traffic etc. I mean that I'll be stopped in Drive with my foot on the brake and it will start to surge and halfway die, surge and halfway die, etc. Don't know if it is transmission or the torque convertor or idle (too idol?). If it were just an electronic device, I'd put a surge protector on it and be done with it! ;-) As it is, I guess I'll have a preventative trip to the service department (it's still under warranty and all) earlier than I'd planned on doing an oil change. Ah well, no one and nothing is generally prifact!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    You proved nothing is "perfect" with your mispelling of the word! :)

Yes, go get it fixed under warranty. If it is consistent and repeatable, they should be able to track it down. One good thing about having a vehicle and engine that has been around a long time, the mechanics usually can find and fix it quickly as they have a lot of experience with the quirks.
  • I definitely had my tongue in cheek with "prifact." But are you teasing me by misspelling "misspelling"?!? ;-)

And, after a fresh tank of gas, it is not doing it so badly. So, maybe that small-town gas station wasn't such a good idea...? :-(
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Believe it or not, I misspelled "misspelled" unintentionally. I guess I proved your point as well!

Could be you got a bad batch of gas. If it happens again, you may want to get it checked out before the warranty expires.

I don't know if it applies to your car, but a while back I got an extended warranty notification on my 2000 Taurus Duratec for the DPFE sensor, which apparently has a tendency to fail earlier than Ford intended. Some of the symptoms, I was told by Ford, were stalling and hesitation. Might apply to yours?
  • Thank you for the tip. I'll keep an eye/ear on it through this tank of gas and the next. One more shudder/surge and I'll definitely head for the service department early. In any case, I will be sure to mention it when I go in for my first oil change.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    When do you know if it is a problem that needs repair or just some dust on the disc that will go away on it's own?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Right after you lift the car, remove the wheels, and inspect the brakes.
  • Have a 2002 Sable. The Factory door code was on a sticker located on the passenger side of the fuse block, had to fold it down to view, but the correct 5 digit number was visible without removing the fuse panel from the firewall. looks like during assembly they are supposed to attach the sticker and 'fold it down so it can be seen, but neglected to do so. Thanks for the original post ... I was looking everywhere!
  • I've got 97 Taurus GL with 88k mi. It's been running pretty much trouble free with regular maintance. My extended warranty paid for itself for some minor stuff (rusted oil pan, dead window motor and dead heater core). I live in the sunny midwest and park outside during the day. Over the years the instrument panel cover is coming off slowly. Now, there is a visible 0.5" gap all over the place. I try to tuck it in, but after a couple of days the gap appears again.
    Do you have any suggestions? Do you think a double-side tape will work? Or should I use some kind of super-glue to seal it?
    Thanks
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    DO you mean the molded dash pad surrounding the instrument panel? If that's what you're talking about, I used some permatex high-heat engine gasket sealant between the housing and pad, then taped it down and let it cure over night. That was two years ago and it hasn't pulled up since.
  • I have a 97 Taurus GL wagon. I went for a trip this weekend and discovered some trouble in the electrical system affecting the power windows, Intermittent wipers ,and power steering. It all works great for the first 15-20 minutes of operation each day. After the initial 15 - 20 minutes the windows will not work, the wipers only work on the on and fast setting no delay settings work. The power steering becomes quite heavy. When I change the gear selector to neutral or park all the problems dissapear. I can hear what sounds like a relay under the dash clicking off and on and the seatbelt indicator light in the instrument panel flashes, when the problem occurs.

I think it must all be tied together some where and am wondering if anybody else has expiernced this problem.

Any help would be great
  • I have a 97 Taurus GL wagon. I went for a trip this weekend and discovered some trouble in the electrical system affecting the power windows, Intermittent wipers ,and power steering. It all works great for the first 15-20 minutes of operation each day. After the initial 15 - 20 minutes the windows will not work, the wipers only work on the on and fast setting no delay settings work. The power steering becomes quite heavy. When I change the gear selector to neutral or park all the problems dissapear. I can hear what sounds like a relay under the dash clicking off and on and the seatbelt indicator light in the instrument panel flashes, when the problem occurs.

I think it must all be tied together some where and am wondering if anybody else has expiernced this problem.

Any help would be great
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Could be a lever postion sensor. They get corroded and fail. I think Ford called it an "MLP" around that time.
  • I inherited a front end bashed 93 SHO that my brother's insurance company totaled ( due to obsolete OEM parts ). Through the SHO community,
    the front end has been replaced, power windows & moon roof now operate, power antenna functions and I even " cleaned " that pesky stop lamp switch that kept this car locked in park, blocking 2 other vehicles in my driveway. Now I have shifting problems, basically 3000 rpm revs before #1, drive or reverse engages from a dead stop. Fluid is clean and up to level. 2nd works fine, and I can shift into D or #1 once the vehicle is @ 5 mph. From my Chiltons diagnosis I am hoping this is either the Throttle valve control linkage or the transaxle control lever adjustments, but the manual describes the procedure BUT NOT their location. I thought I did find the TV linkage and adjusted it with no result, but with all the "spaghetti" under the hood, I'm second guessing myself. Help