Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Acura TL vs. Nissan Altima

1235»

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    Doesn't really matter. Personal preference is just that. It isn't right or wrong for anyone but the individual. It just is.

IHMO, the interior of the '05 TL was far superior to the interior of the '05 G. Haven't had any up close and personal time with the '07 G interior, but from pix it looks like an improvement.

Current TL exterior is still much more handsome than the new G, of course... ;)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    Perna, I also had an 03 Max GLE with 17k miles, which I sold - or more like gifted - to a very close relative of mine last year. The Max is a nice and trouble-free car, but when compared with the TL, the latter wins hand down, especially in the technology and handling depts. I also cross shopped the G when I bought my TL, but I chose the TL because it suits me better. The TL's FWD is better suited for the snow belt than the RWD G, which, though handles better, is pretty much immobilized in the snow, unless you equip it with AWD or snow tires.
  • exb0exb0 Posts: 539
    Well, the Consumer Reports reliability ratings for 08 models just came out. Altima V6 is below average. Not be outdone, Camry V6 is even lower, 40% below average. Looks like I am keeping my first model year TL for a while
  • I have a 2007 Nissan Altima and am having problems with having a dead battery. Three times it has happened and when it does you can't get in the trunk unless you enter through the back seats. I now find myself with a battery starter in my trunk and a coat hook to reach the lever to release the trunk lid. Very discouraging. I have 24,000 miles on my fully loaded Altime 4cylSE. I have been told that if you .happen to accidently push the off button twice it will engage all the relays and electrical system. Each time my battery went totally dead in less that 3 hours making the keyless entry system worthless. Speaking of the intelligent key, this is the most worthless gimmick I have ever had. Will never own a car without a key.

Anyone else having similar problems. I am now looking at an Acura TL or G35 Infinity.
  • Anyone else having similar problems. I am now looking at an Acura TL or G35 Infinity.

...had an '07 G but now an '08 G + '07 Altima, don't have any problems with either the remote or the battery.
  • Is there any chance you got it too close to your cell phone and got it screwed up like others with that debacle? I love that feature and have never had any problems on my '07 3.5SE. Almost sounds like there is a short someplace?!?! Your story sounds like ahuge pain in the butt however and can easily see ahy you'd want another car. Good Luck!
  • I just got a 2008 3.5 SE, and a friend of mine has a 2005 Acura TL. I've driven his TL a lot, so I figured I would toss in my two cents here. I think that if you take a loaded 3.5 SE with leather and Nav it beats out the regular TL and even the TL-S. The TL is a very nice design and if I could go back to 2004 I would have even bought one. However, the Altima has 3 years on the TL and as we all know the bar is raised every year. The intelligent key, the push button start, the lack of torque steer, the better acceleration with similiar gas mileage, and the fact that it would be b/w 5-10k less than the TL makes the Altima a winner in my book. The TL-S is impressive, but for that price you might as well go ahead and by a 3 series which is way ahead of both vehicles.

One thing the TL has over the Altima is the interior design. The Altima's interior is much improved with a very sharp looking gauge cluster and some quality molded plastic, but the center stack has some budget plastic. Overall, it is very sharp looking, but the TL has it beat. It has higher quality leather and some really nice silver accents that make it look really slick.

Interior quality aside, I feel I made the correct choice in getting a high end Altima. In 2009 a new TL is going to come out though, and I have a feeling it is going to be an impressive vehicle.
  • TL wins:
    - Exterior looks
    - Interior styling - feels sexy
    - It's unique (Altimas are everywhere and all trims look alike on the outside)
    - It's an Acura (plus for me since I'm a honda guy, but hey everything in life changes, eh?)
    - Memory seats (seriously Nissan - wtf?)
    - Voice command actually works (seriously Nissan - wtf?)

V6 SE wins:
    - More power
    - Better feeling ride (personal preference, I know, and unusual coming from a honda guy)
    - Keyless fob thingy - cool as [non-permissible content removed]!

What to do, what to do. For almost a year now I've been waiting for what's next... the next Accord to come out (I hate it). The end of the year (TL deals galore - where are they). The 09 TLs to come out. Meanwhile the Altima has come out of left field and attracted me. Why oh why couldn't they put memory seats in them? My short wife and I drive this car equally - memory seats is a must. What to do, what to do.
  • TL deals galore - where are they

Um, nearly $2K under invoice isn't a good deal?
  • Well if memory seats are worth the 6K more for a TL then by all means. I personally would just remember where I liked my seating position, but then again I don't have to adjust it everyday.

One thing though, TL's are pretty common too. I see them all over the place. Also after driving a TL and then the Altima back to back I think the Altima is more fun to drive. Good luck with your decision.
    Rather simple:

TL-S for you.
    Altima SE for the wife.

Now, was that so hard?! ;)

And yes, unfortunately, I see more TLs than I'd like. But they are a handsome beast! Especailly mine, resplendant in multiple-coated Zaino Abyss Blue! :D

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Memory seats (seriously Nissan - wtf?)
    - Voice command actually works (seriously Nissan - wtf?)

one word, infiniti. Am I the only one that finds it odd to compare a luxury car to a family sedan? :confuse:
    Not really. By comparing you decide which type/level of car you desire. Then you have to decide is it worth the potential greater purchase price for the (entry level) luxury car (TL). Also, he may be choosing FWD, Infiniti is RWD (or AWD which, in addition to benefits, adds weight and complexity. Reducing performance and mpg). I see it as a legit comparison: two powerful, handsome, FWD four door sedans...

My next car choice may come down to the Audi S5 or new Jag XF. Some may perceive that as an odd comparison, but I have to compare/drive/evaluate to help decide if I want two/four doors, AWD/RWD, manual tranny/auto, German/British...

Or the Jag XK. Yeah, sure.

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Hi, I currently drive a 2008 Base TL; while I love this car inside and out one thing I find is that the ride is a little too firm for my taste but that was to be expected with its double wishbone suspension; my family is looking to get another car and have been looking at a Altima 3.5SL or 2009 Maxima SV without the sport and premium packages; what I wanted to know is the ride quality better or at least a little less firm than my 08 TL on both the altima or maxima? and does anyone know between the altima 3.5SL and maxima SV without sport package if one car over the other has a little bit smoother/better controlled ride???
  • everybody should read your comments. Excellent post.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.