Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Thanks. So that explains the
    missing thermostat housing.
    It's facing upside down.
  • Parking Brake is off, using C-Clamp to compress for new pads not working--- whats the trick?
  • you may have to turn
    the caliper piston to compress it.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The rear calipers have integral parking brake actuators. Rotate the pistons clockwise to thread them back down the jackscrews. Make sure the boots don't stick to the pistons or they'll tear. A shot of WD40 helps, if needed. Align the notches in the pistons with the tabs on the inboard pads.

This works ok for occasional use:
    http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=82&rn=503&action=show_detail

This is the one I use:
    http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=82&rn=926&action=show_detail
  • Can anyone offer tips on how to replace the cigarette lighter in a 1999 Ford Taurus?
    Is there a way to remove the complete ash try assembly?
  • Thanks jschunke & alcan, pressure + turning caliper compressed it just fine. Did not have access to special tools managed to use a 12" bar clamp and channel locks to start and at the end a pair of needle nose pliers with the tips engaged in the two notches on the caliper surface worked. Had to be very careful not to damage the boot or caliper edge.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
  • I have been having emissions trouble with my 96 Taurus. I took it into a shop less than a year ago and had it checked. The recommendation was to replace the catalytic converters. In the process they also replaced one of the 4 O2 sensors. Since then the MIL has come back on with the same errors. I have replaced two of the three remaining O2 sensors on the exhaust system. Still I am getting the same errors (low efficiency of catalytic converter, etc.) In my research there are three items that can be affecting the sensors. The air intake temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor. The last item is the fuel vapor purging system in the rear of the car. Has anyone had success or experience with poor emissions and improving the results with replacing any of these sensors?

Thanks
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    98 taurus v6. This car will start with no problem for a week at a time, and then just decide it doesn't want to play nice. It belongs to my daughter's girlfriend, a college student.I've been over to the house a few times to help get it started and when I turn the key, It starts right up, no problems. If you shut it down, thats when you wont get her to fire up again. Plenty of battery,thats not the problem.She had it towed to the shop where they replaced the starter, and 2 weeks later the same problem.Iknow the starter wasn't bad in the first place, but hey, I'm not a mechanic by trade.Just had it towed to the shop again, and two days later they send it home with no problems found.Again, she will start this car a hundred times in a day,for a week with no problems,go out today to start it and nothing. Just alot of cranking power butno start. Could the ECM be going? maybe a fuel pump? 60 some thousand on her. I'll leave it up to the master mechanics on this forum to help me. Thanks for any help. :)
    Does it crank over and not start, or not crank over at all?
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    Thanks for the quick reply alcan, The car will just crank. No problem with the battery. Plenty of cranking power, just won't start. If it does decide to start, once you shut it down, it wont start again until it sits for a few hours. :(
  • jdiaz2jdiaz2 Posts: 16
    My 2000 Duratec wagon just did the same thing. Its been parked a lot this year while we lived out of the country, and when we arrived home last week the engine cranked fine without starting. I couldn't hear a buzzing noise when I turned the ignition on, and the shop confirmed it by replacing the fuel pump after we had the car towed in.

74K miles and its the first real money we've had to spend on this car. I change the fuel filter every 15K miles, so I know the pump wasn't being overworked due to plugging or anything. Seems like an odd failure to me, considering I have a motorcycle with nearly 200K miles that has its original fuel pump.
  • My mother in law has a 1999 Ford Taurus SE. Whenever we use the turn signal switch, the windshield wipers will cycle a time or two shortly after making the turn. This is very distracting and annoying and could be hazardous. Not to mention hard on the wipers and windshield without the lubrication from washer fluid or rain water. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what fixed it? Thanks.
    It's usually a defective multi-function switch.
  • I am beginning to think that also. Is the multifunction switch very difficult to replace? Also, is it very expensive?
  • I just replaced rear brakes (calipers, rotors and pads) on my '98 Taurus. We bled the brakes starting with the RR and ending at the LF. When you're driving around 20mph, the car stops fine, but if you drive fast and have to slam on the brakes, it takes about 15ft for the car to stop. Do you have to bleed the brakes differently compared to the old circa 1970 cars?
  • I was driving my '98 taurus for about 20 minutes and didnt realise I forgot to take the parking break off until I got home. When I got out I could smell brakes burning and thats when I realised. At some points I was going 90 km/h. Is this something I should be worried about? Is the parking brake seperate from my normal brakes? Will this affect my normal driving braking.
    Thanks, Dave
  • JWagsJWags Posts: 1
    When we close the doors on our 98 Taurus, the warning light for an open door and the overhead light stay on, sometimes for extended periods. Can't seem to isolate it to any one particular door. It is an intermittant problem, but is a pain when it happens at night and the overhead light won't go off. Any ideas or quick fixes? Thanks for any help!
    The door switches are built into the latches, and as the grease on them ages it hardens and holds the switches open. Usually the left front. Try spraying a liberal abount of WD40 or equivalent into the latches to free the switches up. Sometimes takes a day or so to work.
  • I own an 88 Taurus LX , 3.8L. The doors lock but don't unlock from the driver's or passenger bottoms. The driver's door locks and unlock from the keyless key pad.

It seems to be a fault relay but I can't find where control module is located.

Any help will be welcome.
  • i just wondering if anyone knew approximately (just a ballpark) at how much it would cost to repair about a 2x2 inch chip of paint on my rear bumper - no dent or scratch just a chip of paint???? any information would be greatly appreciated
  • I just got the same Message with my 98 Mercury Sable. Have you had your Tausus fixed yet? What did you do?
  • vppcvppc Posts: 58
    Hi, everyone!

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SES w/95,400 miles with the Vulcan engine. My check engine light come on and I had Advanced Auto Parts read the code - PO442 which means "EVAP Emissions Control System Leak (Small)".

Seven weeks earlier the light came on, only it was a large leak code and I disconnected the battery to turn the check engine light off.

What could it be? I've already tried the gas cap. The cars runs just the same, which is great!

THANKS!
    - Alex
    The most common cause of this DTC is the cam sensor wiped out. The sensor housing bushings wear, allowing the shaft to wobble and hit the sensor. Easy to check, just remove the 2 screws holding the sensor onto it's housing and look for damage on the underside.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d801af831.gif

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d801af832.gif
  • I ran across an article indicating that perhaps the coolant sensor is not responding correctly. Has anyone replaced this sensor with success in correcting their emissions problems?

Thanks
  • ohio7ohio7 Posts: 67
    I, too, have a 2000 SEL and in August the check engine light came on. Drove immediately to my mechanic and he ran the codes and told me to get it done free at my dealer (very honest man). Went to dealer and, with exactly 30,000 on the odometer, got the sensor done free.

The letter I got (went to my file and retrieved it) said that it extended the warrenty two more years. I was about a month past the date on the extension but whined and complained loudly about Ford's reputation going South and "good will" of the dealer for wanting me to buy another Ford from them (my 2nd purchase from them). The advisor went to the service manager and agreed to give it to me. Grovelling sometimes works.

I still love the car even with all of the recalls on top of recalls. It is a nuisance to keep dropping it off and not having a car but I guess those things happen. I bookmark a lot of all of your comments just in case I have issues with that problem. I am the original owner and only put 5000+ miles on a year. Drive only 6 miles a day and very little on weekends.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,564
    Sometimes you can find people who come to your location and air brush out small defects in bumpers or blend in paint chips....auto dealers use these guys all the time...a complete repaint of the bumper to the point where you'd be proud to look at it, would be $300 easy.

• I had the same problem on my '96 and replaced the internal switch.
    Looks like a pc. of junk and it was stuck/broken.

Does anyone know where the window washer sprayer motor/pump is located?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Recalls on top of recalls? I only have had three recalls on my 2000 SES Duratech:

Wiper Motor
    Brake light switch
    Protection covers on front springs (front springs and DPFE Sensor are under Ford issued extended warranty)

Other warranty repairs I have had are:

Wiper notor (yes, the recall replacement one failed under warranty)

Coolant overflow tank/sensor assembly replaced.

All these warranty/recalls were minor and fixed quickly and efficiently. Perfect? No, but close enough so I am happy.

No other warranty or nonwarranty failure issues to date.

Routine oil changes, one transmission flush, new tires last fall, new front brakes last fall, two alignments, a couple of flat repairs, one new battery a couple years ago. That is about it to date. A very good car and solid as it was new.