Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Transmission Questions

Comments

• I have achance to buy a nice accent and it won't go into reverse , I am clueless, and I want the car but I don't want to change the tranny. I guess what i'm asking is is it worth it possibly, how would you knoe you havent seen it , oh it has 180000 on it but runs perfect, but no reverse , it has an inspection and a new one ???????
  • I didn't mention the car is a 1998 in years, just no reverse and it's an automatic...with 180,000...????? very curious , this car could be practically given to me and i really could use it, thank you for anyone's time!!!
  • With no reverse, the car would be difficult to park anywhere. The only way to fix it would be to replace the tranny. I wouldn't pay more then a few hundred bucks for this car if it runs good and be prepared to spend over $1000 to replace the tranny. In all honesty, I'd look elsewhere.
  • Thank you at least I know what to do , not get the car!!!, thanks again!
  • I always had stickshifts,but have a new accent hatchback automatic now.I am use to downshifting before braking.Will this be bad for an automatic transmission?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    The automatic downshifts... automatically, based on conditions.
  • Manually forcing a downshift won't hurt it, but really, all you need to do for better engine braking is click off the overdrive lockout switch. Please give us a new owner report in the Accent hatchback forum, basically tell us which model you got, how much you paid and what you like and don't like about your new ride. Few owners participate here so it would be nice to hear from a new owner. Hope to see you there!
  • I bought a new 2010 accent hatchback GS package.I paid $13014 before taxes.I bought the smallest car I could find that had the things I wanted. Parking is a problem in my area,but this car fits in spaces big car can't ! It's easy to handle and fun to drive(better than my grandson's remote control toy!),and economical too.As a trout fisherman all my life, the hatchback up serves as a canopy when eating lunch or putting on my hip boots. So far I have no complaints at all and hope it stays that way. p. s.,I bought the car in June 2010.
  • 2002 Accent automatic.

Problem just started today. Does not go into reverse. Hard shift and slipping when shifting into other gears while driving. Check engine light on.

What are the possible causes?

Thanks!
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Posts: 160
    edited January 2011
    These trannys were known to have these kind of issues, especially if the fluid wasn't changed often enough or the wrong fluid was used. The check engine light is on because the tranny computer threw a failure code to the main ecu. It sounds like your tranny is toast. The only way to fix it now is to rebuild or replace it.
  • My 1999 Accent has a check engine code stating a low voltage reading of my transmission range sensor. Where exactly is this sensor located?
    It is a Hyundai accent 1997 automatic

Every time I step on the breaks it seems as if the car has a stutter problem , at times when i push on the breaks just a little bit to slow down the car will stall out. It turns on just fine. It will also seem to get stuck in a higher gear. Example if I am going 60 mph the rpm will read 3-4 and just sit there, i can feel it in the pedal when it does that.
    to add to that when it is stuck in the high rpm it takes about 10 seconds after a stop to get going up to an actual speed.

The problem started out with it just stalling out every now and then but ONLY when i push on the breaks to stop or slow down , the rpm will shoot up and then usually stall out unless i push down on the gas a little.

Email if you have any idea what i should do or why my car does this. I am a single mom and this gets very scary when im driving with my son and it will stall out as i slow down and make a turn or anything like that.

breathingintune@hotmail.com
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I use to own late 80's and early 90's GM vehicles that had a similar problem with a 3 speed automatic. It was a solenoid switch in the transmission that locked up the torque convertor. It cost like $200 to fix (mostly labor) as the switch was inexpensive. I remember a mechanic telling me it's like riding a bicycle in 10th gear, coming to a stop and then trying to get going again without shifting the gear back to 1st. Good luck.
  • Hi,
    I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent, Automatic Transmission and it has been bucking a lot, AT fluid checked and it stopped briefly but it is doing it again. I have about 25600 miles on it and the fluid level is fine. Not sure if this is a sign the tranny is starting to go? The other day it would not shift up into the next gear and the RPM's kept revving high.
    I am under warranty but do not trust what the dealership will have to say. Does anyone have any knowledge of this happening to them? Thank you....
  • mooner73mooner73 Posts: 3
    i have a 2001 accent which will not let me turn the key back to the lock position unless i disconnect the battery. i think it may be the sensor that tells the compuetr the car is in park? I can shift the car into gear when the key is in the lock position. Am I on the right track and can this be done on my own?
  • @ shellybear0925 ...I recently bought a 2009 Hyundai Accent, and it was doing the same thing yours is doing. It would get stuck in 2nd gear. If I was driving, it would clonk, jump, and then not shift. I have had 2 trips to the dealer now, and they just replace a speed sensor on the transmission. I don't know if that is the cause, bc I just picked my car up today, however.....I will definitely let you know...bc it has been a headache for us...hope this helps!!
  • rebeccald1982rebeccald1982 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    ok. The transmission fluid is pooling on top of the transmission. It's having a hard time going into gear and sounds like it will rev up and up and up and not switch gears until there is a really hard shift. Fluid is not burnt. Finally drove it on the highway about 40 miles and it jerked really bad and was making loud noises. I had it towed home. Does anybody know whats wrong? also while driving the rpms will go way to high before the shift. Had a tranny rebuild about 50000 miles ago. i use the hyundai fluid also. was doing the jerking thing off and on then just went to all the time. no trouble codes or check engine light. overdrive stopped working.
  • also when it gets going faster then 40 or 50 mph it seems to loose speed
  • almcalmc Posts: 1
    Did you find out what the problem was as I'm having the same trouble now?