Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Grinding Noises

2»

Comments

• Grinding is consistent when stopping. Does not get better or disappear after a few miles or many stops. Most noticeable when backing up because that is when road noise is less. I have examined rotors and no rust. Any other ideas? The noise is quite annoying.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Grinding is consistent when stopping. Does not get better or disappear after a few miles or many stops. Most noticeable when backing up because that is when road noise is less. I have examined rotors and no rust. Any other ideas? The noise is quite annoying.

Is the noise similar to the ABS noise?

Is the brake pedal pulsating when you hear the noise?

It could be as simple as bad ABS sensor or a disconnected wire, or the noise is not coming from the brakes, but something else.

You are under warranty. It is probably worth having Honda dealer check it out, rather than having us guess...
  • tandoritandori Posts: 5
    Did you ever discover the cause of the problem? We had the same symptoms on our NEW CRV 2010 after 1 month of owning it. The brakes were rusted/corroded/pitted. Car had less than 2000 miles on it. Many of the car parts were also rusted/corroded. We took it to an independent Mechanic who we trusted to find out what the problem was...the Mechanic asked if the car had been in a flood. Not to my knowledge...thought I was buying a "new" car. In any case, my advice to you is to take your car to an independent mechanic to find out the problems, then take it to the dealer and have them fix the source of the problem. Be sure to save the documentation from the visit in case you need to file a lemon law claim. One guy emailed me and told me he had to replace his brakes every 6 months. I am wondering about the quality of the materials that Honda is putting into their cars....
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    One guy emailed me and told me he had to replace his brakes every 6 months. I am wondering about the quality of the materials that Honda is putting into their cars....

If the 2007-up CR-V has same break set up as the 2002-2006, then caliper sliding pins have to be cleaned and lubricated at leat once a year in a snowey regions. Even if it does not snow where you live, it is not a bad idea to service your brakes once a year.

I highly doubt brakes had to be replaced every 6 months, but, where I live, Buffalo, NY, I service brakes on the CR-V in April, after winter, and in October, before winter sets. Servicing is not the same as replacement. Servicing involves taking the parts off and cleaning them, and them putting them back together with some Molykote-77.
  • Everyone: Honda recently settled a class action suit regarding their brakes:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/automobiles/index.html

So don't believe them when they tell you that the rusted brakes is your fault, which is their normal method of operation: blame the victum.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,991
    This seems to be a more direct link.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

2»