Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Transmission Problems

Comments

• Can either of you who have complained about transmission issues tell me if you have the 4 cylinger or the 6 cylinder model?
  • rmathews14rmathews14 Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems as well as many others. I bought mine on July 21, 2008 two weeks later on 8-11 I had to take it in because of the passenger side airbag light would be on when someone would be sitting in the passenger side. I have had it now for 22 months, it has just over 25k miles on it and today made 14 times that I have had to take it in for service because of the airbag and the transmission. I met with the Kia Motors district manager of the southern region today and was not impresssed. He said that the Sorentos do not go by weight like the Kia Sadona's, they go by your "hip structure". Those were his excact words. So if you don't have big hips, then the airbag won't work right. I took a drive with both the service manager and the district manager and they reclined the seat back while I was driving and then set it back up, when they did that the light came on saying that they airbag was off. The district manager then had the guy sit up off the seat to let the sensor reset and then it worked. I asked him if he expected me to have someone constintly watch the light and if it goes off because someone shiffted their weight and have them sit up off the seat while driving so that the sensor could reset, he said yes. THIS IS RIDICULES AND UNSAFE!!! The service department has yet to fix the problem because they say that's the way it works and they just flashed my transmission for the third time so we will see in another 5k miles if its fixed this time! Word to the wise, DON'T BUY KIA!!!! Their own service departments can't work on your car with out calling into a "tech line" which is all email based. If the internet goes down, they can't work! I will never purchase a Kia again!
  • gregk22gregk22 Posts: 1
    Ive had my 2011 sorento (EX v6) for 55 days and had similar issues so i have been back at the dealer 5 or 6 times. They tell me its the torque converter and thats its normal. theres nothing normal about it as it always feels like i am putting the brakes on. they also call it "engine braking" but my wife calls it a go cart. love the car but this is very disappointing. Been in contact with Kia including the *outhern regional office where i was finally referred to after no much happened. Big Kia is sending an engineer to the Dallas area tomorrow morning and they are going to check it out extensively. the service manager has been zero help but the tech who rode with me says its not right. Curious if you have had any luck. my wife is ready to send it back if they cannot/won't do anything.
  • hopefull1hopefull1 Posts: 1
    I have only had mine for almost 3 weeks and i'm getting terrible gas millage and have a big jolt every morning when I first start driving. I have to turn the car off then start all over. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow so they can look at it. I just hope it can be repaired. I'm truly concerned now that I have read all these postings about the 2011. I'm so upset.... I don't see where anyone has actually had their Sorento fixed.
  • csuf1csuf1 Posts: 8
    I bought my 2011 Kia Sorento LX(automatic)on 6/26/2010 and I love it. I hope you get yours fixed and that I don't have any problems. This is my first SUV and I love the style, ride, heated front seats, backup camera, backup warning, reclining rear seats, exterior paint(snow white pearl), interior cloth fabric, exterior mirrors w/turn signals, etc. Please keep me informed about your efforts to get yours repaired. Good luck.
  • sgopussgopus Posts: 7
    We got rid of our Kia Sorento, it started having electrical problems with the Traction control lights coming on and not shutting off, and other lights coming on and not shutting off, and the dealer said they couldn't resolve it, so we traded it for a Nissan, hope you guys have better luck with your Kias.
  • mudnermudner Posts: 1
    Purchased 2011 Sorento 4 cyl on 6/04. First week and tank of gas 25 mpg without any problems. Second week hard jolt and rpm ran pass 4K then it recovered. Called dealership and they said to drive it and they schedule an appointment for following week. Second tank of gas 18 mpg. Second hard jolt happened during hwy driving (in overdrive), I took it straight to the dealer.
    Dealer has been in contact with Big KIA for guidance. They were not allowed to tear into transmission. After having Sorento for 7 days the dealer called and said that they knew what the problem was , bad transmission production day. On that days' production, debris found in transmission chamber. Big KIA replacing with new tranmission.
    Car still at dealership (14+ days). Just checked status, trasmission on backorder.
  • csuf1csuf1 Posts: 8
    Did they give you a rental vehicle?
  • auyomanauyoman Posts: 5
    hello all, this is my first post here. i have been following tundra solutions but the 2011 kia sorento has won out over toyota highlander. has anyone had a complete loss of power mostly when coming out of a in town corner? the engine is not off but pushing the gas pedal does nothing for a couple of seconds, then it picks up and all is good. only 500 miles, but only 17 mpg around town and 23 on the road. what can i expect? thanks, sam
  • dknj1202dknj1202 Posts: 1
    I also got my Sorento on 6/4 and am loving it. However, I had to have it towed at 2 weeks due to problems with the starter. Was without a car for 2 days as they went back and forth with big KIA on it. I just don't think the car feels the same. What do you mean by big jolt? Kinda rumbly on start up?? Because this is happening to me too, and I feel like I am getting gas pretty often! I am in the car alot, but don't go any more than within a 30 mile range ... I just don't feel like I should have as many miles and probably need to track my mileage. Anyway, if you can clarify the jolt, I might have to get service ... I hope it's nothing because I do love this car.
  • scotladscotlad Posts: 1
    We have had a 2011 Kia since January. Have not had the jolt problem but gas mileage with the 4cyl has been terrible. The local dealer did replace the rear drive shaft due to a vibration issue and we just received a recall notice on the transaxle alignment. I hope this helps the mileage. Our last tank was only 21mpg in combined driving. We essentially love the car but hope our quality issues are behind us. :(
  • rick174rick174 Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 4cyl Sorento.....4000 miles....I too have experienced what I would describe as a "full shutdown" feeling ....I believe I was creating the situation by the way I drive...I brake with my left foot....If I am 'on' the brake pedal ( just touching it) at the same moment that I am accelerating the vehicle WILL NOT accelerate....My left foot must be completely off the brake otherwise the accelerator "shutsdown" so to speak....To test my theory I placed my foot on the brake and tried to accelerate...the transmission did not respond....Could be a built in safety thing....Good luck
  • jacquie49jacquie49 Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sorento that I bought in January. I love my SUV and all the features that came with it. I had noticed that my gas mileage had not been great the entire time I owned my car. Over a month ago I was working about 2 1/2 hrs from home when my car made a horrible noise and just stopped. The engine was still running but it wouldn't go anywhere. All I could hear was grinding. I put it in park and it started rolling backwards. I knew something was horribly wrong at that point. I called roadside assistance and they had to tow it to the nearest dealership. The next day they diagnosed the problem as being the intermediate shaft and the transmission. The intermediate shaft separated from the transmission. No one at Kia could figure out why this happened. The next day they said there was a recall. Two weeks later I received that recall notice in the mail...too little too late! Needless to say my car has been at the dealership for over 4 weeks with no end in sight. Nineteen of the parts to repair my brand new car are on back order. They expect the intermediate shaft to come in sometime in August but the transmission they are not sure about. They did provide me with a rental but it still isn't the same. I just want my car back. I live in TN and lemon law states that if the vehiche is out of service for more than 30 days then lemon law can be enforced, but I don't want to have to do that. I love my car! I just want it fixed. At the time my broke down mine was the only one in the state that they knew of. Now there are four others beside mine...all waiting on parts. So trust me when I say, Get your recall fixed!
  • Often, I have a large thunking noise when I first start my 2011 Kia Sorento EX-AWD 6 Cylinder. I thought it may have been the AC compressor kicking on but it still makes when there is no AC on. Did you find out what it is? It is very loud and disturbing.
  • I just experienced the same thing last week. I could not have explained the whole situaion better. One thing however, how did you get them to provide a rental car? The dealership told me, "it is not KIA's policy". Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you will find that most rental cars are a dealership policy vice the manufacturer's
  • gdoug12gdoug12 Posts: 1
    This loud bang also happens to my Wife's new Sorento on occasion. For example it happened twice last Saturday and never did it on Sunday, but it is loud enough to startle you. It sounded like a backfire but the whole vehicle jolted. Have you contacted the dealer about this yet?
  • I have a 2011 KIA Sorento that i purchased in June 2010. We had the vehicle about 2 weeks and a loud clunking started when you would crank the vehicle up. It has continued to clunk. Sometimes it will actually jump forward it will clunk so hard. I wish that was the only problem i had. It also has a motor vibration when i first crank it up in the mornings. The gas millage has decreased badly (i was actually only getting 12 mpgs at one point this week). About 4 weeks after purchase something in the rear end started grinding but it has not happened again. The newest addition now is the car is "surging", it feels like your patting the gas when i am doing nothing but pressing the gas. I have contacted my dealership and they are looking at my car. We have also spoken to the owner and he is supposed to be having an engier come out and take a look at it. He stated that if they could not get the vehicle fixed then they would get me another one. I love my car that is why we purchased it. I am worried that if i do get another vehicle that it will do the same things. I am not sure what to do but there is no other car that i really like as much as my Sorento. I just want my car fixed. Im not sure what i need to do but i am willing to get a lawyer involved if i need to. Im not sure if the lemon law protects us form this. But if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    if the dealership owner told you he would get you in another sorie if his service department couldnt fix your current one..then you are well ahead already...lets just hope he keeps his promise....or they fix the vehicle to your satisfaction first....
  • Drive my KIA far on a daily basis due to my job location....had my KIA Sorento since Jan 2010...in May the car would not turn on at all...it had to be towed to the dealership...apparently there was a loose cable which had to be tightened....come July my KIA turned off while in motion...No I did not put it in Neutral the car just shut off on its own...Luckily I was able to move to the side without getting hit. When I took it to the dealership it made a loud noise as if the car was on and I was taking the keys out and walking away....the car was OFF! KIA still in the shop they can't seem to duplicate what happened to me and say there is nothing else they can do they have done "everything" they can...better luck next time KIA....