Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Olds Silhouette Engine and Transmission Problems

Comments

• I recently had my transmission rebuilt but it has not run correctly. Im taking it back because it skips and the rpm are really high.It might sound dumb but I don't remember what RPM the car runs at when the car is at 75,80, and 90 mph. Currently the car runs at 3000 RPM at 65-70 MPH, I can hear the engine somewhat forcing itself. If anyone could tell me I would appreciate it. Also I wanted to ask what should I do if they don't fix it right, maybe file a complaint with the BBB or take em to small claims.

I hope someone can help me.
  • The transmission should not run at 3000 rpm at 65-70. It should be much lower at that speed. My wife has the van today, otherwise I would take it out on the highway and give you the readings. It sounds like a botched repair job to me.
  • If you get a chance to check yourself for me, I would appreciate it...Hey theirs a 12 pack of beer in it for ya, lol. But seriously id appreciate it. I need to this car ready for a 1400 mile drive to Oklahoma at Christmas.
  • Okay, I'll do it for you just give me a couple days. My wife uses the silhouette, so I'll have to do it one night after work.
  • Thank You very much, let me know where to send the 6-pack.
  • brumpfbrumpf Posts: 14
    I pried the Silhouette away from my wife and here are the results:

50mph 1500rpm

60mph 1850rpm

Residing in New York City, I just didn't have the opportunity to get her up to 70mph. If my memory is correct, at 70-80mph, she was always around 2,200rpm.

PS. At these test speeds, there is no question about her being in overdrive.
  • Bro, I thank you with my friend. The 6 pack might take a few days but you have helped me a lot bro.
  • email me at losangelesman25@yahoo.com to send u some beer.
  • tawnymtawnym Posts: 9
    I recently put a new head gasket in my van. No head damage and it runs like a dream now. I was commenting to my dad how low the rpm's are on my van he said that's great. My 99 runs in town at 1200-1500, higher speeds it rmp's at 2000-2200. So I would say yes your van is most definitely running at too high of rpm's. Good luck and don't let them mess with you, if they say it's good and runs like that or refuse to fix it get a hold of the attorney general, they will fix it then.
  • So i took the Car back to the shop and the guy said it was fine, which i knew it wasn't. So now im gonna take it to an AAMCO and have them diagnose it and when they do find the problem I will file a Small Claims against the owner. My problem is that i don't have money to fix it again and get my money back from the shop. Im not sure how long law suites take since I need to drive to Oklahoma in December for Christmas. Hopefully I can get my car fixed.
  • I like to know if I can change the tran fluid, and not the filter, by just removing the hose, that goes to the add on tran cooler, to drain fluid and just add new fluid. The van has 125000 miles on it and never had a tran problem.
  • My mother owns a 1995 silhouette 3.8L It was recently ran with almost no oil at all. Needless to say, It picked up a rod bearing knock. after replacing all 6 sets, only one . . . the #2 cylinder spun a bearing. I loved being able to do the work while the engines still in the van............Anyhow ...I put it back together and started it up with oil & seafoam in it ......... It fired right up so I let it warm up about 10 min at idle. i barely touched the throttle and it fell on its face. If I fan the throttle I can bring it up to 3000 rpm , stumbling the whole way ............... Some insight would be greatly apreciated . Thank You
    Sinserly . . . . garagedwellar
  • ball13ball13 Posts: 1
    :mad: I have recently purchesed 2000 silhouette it is great except the transmission is getting on my nerve. fluid looks good but when it gets hot the hard shifting is unbearable. I see others have this problem but no real solutions , I love the van it is great but can someone please help?
  • whatodowhatodo Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 silhouette that we had just purchased. it's acceration is really slow in drive but not in reverse. I have been told 4 different things from 4 different shops. cadilac converter. transmission. 02 sensor, and the maf. sensor.
    You would think that at least two would have agreed on the same thing. Has anyone had this problem that could help me out. :confuse:

thanks
    whatodo
  • azuazu Posts: 84
    I've had van for about 2 months and drove close to 2K so far. Van has 126K. Shifting was flawless until 2 weeks ago. Got diagnosis and it is the torque converter hanging up causing a chuggle and at times a stall. Engine problems have been ruled out.Now it has turned into that hard shifting everyone talks about. With that last symptom is sounds like the Pressure Control Solenoid but I don't have any transmission noises. Any thoughts?
  • brumpfbrumpf Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 Silhouette Premier van purchased new with 103,000 and had the Pressure Control Solenoid replaced and eveything has been fine. It (pressure control solenoid) has been know to fail multiple times and unfortunatley you have to drop the engine to get at it. You have to have a good ear to detect the noise. I never had the chuggle. So that brings in a new twist. The hard shifting is the transmisions way of preventing any major damage. I hate to say it but I'd bring it into a GM shop because you can't trust these transmission repair places at all. I don't believe there is anything major wrong with your transmission, but it will cost your $6-700.00.
    I I agree with taking to dealer. In fact this van has been serviced solely by an olds dealer since new. I don't trust those tranny shops. They want to sell you a rebuilt when sometimes you don't need it. I believe it is the PCS. I'll just save up and have it done in a few months.
    Well it is undrivable at this time. You can go real slow but it won't go into 2nd without stalling out. At this point I do not think it is the PCS, but rather a break down of the torque converter and/or some clutches. It will sit until I have the funds to get it fix. Lucky me was informed last week that no salary increases and bonuses. That is a 17% pay cut. WOW!!
    I finally took the van to local Chevy dealer. I went in thinking tranny rebuild or at least the PCS. I figure they have seen a lot of these vans and would be better equiped to find any problems.Mechanic found problem in a matter of minutes. It was the crank sensor wiring harness melting on the rear exhaust manifold. That explains why it acted up when hot, when turning a corner and hitting bumps in the road. $360 later and I'm back on the road.
  • nphilnphil Posts: 2
    I want to replace the rear shocks on my 02 silhouette awd with self leveling. Is this a big job? How do I proceed?