Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• vicalavicala Posts: 12
    Sometimes when I start from a stop light, I hear and feel a bang under
    the area of the front seats. The car is a 1993 Sable 3.8 L.
    Any ideas others than taking it to a mechanic?
    I have checked underneath and can't see any obvious problem.

Thanks,
    Alan
  • jug78jug78 Posts: 3
    i have a 98 taurus and my bright light indicator light on my instrument panel does not work. the bulb is good. the only other thing i can guess would be the dimmer switch must have a flaw.. can anyone help me??
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Rear mounts for the subframe.
    Thanks alcan. I see that there was a recall on this in some States.
    Alan
  • mpgpetempgpete Posts: 1
    :confuse: Is 14 MPG normal to for a 2001 Tauras with 38,000 miles? For the most part, it is suburban type of driving. Currently there are no errors from the diagnostic port. Is it possible to have an issue with the transmission?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    That sounds way too low, unless you have a teenager that is driving like a maniac when you aren't monitoring the car, or your suburban driving has a very large amount of stop and start conditions.

I have neve gotten less than about 19 mpg, and more usually it is in the 22-24 range with my normal suburban commute that is relatively uncongested most of the time.
    The mech replaced the motor mounts.
    Alan
  • Williamstox, how did you make out ? Did you have to get your tranny fix or replaced ?
  • I have a Taurus & I'm getting the same error p1744. I've been driving the car with this TDC for at least 6 months now.
  • I recently purchased an outstanding 94 Sable. Everything is great working order but I have noticed a problem in that the car does not slow when the accelorater is released. The RPMs will slowly drop and the car will gradually slow. On several occasions when I put the car in gear it would speed up as if it had fast idle. The idle is 900 when in neutral and drops off when rev'ed and released. The problem only appears to be when in gear.
  • monireemoniree Posts: 6
    I've tried lucas, 3 bottles (transmission additive), done a trans. fluid change, and unhooked the battery...Nothing is working :(
    I'm really not sure what to do about it. Have you found anything yet?

(Recap...o/d light on, hard shift...)
  • I had the same problem. Transaxle light kept coming on for our 2000 Taurus Wagon SE (Duratec) during HWY driving at speeds excess of 60 during the summer months. Couldn't get light to stay on for diagnoses. Then at 110,000 total failure. Cost 2200 to 2600. My advice. Get light to come on and drive to dealer/service immediately for diagnosis. Also, don't drive long distances with light on.
  • kavingkaving Posts: 1
    I had the same problem it was a transmission sensor, I can't remember which one but it cost around 16.00, I suspect you had a used transmission installed as I did. This sensor had been recalled on the original transmission.
  • 2000Tari, 62Kmiles, Vulcan, starting to ping [uses only 87 octane major brands fuel] and mpg reduced by approximately one third. Seeking to elimanate the ping and reclaim the lost mpg. Dlrs suggest $450/500 oxygen sensors work. I am of the old school which says change the plugs and wires. What say you?
    Thanks in advance for your expressed concern.">
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I have a 2005 Taurus and I have a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car when going over certain dips in the road however it only happens on certain roads i've had the car checked by 2 different dealerships and still theres nothing they can find, they checked my suspension and test drove the car both times they say everything is normal and they cant duplicate anything? Has anyone experienced this before?
  • I have a '99 Taurus with 96K on it. For the last 25K or so it will NOT turn over on the first attempt...regardless of season or outside temperature...I live in WI. It will, however, turn over every time on the second go 'round with a light tap of the gas pedal...any thoughts where to start??

The only thing I have done is a fuel filter replacement about a year ago...didn't do anything!
  • Could someone tell me if it is necessary to disconnect
    the battery when replacing the lock cylinder?

Thanks,
    Alan
    Door or ignition?
  • Thanks for the reply alcan. It is the ignition. The manual refers me to the air bag safety section, which says to disconnect the positive and negative terminal. I can't see how changing the ignition lock cylinder would accidently set off the airbag.
    Alan
    Usually a good idea to disconnect battery negative when doing any electrical related repairs. Ignition lock replacement requires the key to be turned to the On position before the cylinder can be removed, after which it can't be turned off until the new cylinder is installed.