Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Transmission Problems

Comments

• scotladscotlad Posts: 1
    We have had a 2011 Kia since January. Have not had the jolt problem but gas mileage with the 4cyl has been terrible. The local dealer did replace the rear drive shaft due to a vibration issue and we just received a recall notice on the transaxle alignment. I hope this helps the mileage. Our last tank was only 21mpg in combined driving. We essentially love the car but hope our quality issues are behind us. :(
  • rick174rick174 Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 4cyl Sorento.....4000 miles....I too have experienced what I would describe as a "full shutdown" feeling ....I believe I was creating the situation by the way I drive...I brake with my left foot....If I am 'on' the brake pedal ( just touching it) at the same moment that I am accelerating the vehicle WILL NOT accelerate....My left foot must be completely off the brake otherwise the accelerator "shutsdown" so to speak....To test my theory I placed my foot on the brake and tried to accelerate...the transmission did not respond....Could be a built in safety thing....Good luck
  • jacquie49jacquie49 Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Sorento that I bought in January. I love my SUV and all the features that came with it. I had noticed that my gas mileage had not been great the entire time I owned my car. Over a month ago I was working about 2 1/2 hrs from home when my car made a horrible noise and just stopped. The engine was still running but it wouldn't go anywhere. All I could hear was grinding. I put it in park and it started rolling backwards. I knew something was horribly wrong at that point. I called roadside assistance and they had to tow it to the nearest dealership. The next day they diagnosed the problem as being the intermediate shaft and the transmission. The intermediate shaft separated from the transmission. No one at Kia could figure out why this happened. The next day they said there was a recall. Two weeks later I received that recall notice in the mail...too little too late! Needless to say my car has been at the dealership for over 4 weeks with no end in sight. Nineteen of the parts to repair my brand new car are on back order. They expect the intermediate shaft to come in sometime in August but the transmission they are not sure about. They did provide me with a rental but it still isn't the same. I just want my car back. I live in TN and lemon law states that if the vehiche is out of service for more than 30 days then lemon law can be enforced, but I don't want to have to do that. I love my car! I just want it fixed. At the time my broke down mine was the only one in the state that they knew of. Now there are four others beside mine...all waiting on parts. So trust me when I say, Get your recall fixed!
  • Often, I have a large thunking noise when I first start my 2011 Kia Sorento EX-AWD 6 Cylinder. I thought it may have been the AC compressor kicking on but it still makes when there is no AC on. Did you find out what it is? It is very loud and disturbing.
  • I just experienced the same thing last week. I could not have explained the whole situaion better. One thing however, how did you get them to provide a rental car? The dealership told me, "it is not KIA's policy". Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you will find that most rental cars are a dealership policy vice the manufacturer's
  • gdoug12gdoug12 Posts: 1
    This loud bang also happens to my Wife's new Sorento on occasion. For example it happened twice last Saturday and never did it on Sunday, but it is loud enough to startle you. It sounded like a backfire but the whole vehicle jolted. Have you contacted the dealer about this yet?
  • I have a 2011 KIA Sorento that i purchased in June 2010. We had the vehicle about 2 weeks and a loud clunking started when you would crank the vehicle up. It has continued to clunk. Sometimes it will actually jump forward it will clunk so hard. I wish that was the only problem i had. It also has a motor vibration when i first crank it up in the mornings. The gas millage has decreased badly (i was actually only getting 12 mpgs at one point this week). About 4 weeks after purchase something in the rear end started grinding but it has not happened again. The newest addition now is the car is "surging", it feels like your patting the gas when i am doing nothing but pressing the gas. I have contacted my dealership and they are looking at my car. We have also spoken to the owner and he is supposed to be having an engier come out and take a look at it. He stated that if they could not get the vehicle fixed then they would get me another one. I love my car that is why we purchased it. I am worried that if i do get another vehicle that it will do the same things. I am not sure what to do but there is no other car that i really like as much as my Sorento. I just want my car fixed. Im not sure what i need to do but i am willing to get a lawyer involved if i need to. Im not sure if the lemon law protects us form this. But if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    if the dealership owner told you he would get you in another sorie if his service department couldnt fix your current one..then you are well ahead already...lets just hope he keeps his promise....or they fix the vehicle to your satisfaction first....
  • Drive my KIA far on a daily basis due to my job location....had my KIA Sorento since Jan 2010...in May the car would not turn on at all...it had to be towed to the dealership...apparently there was a loose cable which had to be tightened....come July my KIA turned off while in motion...No I did not put it in Neutral the car just shut off on its own...Luckily I was able to move to the side without getting hit. When I took it to the dealership it made a loud noise as if the car was on and I was taking the keys out and walking away....the car was OFF! KIA still in the shop they can't seem to duplicate what happened to me and say there is nothing else they can do they have done "everything" they can...better luck next time KIA....
  • Hello,

Thank you for this forum.
    I have a 2007 EX with 44,000 miles on it. There are a few questions I wondered if you could help out with (I've noticed the transmission thread, and don't know if this applies to me or not)

My car makes this whining type noise when accelerating and then switching gears, most times there is a delay between punching the gas and it catching in (remnant of a turbo charger type delay) There is a long post about tranny problems and that there is a service bulletin on the subject, but I cannot find that (any links would be awesome)

Issue 2 is this sound which I can only describe as kind of like a card in the spokes of a bicycle, kind of clicking noise. Out of frustration I lifted the hood and was trying to listen around and this big belt which goes around the frond seems to be the culprit or at least that general area. Any ideas on this, or is this something common.

My passenger seat frequently does not light up the passenger airbag light and this is with people of varying weights from 130lbs to well over 200lbs.

Last issue is gas mileage, no matter what is done (long trips, short trips, drive faster, drive really slow, it always says 27MPG and it really isn't getting anywhere near that) It's probably closer to 22 or 23 mpg.

The bottom running lights seem to go out a lot also.

I have searched these topics and I know that there are tranny issues and seat issues, but I can't find recalls or such on it (I'm so car dumb it's not even funny lol) also on the seat issue I see where people have had the bottom of the seat replaced, etc. I don't have much money at all and I have the main warranty which comes with the vehicle, also I have the oil changed at 3-4k miles.

Just looking for some insight into what to do. It seems to need brake pads also sigh... as they are squeaking, but dealers charge an arm and leg and I am not really sure what is covered in laymans terms.

Thanks for reading this and all of your help.
  • 2ps2ps Posts: 1
    2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 AWD purchased April 2010. Currently 6,000 miles. Loud thud in transmission when shifting at about 10 miles per hour but only when engine is cold (first thing in the morning). AC discharge issue as well. Tank filled up instead of draining under the car onto the ground. Ended up with a huge flood on the floor of my passenger front seat floor. Every time I turned left, water would spary everywhere! Was torn about making a repeat purchase of a Nissan Murano. Chose the Kia because of everything it offered, maintenance cost, and price. Regretting the purchase now as I do not have faith in the quality of the transmission.
  • Purchased in February 2010 (in Texas), KIA Sorento broke down out of state (Ft. Bragg, NC) Thanksgiving week 2010. KIA had vehicle towed to nearest dealer - A+. KIA provided rental immediately - A+. KIA Dealership reported transmission and driveshaft would need to be replaced. (Vehicle started but would not move and made grinding noise). KIA now states "We do not have a followback policy" meaning I'm supposed to pay for vehicle to be returned from near Ft. Bragg NC to where I reside in Texas - F. Any one know the law? I have owned 7 KIA's including this one, you would think KIA would reward such loyalty?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,417
    edited November 2010
    New one on me. Did you ask Kia where it says that in their warranty information in the owner's manual or wherever they provide it to owners?

You could contact the FTC and see if someone there knows how the warranty stuff under Magnuson-Moss works.

Ok, I just pulled up the 2010 warranty info from the Kia.com site and page 10 says any Kia dealer can perform warranty service. Similar language is on page 13. It's really hard to read it online and Flash is fighting me and not letting me save it to read the whole thing easily.

If they can't direct you to the language in the warranty, then you could mention that you'll have to contact the FTC for an investigation. That might get their attention. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Purchased KIA Sorento in FEB 2010 in Texas, drove from Texas to Ft. Bragg NC on 21 NOV 2010 and transmission broke. Car would start but not move. Only a grinding noise could be heard. KIA towed to nearest dealer and provided rental which I applaud, however, they are now saying it will take 30+ days to repair, due to supply and demand on transmissions, and I am supposed to pay for vehicle, once repaired, to be sent back to Texas. After purchasing 7 KIA's, you think KIA would show some appreciation back.
  • Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate you. Mike
  • I had a very similar thing just happen to my 2011 Sorento SX over christmas. I was experiencing the clunking and hard start ups. And then while I was out finishing my Christmas shopping I heard a loud squeal/grinding and the vehicle ceased and stopped a dead stop in a busy intersection. The entire engine ceased up. The dealership drained the oil and found an abundance of metal fragments. I am currently waiting for a new engine. I have less than a thousand miles on it and had it just about a month when this happened. It really is bringing doubts about the quality of Kia's vehicles.
  • I received my KIA back (with new transmission - drive shaft - splines, etc) on 30 DEC 2010. KIA did in fact pay for the vehicle to be shipped to Texas (my home state) from the break down location in North Carolina, but only after threatening an FTC complaint and providing the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA) complaint number. If KIA owners do NOT file an online complaint with the NHTSA, there will be no recall. The NHTSA is the agency responsible for same. It does not take long and I was contacted immediately by a Federal Engineer with additional questions. Happy New Year to all.
  • Website for complaints under NHTSA is www.safecar.gov
    Then go to "Vehicle Owners" and "File a Complaint".
  • Get that transmission checked. I bought my 2011 Sorento last January and the transmission went this past weekend. Needs a whole new transmission.
  • Thanks for the info mcdonald340. The trans in my 2011 KIA just went and I was over 300 miles from home. They provided me with the rental and hopefully they will have it fixed soon. I really do not need it shipped back to me as my son goes to school up there so we go and see him play hockey. Glad to hear they finally shipped it for you! I will contact the NHTSA with my problem as well. There is def an issue with the trans on this vehicle!
  • All, our KIA is now broken again. The Transmission is not fixed and the symptoms are as follows: you put the car in Drive and the vehicle does not move and only a grinding sound occurs, then you move the transmission shift up and down and after a few moments it generally goes into gear. I am pursuing the State of Texas Lemon Law at this point and have already sent the certified letter to KIA Motorcars of America and I'm filing another NHTSA complaint via "Safecar.gov". After 7 KIA's, I don't know if I want another one? Will depend on how they handle the Lemon Law Complaint. Buyer beware on KIA Sorento's. :lemon:
  • Thanks for the info. I am still waiting for mine to be fixed. I am supposed to have it back by Friday. I will look out for the problems you have mentioned. When did you buy yours? I was one of the first to purchase this model last January.
  • Purchased vehicle in February of 2010 in Texas. Just filed second National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration complaint. www.safecar.gov
    Good luck and I sincerely hope, for all KIA owners, you and others whom suffer from same mechanical problem, you find the time to file a complaint on the aforementioned web site as this is the ONLY way a recall will take place. Good luck to you and yours. :)
  • Yes I did file a complaint with the NHTSA. I am just glad I was going under 10mph when the trans went. I could have been on a major highway. I was over 300 miles from home when it happened.
  • www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov please take note of the website. This is the address for online complaint to the Federal Agency with the power and authority to force a recall. If anyone whom has a problem with their vehicle will file a complaint, then and only then, will a recall ensue. It only takes a couple of moments and you can also review other complaints on a particular vehicle pre or post purchase. Please file your complaints and thank you to those whom do. The life you save may be your own!
  • I got my Sorento back within a week of the transmission going. My husband drove it back from Massachusetts and so far so good. I was very happy with the service and attention I received. How are you making out with yours. I hope you get a speedy solution.
  • I also have a 05 sorento.. we have had noting but problems with it.. I bet in the last 6 years it has been in the shop.. 40 times,new batteries at 5,000 miles, wiring problems gas tank problems, a new transmission at 50,000 miles to a new exhaust at 60,000, now today we are blinkers dont work.. The best part is that fact that we live in WI and they gave us a car that was going to CA so every part we have to get cost more and more, This car was never made to be in the cold all the time and we also have freezing problems.. when ever we bring it in for a prob. the tec. describe the problem as something different for the transmission it was in for 6 different times before it just went out while we were driving so they had to fix it then..
  • After 6 and 1/2 weeks of being fixed for transmission problems, and the vehicle accelerating on its own, KIA states "We cant duplicate your concern." As soon as I got off the phone, I submitted all the info to an Lawyer Referal site. Hope to be represented by tomorrow. Will let you all know and please file claims, on ANY BROKEN VEHICLE, with the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. This is the only way a vehicle will be recalled by the US Government. It only takes a couple of moments and you could help save a life. Will keep you posted.
  • casskimmcasskimm Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Our First family vehicle has turned into a nightmare with a payment!" Driving in cruise control going abt 70 suddenly with no warning sounded like a bomb went off under the driver seat,Sorento stalled to nearly stopped and had no power,had to drive abt 20 mph on hwy to get home luckily was not far." This is what my husband said when he walked in from driving home from work!
    I am a stay at home mother of a 1yr old and the primary driver of this vehicle.Thank God it wasn't me and my daughter in the vehicle when this happened! As I am reading all these post I see many of them could have been a serious accident,not sure if KIA is just waiting for an accident before any action is taken to do something about this!!!!!! The KIA service department called the problem a pressure control solenoid valve,and would have to completely REPLACE the TRANSMISSION,it only took 3 days to replace BUT got it home and are experiencing a weird noise under the Sorento when going over bump, sharp turn, or just while driving sounds like something lifting and dropping back down sounds heavy! We are filing a claim into the Lemon Law with the BBB Auto Line. KIA Corp. contacted us and offered to pay a car payment for some compensation(sorry but thats not going to make me feel any safer traveling with my small child)The Dealer ship saying "this is the safest car on the road" is a joke.Corp also made the comment the Lemon Law doesn't apply unless the problem cant be fixed but we will see. We want OUT of this vehicle!!!So glad I found these post, The 2011 Sorento needs to be recalled before someones life is taken due to an un admittable prob. by KIA!