Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Safety

2»

Comments

• As a parent of a 17 yr old I offer this advice:
    Don't do it... Get a reliable CHEAP used car for your son. Then help him get a job.
    An Automobile has lost it's most important valueto today's youth... as a teaching tool. We Americans take our cars for granted but forget the financial aspect they represent. The purchase of an auto is the first major step in a young adults life. And while it's a good idea for mom and dad to help in this endeavor, it should be the learning experience that it can be, from coming up with the down payment to signing the loan papers. REMEMBER, this is the first step to building a good credit rating that will allow him to own his own home when the time comes. Buying him a newer Jeep may be a good gift, but it denys him the chance to learn how to pay his own bills, budget his own finances and build a credit history in a timely manner. He is sixteen now, in two years he will be able to buy and register a car in his own name, it also gives him the time to save the money for one. This is the greatest gift you can give him. And remember, if you give him exactly what he wants, you will remove his desire to WORK for something better.

This also will give him a chance to work on an older vehicle, thus learning mechanical skills that he will carry through life, as well as developing appreciation for the required maintenance cars require.

As you can see, there really is more involved in the "first car" than most people realize. Do him and yourself a big favor, make it the tool of learning major life skills it can be while he is still young.

This was my fathers philosophy, and I thank him daily, I am now retired, but I retired as a Mechanical and Electronics Engineer, thanks to the skills I learned on old cars, not to mention the financal savvy needed to survive in this day and age
    Scott
  • Very well said......and well recv'd. Thank you for reinforcing my belief's and the lessons I am trying to impart onto my two teenage daughters.

We live in an area where almost every 17 year old has a car (usually brand new) waiting for them in the driveway on their 17th birthday before they even pass their driving test. I can't believe what I'm seeing....but, it bothers me more to see my
    daughters feeling deprived that they don't have their own cars to drive to high school. It's a different world........quite a bit disheartening to see parents taking
    the easy way out whether they can afford it or not. And these kids feeling like
    they are on top of the world without even a thought of earning it ?

In anycase, I appeciated and enjoyed seeing your post ! Thanks.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,296
    I'd strongly suggest sending your daughters to Street Survival.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• myxjsmyxjs Posts: 3
    im a teen, and own a wrangler, i love it, but having switched from an audi a6, it feels like theres something missing, i would let your kid read my post, it is UNCOMFORTABLE and DIFFICULT to travel at highway speeds, also, at first when i got my jeep, i was content, i lost the luxury and comfort i had in the audi, as well as the speed, but i was happy with it still, soon after getting it, however, i wanted a lift and 35s, the whole deal, and im quickly realizing its alot more expensive than i had thought, so if your pockets are deep enough go for it, but just make sure you know what youre getting in to
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Please take note of what he said above.

It is not fast and it is not the best handling. As a Jeep owner who initially bought one for his daughter, I'm glad she nearly rolled it. It, IMO is NOT a great first vehicle. I love mine, but new drivers have enough to worry about just figuring things out. With a Wrangler, especially a lifted one, you have a higher COG to worry about. You have to worry about them not being able to accelerate adequately if needed.

If a parent still wants a Wrangler for their teen driver, please keep it stock for a while until the driver has it figured out and knows it isn't an Audi A6.

-Paul
2»
This discussion has been closed.