Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Clear Plastic Bra

2»

Comments

• Thanks!

Any reason why you didn't go for P1514AB on the hood/fender? - looks like it might cover the entire hood and thus eliminate any line midway up. Too costly? No real added benefit? Other?

Also, do these things look great for years and years? Should I factor in having to replace it during lifetime of car? If it is removed, does the car look good as new?
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    None to worry.
    I'm a fanatic and enjoy being one.

The wife hates it though.
    She feels like I love the car more than her and hopes the affair will be over soon. ;)
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    I can't stand the thought of covering my entire hood or fender in plastic. :cry:

I didn't want to do this at all but felt that it had to be done.
    I went with the coverage necessary to keep it clear of dings, without going overboard.
  • fred61fred61 Posts: 2
    No I didn't. When I showed up at the installer's establishment I was informed they didn't have enough material and I would have to wait another two week. I lost confidence in them. If you can't manage your inventory chances are you can't do a professional job. I picked up my car and decided to save the money. Sorry but I cant recommend them.
  • For that region, I recommend Chris of Pristine Autowerk, a 3M Certified Installer. He got me started in this biz 2 yrs ago. I cover Pa, Del, S.NJ Glen
  • Just had a clear bra intalled on my car by Transparentbra.com
    Owner-Daniel provides a mobile service that is efficient, on time and delivers what he promises. Got the hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper, headlights done. Barely visible from almost all angles.
    Give them a call if you are in northern Cal.
  • Has anyone done the installation themselves?

www.invisiblemask.com (3M or Invisi-Mask film)

These guys have the hood kit (includes mirrors) for $114.24, the bumper kit for $230.92, and a light kit for $58.30. With that you get Free Installation Kit, Free Shipping, Free door edge guard kit, and Free door handle cup kit.

They send you a CD with a video and claim it is easy to do....
  • hkyhky Posts: 71
    Not easy to do, I have similar product installed on mine by professional and seen the process. You will need a lots of patience to put it in the right place, squeeze all the bubbles, heat gun will be needed in some areas and some tiny bubbles may have to wait couple of weeks under the heated sun to get it completely off. I wouldn't do it to a 35K car unless you have done it before or tried on someone's else car :)
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    Totally agree - I've seen it done as well and patience/skill are key.
    Z
  • dajatdajat Posts: 13
    After reviewing the useful info in the "...Clear Plastic Bra...." section of this forum, and checking with some installers in the Raleigh, NC area I got the clear mask / bra / paint protection film applied to my '08 G35x (white 4 door sedan).
    My observations of the experience follow:
    There are a number of paint protection films out there, but some of the most popular products are made by just a few companies, 3M (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/) and CP Films (http://www.cpfilms.com/products.html) possibly being the largest.
    In my area 3M sells a product under the Scotchguard name. CP Films has a product called Llumar.
    Sellers of each say theirs is the best. My conclusion is that they area comparable products.
    The two installers I checked were Formula One and 3M Window Tinting (http://www.raleighwindowtinting.com/).
    I used the latter (3M Window Tinting) because their installer Todd Shields was highly knowledgeable, was willing to provide references, AND had a slot available today.
    The bumper, part of the hood, part of the mirrors, lights, and front fenders were done. It is all but invisible. So far I am very pleased. I am going on a 900 mile trip next week and am glad I was able to get it done before going on the road.
    The total was $740.00. Apparently cost of the job is based on difficulty. At 3M the scale is 1 - 5; with 5 being the most difficult. The 07 / 08 G35 models are rated 4; not counting the headlights. They seem to make it a 5.
    Installation took 3.5 hours.
    One final note. The installer told me not to run the bi-Xenon headlights for 24 hours to allow the film on the headlights to cure. I almost didn't get home before it was dark.
    So far, so good. Should anything post-worthy occur going forward I'll drop a line.
  • The dealer here had it on their demo car and was recommending it to me if I purchased one. They didn't say who made it, but it was an obvious clear bra (car was red) that I saw immediately upon looking at the car. I'm sure it's worth it, but they wanted $650 to install it.
  • jortunojortuno Posts: 2
    I was told by one dealer in Long Island NY that the installation of the Clear Bra would take two full days, claiming they want the film to adhere properly. Is this the normal timeframe to install? I was wondering if some of you could share your opinions on this. - Thanks
    Mine was done one morning along with window tinting and picked it up in the afternoon. Depends on how much coverage you have - maybe they're just being over cautious.
    Z
  • jortunojortuno Posts: 2
    Thanks Z, The two days was for the following: Fender Wings, Hood and Front Bumper. To me two days to install these seems a bit long.
    I had those done plus the backs of both mirrors - I think they're being extra cautious. You might check to see how long they've been in business/experience level. Place I took mine does very high end cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc), so I figured they knew what they're doing.
    Z
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    We now have a choice of the traditional clear bra or Armorcoat paint protection which is a spray on clear coat. The advantage of the armorcoat is that the line at the edge of the hood is not noticeable and when anything hits the bumper or hood, it doesn't leave a mark or tear as it does with the clear bra. The cost is about the same for both. You can look it up on line to get more info and even see a video of it's application.
  • pluplu Posts: 1
    I just had mine installed today in BK, in boro park. I have a black BMW 3 series. I bought the front precut online from invisiblemask.com, bumper only, and had Audio Depot install their own bumper protector on the back. They claimed they used Llumar and that it has a clear coat, but there is a noticeable difference in the shine. The invisimask material i got from invisiblemask.com was much shinier and looked like it wasnt there, but the one they used was dull. Also, they didnt line up the kit too well, and left a couple of big bubbles. The cost of installation was $150 for the back, and $100 for the front. The kit was $150 from invisiblemask.com. There is another installer who seemed very professional at the Sunoco gas station on 65th st and 8th avenue, named Danny, and he guaranteed his work, but he charged $100 more and only used 3M, scotchguard. If i had known the Audio depot quality was so much worse, i would have gone with him. I am going to recommend my friend to him and see how that turns out. btw, Invisiblemask.com didnt respond to any emails or send my kit until i opened a dispute with American express, 1 week later.
  • I tried to work with these guys. They would not send me the complete order and would not talk to me on the phone. Had to dispute the order to get my money back. Very hard to work with. Use another product.
  • These guys would not complete the order and refused to talk to me on the phone. The rear bumper kit was not worth the money. The hardest internet store I have ever worked with. Go with someone else.
2»
This discussion has been closed.