Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra General Shopping Questions

2»

Comments

• ljl64ljl64 Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a used ('01-'05) Silverado 1500, extended cab, under 70K miles, hopefully for around $15K. I rarely will load the truck to capacity, and tow a small trailer ocassionally. I drive mostly flat terrain in NJ, no off-road. Is the 2WD and/or V6 under powered for this full size truck? Is the 4WD recommended? LT vs LS?

Anyone familiar with that range of years have suggestions on which years were better than others?

Thanks,
    Jack
  • I'm looking at a 2002 Silverado z71. The truck itself has 146,000 miles on it. It just recently had the engine and transmission replaced. Has anyone had trouble with this model in the future. I'm no car expert and i'm not sure if this is going to be worth it in the long run. I expect for be driving this truck for the next couple years and i'm only a kid. I do not want to buy a truck that is just going to stall out on me in the near future. Can anyone give me advice?
  • bigz04bigz04 Posts: 12
    Hey I have a 2004 Chevy Z71, basically they are the same truck, if the 2002 had the engine and transmission replaced you should be in pretty good shape, your main question to the seller should be who and when was this done? Make sure this was not done by some back yard mechanic. The only thing I've found to be a issue with these trucks is the speedometer not working all the time, my truck has been in 5 times to try to get fixed. Other than that they are great trucks. Chevy are the only Truck makers that have Full time 4x4. Most chevy trucks will go places in 2wd that other trucks like "Ford" need 4x4 for. A stock Chevy depending on engine get 18 mpg stock hwy. Good Luck
  • Alright thanks for the advice. Yea i'm going to have it looked at by a reliable mechanic first for sure.
  • I'm lookin at a 2003 GMC Sierra with 121200 miles on it. I took it for a test drive and it stalled twice on me. I look at the tach it it was idling low. Also the driver side window would now go all the way up and close tightly. I told the saleman about it and he said that they would repair the faults. It has a 5.3 vortec engine. Well deal or no deal?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Based on the history of the GMC Sierra I'd say your problems are just beginning. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. 121K miles is a bit high for a 5 year old truck. However, if they would sell you that truck for under $5K that might just work.
  • Tks obyone yeah I forgot to mention that it's been on the lot for over three months got to be something goin on there
  • spahutspahut Posts: 9
    A dealer in Kellogg, ID Dave Smith sells cars for $200 over invoice however the cars/trucks have no accessories. I am looking for a Silverado LTZ 1500. Is $200 over invoice and then buy the accessories (tubular assist steps, splash guards) worth it or can I get a better deal from another dealer who has what I am looking for with the items already on the truck?
  • branhapbranhap Posts: 10
    I'm guessing this is before rebates? If so that's a fair deal.

When you start adding dealer add-on accessories, it becomes a much different type of deal.

1. Deal for Truck
    2. Deal for accessory & installation separately It helps here, if you know what the price is of the accessory ahead of time and the installation time.
    3. Deal for Trade-in (if you have one)
    4. Deal for F*I stuff.

Personally, for accessories, I tend to get them aftermarket as it is cheaper. Then if I don't feel like doing the install, I'll take it to a local shop to do the install.

Paul
  • rifleriderifleride Posts: 1
    Looking at purchasing 2500 GMC 4X4, 6.0 with 4.10 ratio. What kind of gas mileage can I expect?
2»
This discussion has been closed.