Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Term Reliability of Nissan Altima

124»

Comments

• Yesterday I bought a 2005 Nissan Altima S 2.5L with 93k mi on it. It felt beautiful when I test drove it the other day but once I took it away yesterday I noticed problems.

I am planning on taking it back to the local Used Nissan dealership today to ask them to fix things. Maybe I should take it to a good local mechanic first to be sure what I'm feeling is wrong is in fact wrong.

I have discovered that this car sat on the Used car lot for 5 months. That isn't a good sign, is it?

Problem 1 - It takes bumps VERY hard and I noticed they changed the front struts but that apparently wasn't enough?

Problem 2 - Half the time when I turn on the engine I have to keep the key pushed forward for 3 full seconds in order for it to start. I fear this is one of those "bad" QR25DE engines.

I fear my mother and I, two kind, innocent looking women, got scammed by a used car dealer who frankly made my skin crawl. He offered us absolutely no incentives or waurantees on this car.

What could be wrong with the car and what course of action should I take with the dealership? They've got a "father" dealership nearby who I'd rather deal with, where the car initially was traded in to.
  • troy123troy123 Posts: 1
    Every time I plan to post, I find that I am not a member or too lazy to sign up.. today I took the time to sign up so that I can post my comments.

I own a Nissan Altima 2000. and have been driving for the past 10 + years
    I got it new however from the beginning itself I had maintenance issues.

Every time I plan to get rid of it due to its high maintenance costs.. I am ending up keeping it.. cause each time I feel this is the last repair.. and the car should be good(since I got it new)I have currently around 110K miles.

I have had many issues. from intake manifold gasket replacements twice( costing around $800 each time); alternator; 02 sensors;AC compressor switch; gasket problems; Replacing radiator twice..

I feel this is the worst car on repairs
  • m_zm_z Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Different models were made at different times with varying quality control at that time so some were better built than others. It really depends so read the forum or other online forums to get a sense of "reliability" of the Nissan Altima.

I have a 2005 pre-owned Altima S w/auto which came with 20,001 miles on it.
    It had rust all over the engine compartment and the cabin seat bolts. Finally got a cleaning that cleaned up most of it or at least made it look better.
    I've gotten 2 extended warranties, the last is the final one and not worth a 3d due to the car's age.

Over the past 7-8 years, esp. within the past 2-3 months, repairs have been growing even though the car has ~75,000 miles on it :lemon:
    Vibration problems lead to replacement of suspension parts, new tires, new brakes, new steering wheel components, got confirmation upon replacing my rear fenders that car was previously involved in accident but didn't show up in Carfax when I bot the car (as Enterprise Rentacar, its previous owner, fixed it themselves shoddily and not reported) :mad:

Issues... you bet I have issues with MY Altima but most were, thank fully, covered by warranty except for wear and tear like the tires/brakes :cry:

I'm dealing with vibration issues now... winter is coming which means the fuel efficiency will DROP since the car's performance s@ck in Cold weather as the 23/27 city/hwy mpg I have (due to monitoring) drops to 18/23 city/hwy in cold weather esp. in the winter.

Get rid of the stock Continental Tires which, as many reviewers noted, S@CK. It has decent traction in warm weather but is lousy in cold weather and it wears down relatively easily!

Some people may not have problems with their cars while others do.
    Good luck!
  • gh81gh81 Posts: 1
    I've driven some good and bad cars over the years in terms of reliability, the best being a 3 series BMW, the worst being a 2003 Mercedes C Class (luckily it was a company car and not me paying the bills). When I purchased this car I was concerned about buying a car that would be reliable long term.

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (special edition) in July 2010 with 45k miles on the clock. As far as I understand it was one of the last Atimas to be made before the updated model was released. Currently it has 71k miles. I became somewhat worried about some of the problems and recalls that I heard about the 2.5 engine, but so far, so good. So far the only unexpected repairs have been a suspension component and a battery. It starts first time when it's -20C outside. I've spoken at length with several mechanics who have seen this model reach 200k miles, they were much more negative about the Sentra and early Rogue. I have a friend who brought the same model on the same day as me in 2010, his car has higher mileage than mine and has had one minor issue so far. I will report back if I have some major problems. When you look through forums you'll undoubtedly see people posting about lemon cars, all manufacturers will make them (some more than others), but based on my experience I would recommend the Altima. It's a great car, comfortable, quick, much more interesting than the equivalent Toyota, Mazda, Chevrolet, Ford etc etc.
  • nik12nik12 Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 Nissan Altima with 65k miles on it. I need to know if it is possible for this car to last the six years they want me to pay on it. It's a clean car but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. One owner. No accidents
  • nik12nik12 Posts: 2
    Any insight would be helpful. I drive about 50 miles to and from work every day.
  • My father bought my current car back in 2000 from a dealer with about 65k miles on it. It is now 2013, with 242k miles. It served him well and it's serving me well now too. The car hasn't given us problems except for wheel alignment and the factory alarm stopped working (it will occasionally override the installed alarm). It still has good power to it and I have no trouble keeping up with the flow of traffic, gets around 22mpg. I will be upgrading soon though just because of my commute and I need something with a better mpg. Overall, I loved the build and quality of the car.
124»