Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Acura TL vs. Nissan Altima

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    the Altima could have higher rebates even though Nissan has stated that they do not intend to use rebates much anymore.

the only specials nissan has offered so far on the altima are .7% financing, and the $500 rebate for college students. with the exception of some modest rebates at the end of the year to clear out the remaining 07's, I wouldn't expect to see anything substantial. as long as continues with its double digit year to year growth, they really have no reason to.
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Posts: 43
    At this stage, with time to play with, waiting to see what the '08 Accord delivers makes sense. I am SERIOUSLY underwhelmed by the exterior styling and the one pic I have seen of the interior (with a ginormous cavern in the middle of the dash) doesn't warm my heart, either. But in V6 form, it should certainly deliver power and refinement in spades. It's your call on the styling.

Of course, when it comes to getting any kind of a discount on that car anytime soon - fuhgeddaboutit.

Jaeger
  • johninnjjohninnj Posts: 243
    I'm just curious....but have you driven a nicely equipped Legacy GT? I honestly don't think much competes when value is interjected.
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    For some reason at least at my age do not like the hood scoop. But thanks for the suggestion. Old Mike
    Jaeger: From what I can see on the new Accord from the pictures I am also not overly excited. I wonder if it is worth test driving a 2.5 Altima many people say it has lots of power, for a 4 banger. Tonight I am driving a rental Camry 4 cylinder LE while the Jeep is in the shop. So far it is fine perhaps somewhat underpowered, but only have driven 5 miles. I see that the Altima HID's are reflectors as opposed to projectors, I wonder how much difference that makes in night driving. It is possible that I might have to test drive a V6 Camry besides the trans issue not sure what else might be wrong with them. Old Mike
    I see that the Altima HID's are reflectors as opposed to projectors, I wonder how much difference that makes in night driving. Old Mike

I don't know what it is about the altima's lighs, could be the bulb, angle, or reflector/projector as you said, but it is one thing I would compalin about with mine. low beams just don't provide much light it seems. can see great with the hi's on, but with low beam the distance both in front, and to the side, that get lit seems very small.
    JD10013 Do you have the Xenon HID's and find them not so good. I knew I needed a night test drive, if the lights are bad that is a total deal breaker for me. When I sign my name as Old Mike I mean it, the eyes are not as good as they once were. Old Mike
    Old Mike, taking the Alti 2.5 for a spin is certainly worthwhile. I was very surprised by how strong it felt - I think in this application the CVT transmission really makes the most of that motor. It will probably feel stronger than the automatic TSX because although it has less horsepower, it has more torque. But it is nowhere near the 3.5, it probably goes without saying. I recently recommended to a close friend of mine who was considering the Altima that he drive the 2.5 extensively, and if happy with the performance, never touch the 3.5 - 'cause it's hard to go back.

I took a close look at the Camry - excellent in many respects but very boring. Complete driver isolation is their goal and they have very nearly achieved it - but I am not that kind of driver.
    Jaeger: I find the Camry to be floaty, trans seems to hunt too much, lights at night are weak, seems to have good pulling power, stereo OK, not enough adjustments on the seat for me but this is only an LE. Now dont everyone shoot me but, either there was something wrong with the TSX I drove, or they were so refined that they did not feel like they pulled as hard as the 4 cylinder Camry using the seat of the pants meter.
    Old Mike
  • johninnjjohninnj Posts: 243
    I had a loaner tsx auto when I had my TL. Unless you floor it to let the auto rev it out...it's barely moving. Nice car...shame about the motor...the 4 cyl in the reg accord feels better in about 90% of conditions.
    haven't done anything with my headlights, whatever the factory put in there is whats there. If its something important to you, I'd deffinitly arrange to driv one at night, its very hard to describe it. Its not so much that they arn't bright, it just seems to me that the areas to the side of the car are not lit very well, and the the lights don't project out very far. It's been my experience that most cars I've owned, they're wasn't that big a difference between the high and low beams. Hi's have always aimed higher, and provided more light, but it seems with my altima, the difference is huge.

It could just be me, but seeing as its very important to you, I'd deffinitly look into it.
    If you're that dissatisfied with your headlight performance maybe you should have them checked out - could be that the aim is out of spec. Mine work great - much brighter and a wider area of illumination than my '01 Maxima. I don't have HID's - Canadian sedans do not come with them even as an option.

I agree that any vehicle that one is seriously considering should be test-driven at night. That is car-buying 101, yet overlooked by many.

Jaeger
    Its not that it's so horrible, just not up to par with other cars I've owned. I may get it looked at though, as It will be going back to the dealership soon for the air filter recall.
    This will now become more difficult, looking at the dealer inventories that I had found two SL's that I might be interested in , the cars are gone. Most nissan dealers have very few SL's dont really think they order that many.
    Wonder when the 08 sedans will start to arrive so they can build inventory.
    But I do notice that my local acura dealer has 56 TL's,many nissan dealers dont even have 56 altimas total. Seems like many acura dealers have a lot of TL's some have over 90.
    I think acura better up the dealer cash more,and put the lease deals back on,the 08 TSX's are on the lots and the 08 TL's can't be far behind.
    On another nissan site there seems to be a few problems cropping up with the push button start failing, and also problems with the I key, makes me want to think twice about the push button start. I know the I key problem may be due to cells phones,
    Old Mike
    I recall one guy posting about a push-button start problem that he could never get to recur - I'll have to look around and see whether this "problem" has since expanded to "problems" that other owners are experiencing.

The i-key issue is well documented. If your i-key is directly adjacent to certain types of cell phones WHEN THE PHONE RINGS - your key could get zapped. Replacement i-keys will be issued in the fall to all owners. Until then, it is a mere inconvenience (for some) to simply avoid putting phone and key in the same pocket.

The key problems are regrettable to be sure, but the fix is in and having experienced the supreme convenience the i-key / push-button start setup I would never go back to the old ways. Every time I drive my wife's Honda and have to go through the exertion (kidding) of pressing a door-unlock button on a key fob, sticking a key into a hole and cranking it.. well... it seems decidedly Jurassic. May sound silly, but remember when power windows were thought to be pure luxury frippery? Can't do without them now, can we?

Jaeger
    On another nissan site there seems to be a few problems cropping up with the push button start failing,

I think it was just one person, If we're talking about the same website. as for the 08 altima's, I think they'll be out in about a month.
    One had a chip replaced another had a problem which seemed to resolve itself. Yea we are talking about the same site.
    I am an internet junkie.
    Sat in an 07 Accord today at the dealer just to compare to A TSX, the Accord interior is very nice, really went there to ask about the 08 they say mid september which agrees whith internet forums. Also sat in an 07 Altima charcoal interior which is also very nice, but got real bad attitude from a Nissan sales guy for wanting to do that, seems like this is a real cutthroat dealership and he was not my regular sales guy,regular sales person was a kid that grew up in my neighborhood. Nissan probably lost a customer over this, seems like they do not do sales training 101 with their people. Will probably look at TL now. Old Mike
    You can't go wrong with a TL
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    Jaeger; I took a 3.5 SL out yesterday, wow very impressive, Sure gets up and moves better than the TL, but tis steering is so numb and sensitive. Wonder if the SE is any better. I too now am waiting ont he Accord, have seen goo pics latley and liek the look. I suspec the Accord will handle better than the Altima or at least give a btter steering feedback. I come form 3 TLs and am not sure what I am going to do. The Altima Bos is a bit better than the TL ELS. The TL Nav while not as feature packed as the Altima in my mind is a btter nav. The Altima forces you to do either the command through voice or the numeoris cluttering on screen menus ont he nav map. TL has a clean map display and you invoke functions through buttons. Sur eI guess buttons are money, but the smaller cluttered screen on the Altima is of concern. Also Honda is the only MFG I have seen that treats us like grown adults and lets u us the touch screen while the car is moving. While too expensive and gas hog the soudn system in the new G35 is awesome, clean an powerful through the entire power band.
    If anyone is still reading this thread, I finally bit the bullet and go a 07 base TL.Very nice car, but does have torque steer, it is fast enough for me. Tires are crap, in the rain from a stop making a left you can spin them real easy even with trying to be carefull with the gas. May take a little getting used to. Love the interior, HID's. Did not like the looks of the new 08 accord. Test drove an 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee of which I have had 4 new ones over the past 10 years, they have trashed the interior and the V6 feelt slower than the old I6, so no jeep for me, also drove Volvo S60 real nice but not many 07's left to choose from,seats are the best. Not many TL's my dealer only had two, I got a red one, Old Mike
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Congrats! Hope that red doesn't attract too much attention from the law-enforcement types. ;)
    Congrats Old Mike - happy driving.

Jaeger
  • You did the right thing. I almost bought an Altima 3.5SE with bluetooth and leather then realized for a few thousand more I could have an Acura TL with MUCH better repair and reliability records... in the end it was a no-brainer. I love my 2008 TL.
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    I currently own 04 TL. Had it for almost four years and it’s almost paid off. I am looking for better performing 4dr sedan, but can’t find anything.

The other day I drove Altima 3.5SL sedan, and I hated it. Too much body roll, tires were spinning when I stepped hard on the gas, and the car skidded when I took a left turn from the stop light. It seemed like the car couldn’t handle the HP.

Today I drove 3.5SE sedan. Ahhh, what a difference!!! Suspension and handling are similar to TL, but the engine and CVT are so sweet! It is much faster than and smoother than TL.

Basically, if performance is your only criteria, 3.5SE (not SL) is a better choice over TL. However, TL interior is much nicer than Altima. Here is the problem, I am 6’1” and my 12 year old is complaining about rear leg room in the TL. According to specs, the rear leg room is similar; however, when I adjusted my seat in the Altima, there was less rear leg room than in the TL.

Secondly, I am concerned about Altima's reliability, that’s why I tried to lease it. They quoted me $477 per month with 0 down for 36 months. That’s on 3.5SE with premium pkg. and VSC no NAV, which invoices at about 28K. Such a high lease payment means low residual and resale value. BTW, they appraised my 4 year old TL w/ 30K miles at $20K, excellent resale value.

As far as pricing, base 07 TL has $2500 dealer cash. I bet that 08 will have it also in a couple of months. That puts TL’s street price at 29K (invoice - $2500). Similarly equipped Altima 3.5SE with premium pkg. and VSC invoices at $28K, 1k difference. As I said, Altima has better performance, but TL is more refined, nicer interior, better reliability and resale value. If I were to choose one now, I would wait for 09 TL. :P

BTW, I also test drove $36K Passat V6. 3.5SE is overall better performer, firmer suspension, more powerful engine and smother transmission.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Unfortunately, that $36K Passat V6. 3.5SE is built by VW :sick:

If you worry about reliability...look elsewhere.
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    I am sorry, the last sentence in my post wasn't clear. It should have said:

BTW, I also test drove $36K Passat V6. The Altima 3.5SE is an overall better performer, has firmer suspension, more powerful engine and smother transmission.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    You guys questioning the Altima's reliability are nuts. In '02 when they first starting making Altimas in the new US factory there were some issues, but they've been fine since them.

I have an '03 Maxima I wouldn't trade for the world. It is ready to roll 50k miles, and is 100% squeak/rattle free. Never had a problem with it.

Maybe I'm strange, but I think the new G's interior is much nicer than the current TL's.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720
    Not strange at all. Personal preference...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    And I agree with him! :P ;) :blush:
  • the G is a newer car
This discussion has been closed.