Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford 3.8 head gasket, AXOD transmission failures Windstar Taurus Sable - Ford secret warranty?

Comments

• delgrossadelgrossa Member Posts: 2
    Our 1999 Windstar's transmission abruptly went out at 15,800 miles on August 9th. After moving a few feet in reverse and shifting into drive, there was no engagement in forward or reverse. We were in a remote part of central Pennsylvania, on vacation, and the van was towed ca. 50 mi. to State College Ford, the nearest dealer with a transmission technician. I was told the trans. needed replacement, it would be 2-3 weeks before a new trans. would arrive and that rental or loaner cars were not available through the dealership. Basically, I had no choice but to rent a full size car to get the family and our luggage about 200 mi. home to Maryland. The transmission is covered under the 3 yr/36K mi. bumper-bumper warranty (as it should be!) but the rental car is costing $270/wk.

My experience, as I've seen others post, is that Ford Customer service is worthless; the phone calls that I've made so far to them and Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg where the van was purchased have been a classic run-around. Has anyone had luck in getting Ford to assume incidental expenses? A catastrophic failure at 1 yr., <16K mi. is absurd; a 2-3 week delay in getting a replacement tranny ridiculous.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Did you have any clunking or warning signs before this happened --see my post #479-also a 3.8L engine. I fully agree--you should be reimbursed on the rental and provided with a loaner vehicle in MD.
  • delgrossadelgrossa Member Posts: 2
    There were no significant warning signs before failure - maybe a slight hesitation when upshifting, but nothing that I haven't routinely experienced with other vehicles; at any rate none of the clunking that you described in your post.
  • jeaniedearjeaniedear Member Posts: 1
    to GPM5

I had almost all the same exact problems with my
    98 windstar. The feeling that you're getting between the 1st and 2nd gear according to my dealer was the catalytic converter. There are no alarm signals either. My van is out of warranty now and 3 days after warranty, my transmission slipped and I was told by the same dealer I needed a new transmission sensor ($200.00)! I also had the side plastic panel break on the drivers seat, but was not aware that I could have them replace it, my fault there.
  • ilovefarmingilovefarming Member Posts: 17
    So far from what I have seen, and experienced, Ford refuses to reimburse for incidentals that the customer incurs when faced with a breakdown of the vehicle, due to Ford design flaws and errors. On a rare occasion, the cost of a rental car can slip through and get paid by Ford, but it is very few and far between. Their policy is that they will pay for the parts and labor, but not for the rental car while your car is in the shop. It just adds insult to injury, in my opinion. I think some have gotten reimbursed through the small claims court process, but that is the only consistent way.
  • mdshannonmdshannon Member Posts: 1
    It is a familiar story (as I can tell from earlier posts) but I need some advice on current problems.

All of the following have happened in the last three months:

1. Engine lights come on -- New oxygen sensor by Ford dealer

2. Engine overheats twice -- radiator flushed twice and checked by non Ford mechanic

3. I got extended warranty notice from Ford within same week of #2 above and immediately took it to dealer who diagnosed a head gasket failure. They replaced the gasket but would not reimburse me for prior work.

4. Now transmission shifts into neutral when the car comes to a stop. This happens about 25% of the time I stop. Sometimes it will jerk back into first and other times I have to shift into 2nd to move forward. Is this a bad transmission piston that others have mentioned?

Other problems
    1. Door light stays on. Particularly when rear door is opened and then closed.

2. Drivers side power window is stuck for the second time in a year.

3. Clunking sound going around corners. (CV joints?)

Anybody have thoughts (besides driving it into the ocean) on what to do about the transmission and other problems.

Help!

Thanks,
    Mary
  • estaleyestaley Member Posts: 7
    I, like many of you in this forum will NEVER buy another piece of ##%&@* Ford again. I have a '95 Windstar (bought in '97 from the local dealer). had transmission problems, sent it in 3 times, still clunks; I finally gave up. last week the dreaded head gasket problem (he says ford will cover the head gasket) and get this; simultaneously the AC quits cooling. The service guy tells me it's $340 for a low pressure switch and that the coolant had leaked out ??? Could this be remotely related to the head gasket - or just a coincidence. The other on-going problems with this piece of junk and my service guy's estimates to fix are:

- electric door locks go crazy (constant up & down) every time we get a heavy rain. solution: rear switch $165

- clunky transmission:
    solution: pcm power train control module, update flash rom - $170 labor (hah, do I really believe that's gonna fix it)

- right side mirror motor out
    solution: new motor $350

- recommends new serpentine belt and plug wires - $140

So my question is: does anyone think I have a chance for a buy-back or some other monetary compensation from Ford. The service guy says no - of course. The service manager is supposed to call me back re: my complaints sometime soon! thanks for all suggestions
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    The "buyback" is if you need a new engine and one can't be found in a week or so. However, if you do qualify for the "buy back" you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy another Ford. They won't buy it back otherwise. Your headgasket problem should be fixed under warranty, or, you can ask about the $3,000 certificate towards another Ford. I suppose you could consider the trade as part of the "buy back". Bottom line, if you are looking for any kind of compensation, you'll have to accept that there will be a Ford in your future.
    I don't see how that the 1st/2nd shifting could be related to the catalytic converter. I am not sure what a transmission sensor is--so no comment there. As for the plastic on the side of the seat, that also broke as part of the repair--and had to take it back to get it fixed --forgot to mention that.
    What is the deal on the extended warranty? The warranty on my '98 runs out in 3 months (time before miles). Is it possible to purchase an extended warranty from FORD if the present warrantly is in effect or is it too late. Who do you contact and what is the price?
    thanks for the reply. the dealer has agreed to a buyback plus a $3000 voucher towards a new ford (this seemed to easy to be true; i think they're swamped with head gaskets and tire recalls). i didn't realize that the two (buyback/voucher) were inseparable. i was hoping to dump the windstar and go buy something else - regardless of voucher. i have't seen the paperwork yet - only verbal. any word on the reliability of the new windstars - i can't believe i'm asking this %$#%$ !!
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    The best place to look for that information is in our Finance, Warranty and Insurance Conference.

Take a look at this topic - Ford Extended service plan (Topic #610) - I think the second post in it (there are only two) will be very helpful to you, and if you have any more questions, that would be a great place to ask them.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
    Pat, thanks much for the info.
  • lshtlsht Member Posts: 2
    My 95 Windstar got a rebuilt engine at 69000 miles and then 3 weeks later got a new transmission (fortunately I bought the extended warranty). Both times I was told that Ford will pay $50/day toward a rental car for major repairs and they did, they also picked up the tows.
    I'm real nervous after reading these posts as we also have a 96 Windstar with no extended coverage that is starting to use up antifreeze. Is Ford covering the 96's as well. What is the deal with the Ford buy backs and the $3000 vouchers. Is that only if you opt not to have the work done? I was never told of this, they actually had me keep driving my van for 2 weeks while they waited for the rebuilt to be sent. We're looking for new vehicles and this money would certainly help!
    Any info much appreciated!
    96 Windstars are not covered for headgasket or buyback. The buyback/$3,000 was announced in February of this year. If you required a new engine and one could not be obtained in a timely manner, they would offer to "buy back" your van at KBB "lower than dirt" value. If you needed head gaskets, they offered either to fix it, or give you a $3,000 certificate toward a new Ford vehicle. Since your 95 was fixed, I doubt that you qualify for the $3,000 - unless the gaskets blow again.
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    lsht: If you paid anything towards the engine replacement for the 95 you would qualify for the $4000 certificate.
  • rhondawrhondaw Member Posts: 1
    I need immediate help form someone who knows about the 95 windstar buyback. How do I get the details
    I have a 95 windstar that the dealership will "buy back" but they are not offering the $3000 incentive from Ford. Can someone please help me by posting a message"? Thanks.
    Here's a post from the Ford Windstar Problems II in the Vans Conference:

You have the case Kathy! The following is a press
    release from RUETERS - March 7, 2000:

========================

DEARBORN, Mich., March 7 (Reuters) - Ford Motor
    Co. , as part of a plan to fix potential head
    gasket problems on some cars and minivans, will
    buy the vehicle back in certain cases if a new
    engine cannot be found in a timely fashion, a
    spokesman confirmed on Tuesday.

Ford, the world's No. 2 automaker, announced last
    month that it extended the warranty on head
    gaskets in certain 3.8 liter V-6 engines to seven
    years or 100,000 miles. The head gasket is a
    central seal in the engine that can cause engine
    failure if it leaks.

There are about 700,000 vehicles affected. They
    are: 1994-95 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable sedans;
    1994 Continental large sedans; and 1995 Windstar
    minivans.

Technology
    Backspin: Tech Week in Review
    Queen Cashes In On Net
    Microsoft Playing Favorites?
    Chip Bugs Hobble Toshiba Laptops
    Iridium Hangs Up on Rower

If a failed head gasket causes engine damage,
    Ford will replace the engine. But if Ford cannot
    locate a re-manufactured engine within five days,
    the automaker will offer to buy back the vehicle
    for fair market value as well as issue a $3,000
    certificate toward the purchase of a new Ford,
    said spokesman Mike Vaughn.

Vaughn declined to say how much Ford would pay for
    the damaged vehicles. Based on a guide from the
    National Association of Automobile Dealers, the
    fair market repurchase offer ranges from $3,175
    for a 1994 Taurus GL to $8,375 for a 1995 Windstar
    LX.

If a head gasket fails during the extended
    warranty time period, owners will be eligible for
    repair refunds. Or they can choose to take a
    $4,000 certificate to be used for the purchase of a
    new Ford, Mercury or Lincoln vehicle.

Vaughn declined to say how much the program will
    cost Ford. A story in this week's Automotive News,
    an industry trade publication, said Ford could
    spend at least $200 million, making it one of the
    five largest warranty campaigns in the industry.

========================

Don't let the dealer play games with you...
    Tell them that you want to talk to the Ford
    Customer Service Representative for BOTH your
    servicing dealer and the dealer in PA (these are
    the Ford employees responsible for customer
    relations.

Educate yourself...
    Read the posts both in here and at cartrackers.com
    to get more information about how people have been
    treated during their "ordeal". The follwing
    postings outlines a buyback scenario from Kent25:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Vans&f=0&t=815&q=474-517
    Pay special attention to #493 for a link for the
    Ford CSRs to use to get more information about the
    process. Further, see link #515 for the economical
    advantage. The more you know, the better prepared
    you will be to work through the issues.

Work your best deal...
    Here is the latest that I have heard. You should
    be offered about $6650 for the van. In addition,
    there is the $3000 "Certificate" (for not having to
    pay for the repair). Plus any current rebates (I
    think there is currently a $1000 or $1500 rebate).
    Unfortunately, you have to buy another Ford,
    however, play your cards right and you'll be
    getting $10000+ off your negotiated price and you
    get a new warranted vehicle. If you keep it for
    two years (still under warranty, mind you) you
    should easily be able to get rid of it and get out
    of the Ford world.

Don't let your emotions get the best of you...
    Especially when working with the Ford CSRs. I
    know you had a lousy experience breaking down away
    from home (mine was with three kids 50 miles from
    home with a van full of camping equipment). That
    cannot be changed. You will always come out better
    being sweet like honey rather than bitter like
    vinegar.

Be patient!
    This issue will not be resolved overnight.

Best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted as to how
    you are dealt with and how the dealerships and Ford
    CSRs react.

GOOD LUCK!
    *** END OF POST ***

First, try contacting Ford "Customer Care" (oxymoron alert) and have them explain it to you. If there is more than one Ford dealer in your town, go there. I don't know your exact scenario, but if they are willing to "buy back" (don't expect top dollar for your van), then they should also offer the $3,000 towards another vehicle. Good Luck
    rhondaw et al, I have a '95 Windstar (currently in the shop with blown head gasket, clunky transmission, etc, see post # 492). With only two phone calls to my local Ford service dept, they have agreed to do a buy back for me. The best news is that it is not contingent on my buying a brand new Ford, plus, they throw in a $3000 voucher for a new Ford if I'm so inclined. Here's what I got from the service manager at Ford today.
    Ford currently has 3 options for solving the head gasket problem:

1:
    they will fix the problem for free.
    The drawback is that you still might have problems down the road; if not the head gaskets, then the tranny, electrical, etc.

2:
    they will replace the entire engine for free.
    this seems ok in theory, but they can't keep up with demand, and lead time is a few weeks (not workable) which is why they created option #3

3:
    they will buy back your car and give you a $3000 voucher towards a new Ford.
    I don't know if this voucher deal is everywhere; I think it is but just ask. If, like me, you are really unhappy with your vehicle and worried about all the other sub-system failures (see again post # 492), this seems to me to be the best option. you get out from under it and can make a fresh (Ford or non-Ford) start.

The service manager here (Crossroads Ford, Cary, NC) is processing my paperwork today and tells me that Ford will cut a check to my finance co. probably within 2 weeks. They're giving me $8300 which by the Edmund's calculator is right at the trade-in value - don't care, I'm taking it. Count my losses and move on. I think this is actually a good time to press Ford for your problems, because they are swamped with not only the head gasket issue, but also the exploding tires problem. In short, these guys just want these problems off their desks - I guess !! Opinions anyone??
    Maybe Rhonda needs to tow the van to NC! At the very least, check out another dealer.
    I agree, at least another dealer. My deal is all verbal so far. Fingers crossed, I'll let you know the outcome. My wife is pushing me to seriously consider a new Windstar, especially with the voucher. Need a new car now and the Honda Odyssey is not to be found quickly. Should I have my head examined ?? 8^)
  • dkflrobertsdkflroberts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Windstar that I bought from a dealership in 98. About six months ago, the head gasket blew. I didn't know at that time about the recall, and took the van to my private mechanic to fix. I'm wondering if there is any chance of getting reimbursed for this. While the van was in the shop, the mechanic told me that the transmission had already been replaced. Shortly after the repairs, the A/C went out, and the dealership quoted me $1400 to fix it. I said I would live without it. Now, the transmission is slipping. I have had more problems with this vehicle than any other I have ever owned. I am in the process of cleaning it up to sell right now, so I am hoping to be out of my misery soon. I know that I will never again be a Ford owner. Please reply with any suggestions about getting reimbursed for the repairs.
    While I personally won't "reward" Ford, a new Windstar could prove to be a finacially shrewd move - if you are willing to lease. I never could get Fords lease calculator to work properly, so I don't know their current rates, but I used the Chyrsler Financial calculator to come up with what I can only imagine would be a comparable rate.

If they are willing to give you $8,300 for your 95, plus the $3,000 certificate, plus the $1,500 rebate that is in place for 2000 Windstars, you should be able to get a Windstar SEL in the neighborhood of $160 per month for a 2 year lease. It would be under warranty the entire time, so if anything goes wrong, it's no money out of your pocket. There would be no need to get an extended warranty, and you could always budget as though you were making $500 payments and have a pretty decent down payment on a new vehicle 2 or 3 years down the road. Talk to your dealer about what he can do on a 2 or 3 year lease. They've also got .9% financing if you wanted to buy the thing, but you'd be looking at considerably higher payments, despite the low rate.

Anyhow, if your wife wants to give the new Windstar another try, that's how I'd do it. Good luck in whatever you do.

On a side note, you alluded earlier to the tire problems that Ford is dealing with. While I'm no fan of Ford, I think they are doing the right thing with the tires, even though they were guilty of nothing more than buying tires in a competitive market. Kudos to Ford for this, IMHO they are going above and beyond the call of duty. See...I'm a fair guy!
    From the headgasket repair? If so, make a copy and write to Ford, requesting the rebate. I've read so dog-gone many head gasket topics that my heads spinning, but I believe I have read where they had reimbursed people who had the repairs done at an independant mechanic. It never hurts to try. Good luck.
  • woody1000woody1000 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? I have a '96 Windstar and the head gasket is shot. I know that the '95 is "covered". What do people with a '96 do? Cry?

Richie Woods
    Seriously though, send copies of your receipts to Ford in Dearborn. Check the build date of your van. 1996 Windstars still have a higher than normal rate of headgasket complaints at the NHTSA. If yours is an early production model, it may well still have the "bad" gaskets.

If there is a Ford District office near you, talk to them about it. My personal opinion is WRITE, WRITE, WRITE...avoid the phone call mess. Very little is ever accomplished over the phone. Write to Bill Ford if you have to. But IMHO, companies take written complaints far more seriously than phonecalls or (heaven forbid) e-mails. Good luck
    pj, thanks for the advice. you mention $1500 rebate and .9% financing from Ford. where did you find that info (web page??) or is that something you're seeing advertised somewhere (is it just local or national). I really had to vent and rant and rave my first post on this subject, swearing I'd never buy another Ford, but I'm thinking seriously about it because of the financial incentives and the way the local service department has treated me (so far - fingers still crossed).
    re: your request for info on reimbursement for head gasket repairs, check out this post (pretty long) in the Vans List - Cracked head in '95 Windstar (Topic #111); post # 162

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?a=r&c=Vans&t=111
    It's on the Edmunds "incentives and rebates" section. Follow this link: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/Incentives.html

The Ford Credit site is rather useless for getting ideas, so you'd most likely be better off talking to your dealer about the options. It looks like you've got a $1500 rebate OR .9 financing for up to 36 months or 1.9% for 48 months. IMHO, your dealer is being very generous in his buyback price. I think the only catch is that you've got to take from dealers stock (but most dealers will FIND the car you want). Hope that helps.

I understand the need to vent - Lord knows I've done my share. I already bought a different vehicle to replace my "head gasket challenged" 93 T-Bird, and we're praying (see richie - I practice what I preach!) that the tranny holds up another 18 months before she trades the Windstar.
    thanks for the info (rebates, incentives) pj. this head gasket problem has a silver lining for me, re: discovering this wealth of info and opinions in the edmund's town hall. it's a new world these days for the consumer. i'm sure the dealers are trying to figure out how to keep ahead of this.
  • tk211tk211 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 98 Windstar brand new. After a while I noticed a "slamming" when i would press the gas after making turns. I took it to the garage before the 3yr/36,000 warranty was up. They couldn't duplicate the problem and implied it was the way i was driving the van. I'm now past my warranty and my windstar has been sitting at the ford garage for a week (with another week until its done) the torque converter and main valve body have been replaced - and it's still not working. I am trying to get ford to pay for it, since this was brought to their attention when it was under warranty.

my advice to you is not to ignore the "clunking", get it looked and drive around with the service tech. until you get it to do it while he is in the vehicle. that would have saved me alot of headaches.
  • scbaveryscbavery Member Posts: 2
    Last Friday I brought my 95 Windstar to the shop and found out on Mon that the engine was shot and I was offered the buyback program. Since then I've gotten nothing but the runaround. Can anyone tell me where the buyback money is coming from? The dealership is telling me it comes from Ford Motor Co. but FMC is telling me it's a deal between the dealership and customer. I'm concerned because they've told me it can take 4 - 6 weeks for the money to come in and meanwhile I'm still paying on the car! Has anyone had similar experiences or can someone give me some guidance as to how to resolve this? I can't get into a new car until I get the loan paid off and get that money.
    Thanks for any help!
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    The FORD buyback is FORD motor co. Tell the dealership you want the "buyback" deal you saw on the internet. My dealership had the deal done in less than 10 days. This included my vehicle being abandoned several states away. I had a new Windstar in less than a week. I signed over the FORD buyback check the dealership had within 10 days of my first contact. If you want the $3000 incentive to buy another FORD product talk to a salesperson. If they want the sale they will get the ball rolling quickly. E-MAIL me if you need more details. [email protected] Good Luck!
    Was your slamming on a regular basis? I've noticed a hard slamming on accelerating quickly and leaving off on the gas, probably a couple times. Another mechanic (not FORD) told me this is due to the sensor being 'fooled' from the rapid initial acceleration and information being sent to the tranny indicating that it should shift into 2nd right before you leave off on the accelerator. (I did not even know before that conversation that transmission shifting was being electronically controlled.) That's some pretty slow computer information in the vehicle, but if this is a problem with how one accelerates and leaves off on the gas then this is an INHERENT problem that can not be fixed. The lighter clunking on upshifting from 1st to 2nd may not be worth getting 'fixed', since this was the result of the 1st fix that cured the really bad clunking on downshifting from 2nd to 1st at low speeds. I just begin to think that the more one let's these FORD mechanics into the tranny the worse off one will be.
    I may have the direction of shifting mixed up for the clunking, but it used to be real bad (when the vehicle was new) on shifting in one direction and now after the repair is only slight happening for what feels like the opposite shifting.
  • tk211tk211 Member Posts: 3
    the transmission slamming would happen alot at the end. when it first started it was mild and infrequent- which is why i figured the service technician knew what he was talking about. its been at the ford garage for 2 weeks and they said "its better, but its still not fixed".
  • iokcgkiokcgk Member Posts: 1
    Got a question? Since having the engine replaced on my 95 windstar at fords expense the trany last year at my expense and the mass air sensor, after the engine was replaced we had the stalling problem cropped up this led to the rest of the repairs the engine still stalls. If you hold your foot on the brake and press (ie gun it quick) on the gas while in gear the engine lopes & surges and or will stalls. has anyone suffered with this or has a fix please help. I'm already $3k into this with no fix it also stalls on inclines, when parallel parking or when it feels like it but not when driving at any speed.
    Off hand it sounds like a vacuum leak.
  • dennisj2dennisj2 Member Posts: 1
    Well, my 1995 Windstar is setting in my driveway with the second blown head gasket. I read all of responses on this site today and went to the Ford dealer. I tried to see the service manager but he "was busy". Talked to his second in command and he was no help at all. He had never heard of the buyback program or the voucher deal. He gave me an 800 number for Ford. He said they might be able to help. Called the 800 number and they at least knew what I was talking about. But they said it was up to the dealer regarding the buyback program. They took my information and said someone from the dealer would call me.

This will be my second head gasket. The first was at 46,000 mi. The vehicle now has 111,000 miles on it. Am also on my third transmission. The first went at 41,000 mi and the second at 102,000 miles. Any thoughts on how I should proceed. Don't think I will get much assistance from Ford due to the milage.

I know I should have traded or sold the vehicle some time ago. I will after I get this head gasket repaired. And it will not be another Ford product.
    The headgaskets under 100,000 miles should have your costs reimbursed by FORD. The transmission problems are another matter. There are a few class action law suits that include the transmission problems. Look at blueovalnews.com for details or e-mail me and I will send you the ones I found during my info gathering. Also look under "townhall" vans section under windstar II. There are two windstar II posts and an archived post. All have useful info. Good luck!
  • rafyrafy Member Posts: 1
    I have already replaced the head gasket once under the recall and this was after we paid for it, before the recall notice reached us. Here is 10 months later and the head gasket has failed again know I have gas comming out of the manifold while the engine is running. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use this buyback program I was not told about this (of course) the first time. I'm planning on asking the dealer to buyback the yunk! in my garage what do you think Any one out there. Thanks!
  • mjlmjl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 96 Windstar from a dealer 2/2000 at 49000 miles. My transmission has always slipped, I have noticed a small leak of pink (transmission fluid) under the van, but my mechanic can not find a leak although fluid is low. I have a problem with a constant pull to the left even after alignments and wheel balancing, the left strut housing and plate has been replaced, everything in the van doors rattle and clunk, the thing is junk! Have I missed recalls? I am considering a 98 Windstar with 38000 miles, what should I know before buying?
  • barbiedollbarbiedoll Member Posts: 3
    We have a 93 taurus w/ 70K miles. Water pump was replaced last Spring. Head gasket just failed, so far Ford says, "94&95 only" although the cars appear to be mechanically identical. What gives?
    I'll let you know what happens. I took Ford to small claims court for the HG in my 93 Thunderbird back on August 4. The judge said he wanted to review the documentation further and that he would render a judgement via the mail. He's been out at a "judicial conference" for two weeks and I still haven't got the judgement. I'll post whether I win or lose. I wish I already knew, but I don't want to pressure the judge into a decision that might not be "favorable" to me :>)

If I win, I'll be glad to share my documentation with you (and anyone else who wants it). FWIW, the Ford rep told me as we were walking out of court that he felt I would win. THere is also a class action lawsuit that is being filed for any 3.8L engine victims, so if I lose in small claims, I will still go in as part of the class action.
  • trevor11trevor11 Member Posts: 1
    Please let us know how the judge rules, it will help many others get a positive responce from ford if you win. I would also like to know more on this class action law suit.
    Thanks
  • snowowlsnowowl Member Posts: 1
    My 3.8L Windstar, blew the headgasket back in May, the work was done by an independent shop, I was unaware of the recall (excuse me:-extended warranty. Three months later and less than 3000 miles the engine has failed because of the anti-freeze that leaked into the crankcase and galled the main bearings. My local Ford dealer says "so sorry" you only have 1,000 miles past the head job to claim any additional failure. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?
    Dealer is pulling your leg. Ask to see FORD program documents 00M09/00M10. My 95 Windstar had 10,000 miles on it after the headgasket repair when my engine blew. Hang in there you should be eligable for the "buyback" program 00M10. E-MAIL if you need more. Tell dealer you read about the buyback on internet as well as incentives.
  • jpankajpanka Member Posts: 2
    I need your help. My 95 Windstar is back at the dealer with a blown engine. Had head gasket done 2 years ago. I want the buy back option but my dealer is telling me this option only applies if I buy a new Ford. Has anyone received a check from Ford? Did you have to buy a new Ford or Lincoln Mercury as I'm being told. I have no confidence in Ford and feel the dealer is being less than cooperative. No talk of a loaner waiting for engine replacement. A woman at the Ford 800# named Stephanie told my wife we can absolutely receive a check from Ford to do whatever we please, yet two hours later the dealer calls and says I have to buy a new Ford. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Try another dealer. Look at post 504 in this topic - you'll see a case where the dealer said the buyback isn't contingent on a new Ford. Also, contact Stephanie one more time and request her to put what she said in a letter on Ford letterhead, then show this to the dealer. The dealer may be confused - the $3,000 incentive is for a new Ford, but if Ford corporate is telling you that the buyback isn't contingent, get something in writing to show to the dealer. Good Luck.
  • ekrzyckiekrzycki Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently in the process of ditching my $29k loaded Windstar LX. After having the usual first round of head gasket problems, Ford refunded my money without giving me the $4k option. Now they won't give me the $4k because they said I took the refund! I was given no choice! I want to ditch this P.O.C. before I get stuck with sinking more money into it. You'd think I could get decent money out of this thing ... but nooooo. It's reputation precedes it & I can only get 6500 for it. Is there any recourse against Ford for getting my $4k to use on another Ford (gasp!)? If not, this will be my fifth and final Ford.
This discussion has been closed.