Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feel Conflicted about Car Purchase? Consider Readers' Advice

2»

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Things I like is that it has 20 extra hp, is slightly longer, has both heated and cooled seats, 18" factory wheels, power moon roof, and nav. It is the same nice "White Diamond" color as my current ride.

I'm happy with my current ride, just feel like something newer. I was kind of hoping to hold onto my car until 2010 when Cadillac is supposed to come up with a big RWD/AWD car, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Performance DTS just sounds like an oxymoron to me. I would hold onto the STS untill Caddy comes out with another good RWD/AWD car.

That DTS has NO residual value once it is discontinued.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    I wouldn't trade a pristine STS for a DTS, because I think the STS handles a little better, and 20 hp isn't significant. I might consider a similar deal on the new RWD STS, however. I'd only choose AWD if I lived in the snow belt. You don't get enough snow in the Philadelphia area for AWD to be necessary, in my opinion. I'd make do with snow tires in winter.
    I went to the Cadillac dealership on Friday and the numbers didn't add up. They low-balled me on my trade and didn't drop the price of the DTS to the level Edmunds and I thought was fair. The DTS wasn't so awesome that I'd want to go into debt over it. My ride has plenty of life left in it and if I want the DTS that bad, I can save the money, buy the car for cash if I want, and keep my Seville. It's not like I'm in the position where I desperately need a car. I'm doing well financially and don't want to make a stupid decision that will make life hard on me. No car is worth that kind of stress. I work a second job for the extra spending money and can quit at any time without consequence. I don't want to be in the position where I'd actually would NEED that second job.

If I do get another car, I'm starting to lean more toward the STS. GM did some STUPID things to the DTS I absolutely hate. They give you more in some areas and then take away in other areas. Sure, the DTS had Nav, satellite radio, ultrasonic parking assist, etc. But it no longer has the automatic parking brake release like all the Cadillacs I've owned since my '75 DeVille. The lights on the vanity mirrors no longer have the sliding dimmer switch, and I can tell the the steering wheel is the same unit used in the Impala only covered with leather, (and very sloppy stitching) and wood trim. My current Seville has a MUCH NICER steering wheel!!!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    I think you made a good decision.

I too am one who really notices a good (or bad) steering wheel.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    the automatic parking brake release like all the Cadillacs I've owned since my '75 DeVille

What does that do? Release the parking brake when you put the car in gear?
    Yes.

It was bad enough I couldn't get the automatic trunk "pull-down" and rear window taillamp indicators on my Seville. Well, at least the DTS has an indicator for the ultrasonic parking assist in place of the old taillamp indicators. My 1989 Cadillac Brougham and 1988 Buick Park Avenue have them.
    I couldn't get the automatic trunk "pull-down" and rear window taillamp indicators on my Seville.

I thought those FWD Sevilles had the trunk thing? Or was it bundled with some stupid options package?

What does a taillamp indicator do? Go on when the brake light bulbs burn out?
    It consist of two red lights in a small pod above the rear window. It is visible through the rearview mirror and blink with the turn signals or gets brighter with the stop lights. An unlit indicator can show a burned-out taillamp, stoplight, or turn signal bulb.

The pulldown might've been on the 1992-97 Seville, but it was gone by the 1998-03 generation. It's stupid things like this that I don't like about GM.
  • canadaguycanadaguy Posts: 4
    I need some advice. I am looking for commuter-type car that has good fuel mileage, somewhat sporty and reliable. Yes, I want a little bit of everything. Right now I am considering cars such as the 2007 vw rabbit, 2007 nissan altima and the 2007 honda civic. I have driven all of them. The rabbit was fun, but I worry about VW reliability. The civic is my reasonable choice, however, the driver seat was somewhat tight (but got used to it as the test drive continued). The Altima was great as well. I would appreciate any knowlegde/ story people have about any of these cars. Thanks.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    Welcome to the Forum,
    If you can buy the Rabbit Diesel in Canada, go for it. That will be at least 30% better mileage than the other two. If I remember correctly diesel is less expensive in Canada. The diesel is fun to drive with all that low end torque. This providing you have a decent dealer. Mine here is great.
    Thanks, but here in Canada, the diesel Rabbit come out in 2008 or 2009 (I can't remember exactly when) Either way, my current car won't hold up...as much I would like it to :)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    What's your current ride?
    :mad: A 1998 Mazda Protege

It has spent quite a bit of time in the shop. The check engine light has been on/off for the past three years. Don't worry though, cuz it's been on steady for the past year. Local dealership could not figure out what the problem was until last fall. Essentially, the repairs are more than the car is worth.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Until you said that I was all set to put you into a Mazda 3. More fun than your average bear in that class of car.

I personally find the Civic dashboard a little annoying and I can't see where the front of the car is from the drivers seat (that could be a being short thing).
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I can get this car for $43.5K which is Edmunds TMV and can finance it for 60 mo 0%. My current car is paid for, in excellent condition, and has 65.5K on the clock.

Should I go for it?

Glad you decided to wait lemko. ;) If you want to trade off your 02' Seville STS pal atleast drive the new 08' CTS. You also could find some very nice lightly used Caddy STS's. :shades: The 08' CTS, would be the way I'd go as you get a lot of car for the money. Maybe a CTS, might be worth the wait ? ;)

-Rocky
    The CTS is one of those cars that is big on the outside and small on the inside. I don't why GM (and other automakers) think they need to put Dreadnought-class dashboards and center stacks in their cars. All the dashboard has to do these days is cover up the airbags, crash bar, and air ducts. The smart fortwo is roomier than any Cadillac, and the minimalist dash is part of that feeling of openness.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    LOL, the smart fortwo, roomier ? Whatever bumpy :D

-Rocky
2»
This discussion has been closed.