Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Real World MPG

Comments

• Yeah, the gas mileage is ridiculous. I knew it wouldn't be great, but it's worse than advertised. I get 20 highway if I'm lucky.
  • I have about 2.2k miles on my 2008 AWD GT. In San Francisco, I get anywhere from 11-13 mpg city driving. On the freeway I have been getting anywhere from 15 to 17 driving about 65-70 mph. Great car; fun to drive but gas milage is really bad! A friend of mine drives a Yukon V8 gets similar gas milage! The dealer who sold me the car thinks this is odd too. The car will be closely examined when I bring it in for my 3k mile service which will be very soon. I'll post the results when I get them.
  • reading this forum, i am glad I didn't opt for a CUV, my Armada gets as good
    of mileage in the city. Takes a lot of V6 pedal to move a big CUV, less foot
    with the big V8!
  • On my trip today from the Springfield MA area to Allentown, PA and back, I averaged 22.5 MPG. Of course, that is almost all highway, but it also included numerous traffic jams on the way down and back - some due to the normal stuff and some due to yesterday's storm. When it was clear in front of me, I was going about 70 ~ 75 MPH.
    22.5...That's what I was averaging in my Subaru - a car that weighs at least 1/3 less, was 4-cyl (albeit a Turbo) and took Premium gas. I can now go well over 400 miles on a tank of Regular gas with highway driving. And since I typically see my worst gas mileage in the winter months, I expect the mileage to improve after the first couple of oil changes (I may switch to full synthetic) and when the warmer weather arrives. No complaints about the gas mileage here.
  • imamgimamg Posts: 136
    Is your's awd? I'm curious how it performs (if so) thru the snow ...
  • jb03jb03 Posts: 31
    New CX-9 GT FWD owner. First fill up was about 16.5 gallons with about 360 miles according to the wife. This works out to about 21.8 mpg right of the lot. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised after reading some of the low mileage here. This first tank was based on about 70/30 Hwy/City driving. The next tank will be more City driving so I'll post the results soon.

Regards,
    JB
  • I am not counting the complimentary tank from the dealership since I don't know if it was topped off. 90% of my driving will always be in the city with most trips around 10 minutes or less. I got 16.4 mpg and I was pleasantly surprised after reading a few threads. This weekend I have a rare 2 hour trip each way, and I will update the forum.

I bought the 07 because I could not tell a difference in performance after test driving both and I got a much better deal. Have there been better mpg reports on the 07 as opposed to 08 models, or are they identical?
  • Yes, mine is AWD.
    Even though we've had 2 snow storms, I really don't have enough personal experience driving IN the snow with this vehicle to comment. I assume the AWD will help to get me through the snow, but I also suspect the size and weight will pose a bit of a problem when it comes time to 'stopping' in the white stuff.....we'll see.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    My current car (Audi) is AWD. I found that it's the tires that make the difference in the snow, not so much the AWD. The AWD will help in accelerating and going up steep hills in wintery conditions (simply because all 4 wheels are moving), but a good set of tires makes all the difference.

Not sure how good the CX-9 tires are. Haven't driven one in the snow yet.
    What tires do you run on your audi? size/make etc...
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Keep in mind my tires are Ultra High Performance tires (all season), since this is for a car, not SUV. They are Nitto Neo Gen, 225 40/18. Low profile, but the grip on snow is better than the Pirellis P-Zero Nero M/S I was running before. I'm not sure if the difference is in the tread pattern or the chemical composition of the tire, but I can move and turn through the snow and slightly icy roads better than I could with the Pirellis (even when the Pirellis were new).

I find that the Pirellis were better for dry weather, i.e. cornering, etc--they felt sportier and somewhat more responsive. Maybe the Pirelli sidewalls were stiffer...who knows. But the Nittos are more confident in the rain and in the snow, so it's a good compromise.
  • First tank 16.4 100% city. 2nd tank was 18.5 50/50 city/highway. 3rd tank was 20.8 with 100% highway. Now I am back to my normal routine of 90-100% city, and I got 16.2 with lots of stop and go and short trips less than 10 minutes. These tanks were completely filled for accurate measurement. While filling up, I can nurse about another 1.2 gallons after the gas pump stops. The MPG is about what I expected so I am happy. This is a large practical car, and I know it is much better than a Suburban or other SUVs that offer a 3rd row.
  • I purchased my '08 CX-9 Touring AWD in November and have filled it 5 times since. I have only crossed the 16 MPG threshold once (16.7), and that was after significant highway driving; all four other tanks were in the 13.3 to 14.1 range, on mostly city driving. I am hoping this is due to the fact that we have had some ice and snow that required more than normal use of AWD, but that has accounted for maybe only 15-20% of drive time over the last two months. Otherwise, I have carried little weight in car. Not good!
  • msuvetmsuvet Posts: 54
    I have about 1500 miles on my AWD GT, have had it since the beginning of November.

I've averaged around 16.5 on my fill-ups. I drive a mix of highway & city, and usually drive 76-78 mph on the freeway.
  • bbcx9bbcx9 Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and just got my CX-9 Sport AWD three weeks ago. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase - it's a superb car. The downside, like most have indicated, is that real world mpg could be better. My first fill gave 16.5 with about 70/30 city/highway. My second fill only gave 13.3 with 100% city driving. No heavy load and conservative driving all the time. Hope it gets better! Overall, the positives are far outweighing the poor gas mileage, so I'm not complaining too much, but thought I'd add to the real world data posted here. Happy motoring. :)
  • kj123kj123 Posts: 11
    Just filled up for the first time, CX9 touring (not AWD). Averaged 18mpg with 75% City driving. My Tahoe averaged 14mpg under the same scenario, so I'm at least moving in the right direction.
  • I have had my CX-9 Grand AWD since 10/31/07. Currently I have been averaging about 18.4 mpg with mostly freeway driving, and about 12-13 mpg with mostly city driving (albeit in hilly San Francisco). The maintenance manager at the dealership suggested that after a long drive and/or a period of time mpg MIGHT improve as the engine breaks in. I have had several long trips and with about 5.7k miles on my car to date milage has only improved by about 1 mile.
  • Yes my mileage sucks I now have 5,000 miles on an AWD and still I am only getting 12 mpg in city and 15.5 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. I drove up from Houston, TX to St. John, NB at the beginning of the year. On the trip up using regular gas I got 13.6 pulling a little 4x6 trailer and 14.7 is the best using premium gas on nice freeways. The weather was great and the temperature did not seem to affect the mileage. I do have the dealer checking with Mazda and will be bring the SUV in for service to have the computer checked.
    U know you're not supposed to be using premium gas though right?
  • kenmarckenmarc Posts: 16
    16.5 mpg, 90/10 city/hwy, nothing over 60 mph. Not too bad. Our 04 Pilot was always 18-19. I would hope with the 6spd, it should be able to accomplish that.
  • vinsuzvinsuz Posts: 11
    I am still on my first tank of gas (just bought an '08 GT AWD this past Saturday) and have been watching the needle go down faster than Paris Hilton at a movie premier! I've put about 120 miles on the odometer and am down to a half tank! Then I turned off the Auto Climate Control and after a day (about 30 miles or so), I am still hovering around a half tank. Auto Climate Control appears to keep the A/C compressor running (the A/C light stays lit), and we all know how A/C affects mileage. When I took delivery, my salesman said the A/C stays on in Auto Climate Control mode in order to more effectively defrost the interior windows when necessary, but if it is going to have such a negative impact on my mileage, I'll adjust the controls myself. I really don't like the thought of not being able to use the Auto Climate Control feature since I've had it in my previous three cars and have become quite accustom to it.

I've seen a wide range of mileage reports in this thread, so I wonder if people would also add whether or not they have and/or use the Auto Climate Control feature.
  • kj123kj123 Posts: 11
    My first tank yielded 18.1mpg, second was really close at 17.9mpg. Mostly city driving on regular gas with a FWD Touring. I can't complain about it since regular gas is recommended and it is above average for this type of vehicle.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I noticed that with the A/C off the windows tend to fog very easily so I leave mine on. You can reduce compressor cycling, however, by turning off the rear unit.
  • Just completed a 1,000 trip in a 08 GT AWD and average mileage was 18+ with 90% interstate at 75 mph with some mixed city. HVAC was on entire trip with AC light illuminated (don't think the compressor was needed as it was 30 degrees most of the trip. I don't think I ever saw 21 but it was far better than previous 14-15 in town. I feel much better, as it is no worse than the Jeep liberty that it replaced which got 16 no matter what we did.
  • There is a problem with the MPG and it is or could be the TCS, which is being engaged when not needed creating drag. Turn off the TCS and a light comes on saiding it is off however it re-engages as soon as you take off. It should only re-engage if it detects slippage, therefore something is wrong if the light goes off showing that it has re-engaged. I have also noticed that I am getting brake noise reflecting that the system must be using the brakes to create drag causing the bad GPM. Also this is a hazard as I was pulling out of a drive way in the snow and the system has a delayed action which had brought the car to a stop and I was frantically pushing the gas pedal to get out of the on coming traffic. This is a very dangerous car and I have told Mazda this.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I think you should do a little reading about the TCS before you make such elaborate claims.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    2008 CX-9 GT AWD
    My first tank MPG was 16.5mpg with 50/50 city/highway. The highway portion is mixed with daily commute congestion (30-40mph for 50% of the highway).
    This is slightly better than my BMW 540iA (V8 4.4L), which did 16mpg on the same route. Of course, this is no where near what my Prius does, 44mpg.
    Same route, same speed, same driving style.

I am happy with the CX-9. This vehicle really shows what Mazda can do if they really try. Bravo!
  • Unfortunately I've noticed that my CX-9's fuel guage is very wonky. When I fill up the needle is pegged, and it takes about 30 miles before it drops down to full. Then drops quickly to half-tank. And then I need to refill around 290 - 300 miles. It doesn't measure drop in fuel evenly - not sure what's up with that.
  • msuvetmsuvet Posts: 54
    I've been getting 15.5-16 mpg for my tanks (usually not a full tank, as I fill up on the days that they usually raise the price, whether I need it or not).

My usual driving is about 60/40 highway/city. Generally about 77 mph on the highway.

Today I had to drive 200 miles total, 95% highway. 19.9 mpg.

I filled up before leaving, and again when back. Most of the highway driving was between 70-80 mph (not all, because the roads were still bad from our snowstorm for the first part).

my fuel gauge was between 1/2 and 1/4 tank (closer to the 1/2, didn't see what it was exactly) when I filled back up.

Also, I've noticed most of my other cars' fuel gauges go down faster on the second "half" of the tank vs the first "half"
  • All I know that Mazda should not advertise 17/21 for a AWD and I am getting on 12/15.5 mpg. Also have you ever pulled out in slippery conditions the AWD or TCS kicks in and shut the car down with on coming traffic at you. I wonder how many people will have to die before someone at Mazda takes a look at this. Everyone needs to complain to the Motor Vechile safety board and who ever they think will listen. I have talked with the dealer they have turn in a techinical review request and another dealer told me to contact Mazda but Mazda says contact the dealer and will even listen to find a resolution. I plan on making noise about this.