Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Electrical Problems

green55green55 Posts: 2
edited January 3 in Mazda
My 1997 Mazda Miata headlights stopped working in the open position. The lights still operate but the raise and lower actuators do not. I checked the fuse panel for the obvious but need help in diagnosing this problem.

Comments

• rt69rt69 Posts: 1
    A few days ago I rplaced my headlights with new ones the old ones were just dull and old but worked fine, last night I went to use the Hi-beams and nothing, I pulled back on the turn signal switch and they went on, Anyone have any ideas???????
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Maybe a harness is connected upside down? That's my guess.

Sorry, never worked on the pop-up headlights. At least you can still use them. Imagine if they were stuck down!
  • lost6lost6 Posts: 2
    I had the same problem in another vehicle, and had to replace the harness from the turn indicator to the lights.
  • I have been reading several of the posts about removing the battery and having to re-enter a security code for the anti-theft/radio to start working. I had purchased this vehicle over a year ago after it have been in a wreck. I recently finished putting it back together and have found that the radio does not work at all. Can anyone help me figure out how to get the radio working? Also this Miata has a key fob with it. Thanks!!
  • My headlights stopped working, I checked the fuse and it's OK. They pop-up and close with no problems. Is it possible that both lights could burn out at the same time??
    Yes, in fact that's very likely, because bulb life tends to be pretty consistent.

I had lights burn out within a week of each other, and this was after 7 years of use!
  • My Miata has no headlights in the low beam position only. The high beams work fine, The manual (Haynes) suggests the combination switch mounted on top of the steering column as the culprit, and sure enough, there is no continuity between the terminals listed. What I need to know is what needs to be replaced, The entire sub assembly, with the directionals, cruise control, etc. or is there an easier way out? Also, any suggestions as to where to find the right part would be helpful.
  • I have 1997 mx5 with complete gauge package & my oil pressure gauge is not working many say that 1997 only came with oil light but mine has actual gauge could this be the sending unit and were can I locate the unit to test

thank you
    Blaine
  • I have a 1990 miata and the windows do not work but the headlights do, friend gave me the car and I am trying to fix it.

thanks
    keli
  • Our miata is having electrical difficulty. First we had to replace the battery, then the alternator, then the ignition coil, but it still has the problem. If we use the radio, heater, lights, it will run down and die. It will only run right if all these things are off.

If anyone has had this or similar difficulties, can you tell me what you did to fix it? Where is the regulator located. The repair book doesn't mention it so we assumed it was internal in the alternator, the parts store has a part, but we can't find it. That is about the last thing we have to check or replace, so where is the dang thing located?????

thanks,
    Lisa
  • zaphoidzaphoid Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with the tail lights and dash lights going out? The fuse continues to blow and nothing has been done to the electrical system. I did increase the fuse size by 5 amps and that did not help.
    I've lost a bulb on my '93, but no other problems.
  • shmoogeyshmoogey Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to your question on Miata high beams? I have the same problem in a 2000 Miata.

Schmoogey
  • natedog1natedog1 Posts: 3
    I am embarrassed to say that both low beams were burned out at the same time. I tried a used column switch before I figured it out. The column switch is under the steering wheel and controls the trun signals wipers etc.
    It's weird, how that happens. I've had bulbs blow out after 7-9 years, and then the 2nd one will blow out within a week of the other.

Incredible coincidence, really.
  • archerjsarcherjs Posts: 1
    Help if you can. I was driving my 1999 Miata at 60 mph everything working fine and then I pushed the airconditioning button and the car ignition just shut down and now it will not start. Can any one please tell me what the problem may be? Thx
    John
  • boerneboerne Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Miata. Last week while I was driving on the highway, suddenly and briefly, everything shut off - the radio, cruise control, AC, etc. I'm guessing the engine might've stopped for a second or two but it was hard to tell because of the cruise control shutting off at the same time. But then, everything came back on as quickly as it had shut off - all of the instrument panel lights came on, then shut off, leaving only the ABS, anti-skid, and the handbrake lights staying on. It appeared to be working normally.

I took it straight to the dealer who has now had it for several days. They test drove it (and of course there was no repeat occurence), flahsed the computer (making the warning lights go away), but still have no idea what happened. They are checking the Mazda "Tech site" to see if there are any other reports of the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
  • cpicocpico Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 miata and all my dash and interior lights don't work. All the fuses are fine any suggestions?
    Hmm, could it be the bulbs? That would be a pretty big coincidence, but maybe there was a power surge that blew them all out.

Check the bulbs by your right knee, that's the easiest one to access.
  • red93red93 Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road about 75 MPH for about 2hrs when the dash went out. No warnings ,nothing. All gauges were gone radio,tach,temphorn,lights,turn signals to mention a few. Stopped at rest stop and shut it off . Would not restart. Battery dead. Had it towed mechanic tested battery and alternator both checked OK. Drove the car back and it did it again . Dead battery etc. Recharged battery and it works ok. I think its the alternator . The time to charge the battery gave time for the alt. to cool (?). I have been told maybe ground issues,bad ignition switch etc. I have had this car only a few months and I dont have them figured out yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confuse: