Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Engine Questions

Comments

• My wife & I bought a 2008 Accent that she...& I...are v. pleased with. I 'm astounded by how well the clutch & 5speed short throw transmission work so wonderfully together! Shifting & engaging the clutch is the 2nd smoothest I've ever experienced on cars that I've driven...just wonderful.

However, two things I note when reversing into the garage in which the driveway is at a fairly steep upward angle. First, the engine cuts out without warning if I let the rpms get a bit too low on the driveway. My wife notices this characteristic too. The rpms have to be quite low. Its not like I have to back up at 2500+rpms. Its just something to get used to. Also, some times I notice a smell...maybe a bit of clutch burn? As I said, I'm not over revving to keep the car from stalling. So I find this clutch(?) smell surprising. Might it just be the newness of the drivetrain?
  • g3minig3mini Posts: 4
    Hi
    I recently bought a new 2007 Accent 4 door automatic. I noticed that when I start accelerating from low speed or a stop, it sometimes seems to have a problem getting into gear - it's like a bit of a jerking feeling before it actually kicks in and accelerates. I don't know how else to describe it.
    Anyone else have this problem?
  • You didn't mention if you tromp on the gas or ease into the acceleration. Many cars hesitate before taking off if you tromp on the gas. But easing into the gas pedal(even if you floor the pedal after that), should allow the engine to return smoother acceleration results. When tromped, I even noticed hesitation on a VW GTI w/automatic dual clutch transmission which otherwise had stunning superlative performance.
  • I am having the same issue. When I accelerate aftering rounding a corner or something similar I get the jerking. On top of that, when I go to pass another vehicle sometimes my Accent doesn't shift into gear and just kind of redlines the tachometer. It normally isn't until I take my foot off of the gas that the car jerks (very hard) into gear. By that time any opportunity to pass a slow moving vehicle is gone. I sometimes drive on the DC beltway and having a vehicle that doesn't want to work properly could get you into an accident. I have recently taken my Accent in (for the 3rd time) to get looked at. The first visit with the mechanic resulted in them changing the oxygen sensor. They said it was faulty and that was the reason I was jerking. There was a TSP too that mentioned my symptoms that they fixed as well. The second visit might have been another oxygen sensor, but they did con me into the 30K service which they said should solve all of my problems. It didn't. Hopefully my problem will get solved this time around. I will keep you posted.
  • yeah, it sounds like you are having a similar issue to me, cammer6. i'm due for my 3 months check up soon and they are going to trouble shoot it then. it isn't happening as much as it was when i first started driving it, but it's still doing it. i know what you mean about the possibility of it causing an accident. you think you are going to accelerate quickly, as you should, but that hesitation could cause an accident if you don't get your speed up. i will mention the oxygen sensor to them if they say they don't know what it is etc.
    i wish buying a car was the same as anything else - you aren't happy, you can exchange it for another one that works properly!! ugh.
    thanks and do keep me posted!
  • i wouldn't say that i'm tromping on the gas but i know what you mean. this is normal acceleration when stepping on the gas.
  • I had the same problem with my 2000 accent. I had the oxygen sensor replaced and it ran smooth again. It will also do this if your car is miss firing and in need of a tune-up.
  • g3minig3mini Posts: 4
    thanks. i'll remember that when i go in for my 6 month and see what they say.
  • jcw3jcw3 Posts: 1
    Lately I've been having starting issues with my 2000 Hyundai Accent GL
    which always turns over on the first crank. One particular day last
    week, it started up right away until I shut the engine off at one of
    my routine stops for the day. Car would not start. Waited about
    15 minutes and tried again before it finally turned over like it normally
    does on the first try. Brought it to a reliable repair shop for a complete
    tuneup (wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter). Everything was working fine
    until the other day when I came to a traffic light stop and the engine
    just died and was unable to start the car again. Engine cranks, but
    won't turn over until about 15 minutes of rest. Hope someone has a
    answer for me. This car has been good for the past 8 years. Problem
    like this can be frustrating. THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
    COMING ON. Look forward to a response. JC
  • robert127robert127 Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Accent, quit running. Found had no fuel, replaced pump, now have fuel and good spark... still won't fire. Any suggestions?
  • mncarmncar Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2004 Accent with only 13k on the odometer.
    The maintenance schedule states the timing best needs to be replaced at four years or 60k miles. After just purchasing the car, it seems ridicules that I would have to change a timing belt on a car which has only 13k miles.
  • vlbrooksvlbrooks Posts: 4
    MY new 08 accent seems to tach very high although I am not yet very familiar with the car. I will cruise in 5th. and the tach will be at 3K. Doesnt this seem quite high for overdrive. Maybe these small engines are all this way? Any comments about your experiences? thanks vince
  • I am hoping some one knows the correct cold weather starting procedure (below 0) for a 2003 Hyundai accent? My grown daughter more often then not floods her accent everytime the temp drops below 0, then she calls me. I live 100 miles away, so it is tough for me to go rescue her. After a few hours of sitting, it always seems to start for her. I have had some cars where it was ok to hold the gas pedal part way down (but NOT pump) when it did not start without touching the pedal. Any advice I can pass along to my daughter would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks much...
  • Sounds like either your Crank Positioning Sensor or your Cam Shaft Sensor...

Both can come at a hefty price, I'd try the CPS first. Sometimes, the part will come with the manual to put it in - it's rather easy to do.

Eventually, if it is the CPS or the CSS, your car won't start anymore. It'll continue to crank but won't fire. Good luck!
  • fitdcfitdc Posts: 9
    Anybody have any pro/cons re various ram air intakes for the Accent?
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    Pcv valve, accent, dohc
    96-02 $11.38

Pcv valve, accent, sohc
    96-02 $12.77 Which is the right pcv valve for my car
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    That depends on whether you have the SOHC engine or the DOHC engine.
    what does the SOHC MEAN AND THE DOHC ITS SOUNDS LIKE single overhead cam on one?
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    SOHC=single overhead cam
    DOHC=dual overhead cam

Probably labeled on the valve cover. I would suspect that most Accents were SOHC.
    in any case will the PVC be different from a SOHC as to a DOHC engine?