Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

weird new 07 forester

2»

Comments

• I have heard everything from needing to check out the "Lemon Law" (which requires 2-3 problems of the SAME type & not resolved in Virginia) to perhaps my car was built LATE on a Friday. :sick:

Looking back, I sadly sold my 2004 WRX (that had ZERO problems!) for a new 2007 Forester 2.5 X, to save on insurance and gas prices. Sure wish I could jump back into a WRX, but it's not in the cards right now.

So, here's the breakdown and I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with their 2007 Forester? One of my friends has an identical one and hasn't had any.

2007 Forester 2.5 X (non-turbo) Premium Package, Automatic
    I've been driving it for 1 year, 1 month.
    It has 27,000 miles on it (trips, 50 mile round trip work commute, weekend driving).

1) At 15,000 miles the sunroof stress fractured. = Subaru replaced under warranty.

2) Since day one, the low gas light comes on at 1/2 a gallon left in the tank instead of the 2.5 gallons the manual states. During an experiment I ran out of gas. = Yesterday Subaru replaced the fuel sensor/leveler under warranty.

3) Four weeks ago when starting my engine it would run very rough and even while at idle on the road after it warmed up. The Check Engine light came on and the code read: "Camshaft Circuit Sensor Malfunction". = Subaru said some wires were loose and tightened them, under warranty.

4) Last week the same engine roughness started occurring and two days ago the Check Engine light came on. = THIS TIME Subaru comes back and says I need new Catalytic Converters!!! They'll be replaced under warranty... but at 27,000 miles?!?! What gives? They have no clue what's causing the problem.

I swear, Subaru is rebuilding my car like it should have come from the factory. My concern is at this rate I'll be out of warranty in 2-3 months. Then what? Expenses out the rear?

The only "modification" I have is a basic K&N air filter, replacing the stock filter. Friends have had it in their cars for years, without any issues.

Thoughts? Much appreciated!

(I think I'm going to look at getting another vehicle. It'll definitely be a Subaru... maybe even another Forester.)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I had a Forester for 9 years and it saw the dealer twice.

The day I bought it.

One other time for a recall.

That's it. I sold it to a private party, and did all the maintenance myself.

You're just not lucky.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'd say it's a sensor issue. Unfortunately it could be any of a number of them. I'd switch out the K&N just cause it could raise questions at the dealer for a warranty repair.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    MIght not be a "lemon" by VA's definition but certainly sounds like its jinxed :(

I'm on my 2nd Forester with over 130k combined miles and the only dealer trips have been for a couple bad oxygen sensors replaced under warranty back in 2000. Oh yeah, I had a loose airbag sensor under the driver's seat a while back too.

I need new Catalytic Converters

What? You been burning grain alcohol or something?!?! :P

My concern is at this rate I'll be out of warranty in 2-3 months

Well at least you'll still have the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty :)

-Frank
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I've replaced two catalytic converters on my 2001 Forester over its life, currently at 167K miles. The first was replaced under warranty by Subaru around the 60K mile mark. The second was replaced this past summer. The rest of the exhaust system is still original, though I'm sure I just jinxed myself. I've owned the car since new, and have maintained it meticulously, and no, never any grain alcohol (not to my knowledge, anyway!).

Len
2»
This discussion has been closed.