Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• don33don33 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2005 santa fe in Dubai, UAE...and have the same problem.....car occasionaly "hiccups" whilist cruising on the motor way at 90 kpm.
    Anybody have a solution ?
    Regards
    Don
  • tmbmtmbm Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2004 Santa Fe. Had it inspected today and the guy at Midas showed me the transmission and coolant fluids. Said at 27,800 miles the trans. fluid should not be black!! Also the overflow container had no coolant in it. The temp was only set for 20 below. Here in upsate NY should be set for 35 below. Went to the Hyundai dealer where we are leasing from and he said both should be taken care of ASAP for over $400!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Hi ohiojim
    Saw your post about changing the timing belt on your 2002 v6 santa fe. I have a 2001 4wd auto 6 cyl santa fe and am thinking of changing the timing belt and water pump on it myself. How did you get on when you changed you t-belt. What problems did you encounter, what sources of information did you find useful? Did you need any special tools/computers
    Was the job worth while doing yourself? I am mechanically minded learner just changed the t-belt on my girlfriends vw jetta using bentely manual

Thanks in advance for your help
    Patrick
  • mhumble73mhumble73 Posts: 4
    I have a 05 Santa Fe with the 2.7 V6 engine. I am going to start doing oil changes myself but can't figure out from the manual how much oil, with filter change, the car takes? Is it 4.2 or 4.8? Also, how much transmission fluid on the auto tranny?
    Thanks for any help.
  • teacher447teacher447 Posts: 21
    I'd like to change the coolant in the radiator of my 2004 SF. There is a plastic plate under the radiator. Is there another way than to remove it to get to the radiator petcock?
  • My wife sewed a terry cloth towel with a zipper on one end(make it slightly larger than the base of the child seat). Into this she placed a piece of foam mattress block. She placed this cushion unit between the leather seat in the back and placed the child seat on top of it. After 4 years, whenever we've had to clean the back, the leather was protected from scuffing and the foam block cushioned the leather seat from imprinting. Be sure to condition the leather seat in its entirety whenever you clean to maintain its suppleness and texture. ;)
  • Get that sucker serviced. My vehicle caught fire w/ relations to the timing belt. see: www.flaminghyundai.blogspot.com. You will not find mention of the timing belt there, but I assure you it was part of the problem, as well as the water pump, and clashing pistons/valves. Thank you.
  • I have a 2003 2.7 V6 and need to change my timing belt shortly, as I have 59,000+ miles. Do I need to do "all" of the 60,000 maintenance in order to keep my warranty in tact or can I do portions of it? (I was told that instead of the 60,000 maintenance, I could do a Transmission Flush Service and a Coolant Flush Service instead). Also, I was given a price for the 60,000 maintenance which included the spark plugs, but was told the wires would cost an additional $85.00. Does that make any sense?? Thank you.
  • wjanerwjaner Posts: 25
    I would love to get a reply from one of you maintainance engineers out there in Hyundai land. I have a 2003 santa fe 4 cylinder. I desire to change the radiator coolant. I have the factory maintainance manual but it does not show an engine drain plug for the coolant.
    The coolant capacity is two gallons total. When I drain the radiator only one gallon will drain out.
    I found a plug on the rear of the engine block in a very inaccessable area so I want to be sure before I start the attack strategy.
    I know someone out there in Hyundai land can come through and help me. Man is great, man is powerful and man can do it. Please don't let me down Man!!
    Sparcap54
  • I just had my 2004 Sante Fe in for an oil change (not at the dealer) last week and they old me that the oil sensor switch is leaking and I need to take it to the dealer to get it fixed under the warrenty. Before we could get it to the dealer my daughter took it for a weekend out of town trip. On the way back the engine started making noise. It sounds real bad now. There is oil all under the body and the back window of my car. I had it towed to the dealer today and am afraid that since I didn't have the oil changes there and may not be able to produce all the receipts, I may have a problem. Anyway, was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the oil sensor switch. :confuse:
  • My wife has a new Tucson and I am in the process of buying a new 2007 Santa Fe.

Understand both vehicles call for 5W20 oil.

Was wondering what brands people are using.

I don't use the quick lube places and normally have the dealer change the oil but may start doing myself with Hyundai Oil Filters?

About the only place you can get the cartridge type filter that the 3.3 liter engine uses is the dealer.
  • Since the dealer price on oil changes are not much more than quick lube I wouldnt change unless your in a hurry. Reputable Hyundai dealers do much more than change the oil. They give your vehicle a quick inspection to make sure all is ok. Many times an issue with the car may not require a re-call but does require the dealer to inspect and correct if needed. For example, my wife has the Entourage, although there was nothing wrong with her brake lights when I brought it in for an oil change I noticed they were under the dash. Finding this a strange place to be for an oil change I questioned it. Turned out some wiring could rub the brake pedal over time and short so they were correcting the problem before it became a short.
  • Use a hair dryer, keep it moving and SLOWLY remove any of the emblems (except the large "H" in the chrome circle, it will leave a hole).
  • The dealer has it, but it's a little pricey, same as their duplicate key, at least the car is reasonably priced.
  • The 2007 has a "drop in" oil filter, which is reached under the top plastic shield/plate on the engine. Has anyone changed their own oil with this filter. Any tricks or tips. Also, where do you get 5-20w oil? Thanks very much.
  • I plan on 3,000 mile changes. Have just over 1,000 miles on my 3.3 Liter 2007 Santa Fe now and plan on using the same 5W20 oil that we use in my Wife's Tuscan.

Had thought about changing my own oil but now the plan is letting the dealer do it.

I will furnish the oil and will be using Motorcraft 5W20 Semi-Synthetic oil that one can buy at Wal-Mart, or Havoline 5W20 oil.

Have read good things about Hyundai oil filters.

If your dealer has 5W20 oil, you can let him do everything including furnishing the oil.

Many dealers use bulk 5W30 or 10W30 oils and that is the reason I bring my own oil.

Being retired we make quite a few short trips around town and that is the reason I will stick with 3,000 oil changes.

Plan on going on a 2,500 + mile trip next month and will have the oil changed just before heading out.

I never go to the quick lube places + they will not have the oil filter for the 3.3 liter engine.

At least here we find oil and filter changes cost less at the dealer too.
  • edmac1edmac1 Posts: 36
    You say "Many dealers use bulk 5W30 or 10W30 oils and that is the reason I bring my own oil." This is interesting since the manual recommends 5W20 and I would think that dealers would use the recommended weight. Also, you mention supplying the oil yourself. I don't know of any dealer, service station, or jiffylube where I live (Maryland) that will allow you to provide your own oil. They make part of their profit by charging you $3 a quart for oil they buy for 50 cents.
  • Dealer here has no problems with you furnishing your own oil. The 3.3 liter engine takes a special cartridge filter which as far as I am aware, is only available at the dealer.

If you change your own oil, you can buy the filter at their parts department along with the O rings and crush washer that you need.

I am operating under the assumption that the dealer will charge approximately the same rate for the service whether you furnish your own oil or not?

Don't think you will find any of the quick lube places that have the cartridge filter + I have read that the OEM filters get great reviews.
  • Went to dealer for oil/filter change. After checking level at home, found it to be about 1/2 quart over full mark. I would much rather do it my self. Also, they used 10W-30, I asked re that and they said they spoke with manufacturer and it's o.k. Well, maybe, but I would like to stick w/5-20W. The only thing that stops me is the "tightness" of the cap on filter cartridge. Anyone had experience w/this? Thanks for all the great info!
  • Yes, the oil filter cap is tight. I used a strap wrench to loosen and tighten it. There was a reference set of matching marks, so I would know how tight to tighten the cap. Also, the oil level does vary quite a bit between first shutting down the engine and letting the vehicle sit. It varies much more then any vehicle I have ever owned. It is probably partially due to filter sitting up high and draining over time. I have only changed oil once, but I also noticed something else. The oil level seemed different after driving the vehicle. IOW, I normally let the car idle after an oil change then rev a little to circulate the oil. I then recheck the level. I did this with the 07 SF and oil level appeared fine. I drove the vehicle the next day, parked in same spot and the level was different. I will try to replicate this scenario during next oil change. The manual says wait 5-minutes from engine shut-down to check level. Like I already said, this vehicle varies oil level much more than any I've owned. HTH
  • The filler cap on both our 2007 Santa Fe and Tuscan clearly states use 5/20 oil. Some dealers and quick lube places use bulk 10W30 oil if you don't keep an eye on them + as I had previously mentioned that the quick lube places do not have the oil filter that Hyundai uses on the 3.3 Liter Engine.

The following web site has quite a bit of info on oil and other maintenance related items.

Link To Oil Info

I think that any SM GF4 5W20 oil will work well for 3,000 mile changes.
  • aqateanaqatean Posts: 1
    My friends, does anyone reads manuals anymore. It states that HYUNDAI recommends "Quaker State", you can use 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30, I believe the thickness depends of where you live; I just replace my wife's 2007 Santa Fe SE (at 3000 Miles) oil with 10W-30 because we live in Houston, I could not believe it when I saw the old oil, it was very dark, so I hope next oil change (6000 Miles) looks a little cleaner with the type I just put. As for the Oil filter, I did not replace it because I couldn't find it, next time I will thanks to a tip in this website. I check around and STP and Frame has it, you can get it Autozone and Walmart, it is a cylinder that looks as it is an air filter-no metal case. Personaly, I won,t spend extra money in doing this type of maintenance. Good luck! :shades:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,876
    We just kicked around oil changes and the "3,000 mile oil change myth" over in the CR-V maintenance discussion. And you can't tell out how dirty your oil is simply by looking at it. Many of us do what the manufacturer recommends. :shades:

terryp1, "Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair" #5317, 11 May 2007 1:45 pm

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    Difficult question since so much is dependent on your driving style. With over 8000 miles on my tires, they show very little wear. I anticipate well over 30 thousand miles before they need replacement. I will likely replace them sooner, just to get a tire with better traction ratings for safety reasons.

I've never had any vehicle that required brake pad replacement prior to 80,000 miles. Then, I always use a light touch on the brakes (unless one of the many crazy drivers on the road forces something a little more drastic :) ). I have no reason to expect differently with the Santa Fe.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • flwonderflwonder Posts: 33
    Davesuv:

How are you caring for the beige leather interior?
    I love the beige but feel like it would be a
    nightmare to keep clean along with the beige carpet.

Any thoughts?

Flwonder
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    If you have the beige carpet, I found a great looking set of similar colored floormats at Walmart for $24-95 iwth a darker beige insert that looks like they were meant for the car.
    I also found a cheap light brown floor mat big enough for the cargo area.

I had leather on my old SUV which was a Taupe shade and it wore pretty well . I just used proprietary leather cleaner and conditioner on it, which worked just fine.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    Thanks for the reply, Davesuv.After having read such useful stuff in these posts, It's always a pleasure to exchange experiences - it helps the learning curve for us all.

I was hoping for 50K miles for these tires with regular rotations at 5k or so. The 18" tires are more expensive to buy.

My last set of tires on a front wheel drive SUV obviously wore most on the front set,which I also had to replace at 35k. I had another set put on at 70k, so both sets lasted for 35k. I could have pushed them further, as they had just a small amount of tread left before the markers, but that's just not worth it. I shall have more regular rotations on the S.F.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Posts: 132
    flwonder, I know you asked davesuv but I can't help myself. I bought Leather Master cleaning and conditioning products. I haven't used the cleaner yet as I conditioned the leather right away. We are using those plastic mats with the deep tread that traps the snow, dirt and water to protect the carpet. Our SF came with the plastic liner and it stays in place at all times. There are frequent heel and shoe marks on the threshold so I use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser for these. Works like a charm! I'm always cleaning and babying my baby. My husband probably thinks I'm obsessed, but he's sweet to never say anything.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    I also really like the brighter interior of the beige leather. It, together with the sunroof, give a very open feel to the vehicle. Just like lv2drv, I like to try to take care of my interior. Kind of surprising for me since I've never bothered about it too much with my prior cars. There's something about this Santa Fe that gives me that extra incentive.

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner (comes in a spray bottle) on my leather seats. It does a nice job of taking any dirt off and keeping the leather soft. For most other surfaces, I use a product called Tech Stain Remover ( web site ). It's safe for the surfaces and does a nice job on stains. My wife really likes it for around the house.

I bought a nice set of rubberized floor mats in a tan color that goes nicely with the beige interior. My SF came with the Hyundai ones, but I find from past cars that the lighter color carpet type floor mats quickly get dirty and are tough to keep looking nice (I've always had beige interiors). So I took the original ones out from the front and replaced them with a set of heavy duty tan rubber SUV-sized mats with deep grooves (bought them at Meijer). They fit perfectly without trimming. Now I can just take them out and hose them off and scrub them when I wash the car and they look great. I even cut out a hole in each mat to fit over the retention pin in the floor. For the second row, I just put the smaller rear seat tan rubber mats on top of the Hyundai mats. I did not get anything extra for the third row and just use the Hyundai mat there since it is rarely used. I have the Hyundai cargo tray to protect the rear cargo space floor.

So far, my interior still looks like brand new :shades:

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • flwonderflwonder Posts: 33
    lv2drv:

Thanks for your help. Sounds like you
    are taking good care of the light interior.

Flwonder