Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Camry is right for me?

2»

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I'd personally go with the 4-cylinder. It's got plenty of power, based on my experience with two Camrys from the prior generation. Try before you buy though.
  • Ok, I'll have to test drive it. Thanks.
  • chuck28chuck28 Posts: 259
    Hello Dwayne, in all due respect I think you are leading people on. I know you have been pro Toyota since I have been reading your post.
    The fact of the matter is that you cannot just go and test drive a Camry and know if it has the problem?
    The car has to be sitting for a long enough period of time maybe 8 hours to notice the flare and it might not happen everytime you start off.
    Most test drives are not done from a cold start seeing someone usally drives up the car for you before your test drive.
    I think you are trying to sell cars?
    Merry Christmas!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, I think if our friend Dwayne were really trying to "sell cars", he wouldn't be posting so frequently about his, um, over-enthusiastic maintenance schedule! ;)

I think your point is that we should hear from those who have actually experienced the flare on whether a test drive will show the problem - makes sense to me. :)
    Hello Pat, I can't agree with your answers. First of all I think it was mentioned in a recent post and something I agree with is that dealerships make more money off the servicing of a car than the sale it's self.
    I also don't understand your answer to the point that a test drive would not determine if the car has the flare problem. If you test drive a car and it does not flare does not mean it does not have the problem. My car only flared once in the morning and once in the evening. Point was the car has to come off a cold start and the flare cannot usually be repeated until the next cold start.
    Most test drives don't take place with a cold start.
    Anyhow, Merry Christmas!
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Chuck28:
    I am not pro Toyota! The only reasons why I own a Toyota Camry today are as follows: 1.) The Honda Accord seating quality was killing my body.---- and ---- 2.) I could not get an "in stock" Buick or Chevrolet Impala, (in New Jersey), with the required color & trim package. The Toyota Camry was third on the list of desired vehicles. I wanted to purchase an American brand name in place of my Honda Accord. Yes, ---- I earn my living in sales, but I do not sell Toyotas.
    From what I have been reading about this problem, the "flare" is just part of the issue. Some owners are commenting about the "shift pattern" when accelerating onto a highway, or quick acceleration / braking issues in passing situations.
    SUGGESTION:
    If you truly want to purchase a new Camry. Go to a Toyota dealer and discuss your concerns about the "flare issue" with the sales person at the dealership. Tell him / her that you will purchase the vehicle if it does not have the problem! --Select a vehicle that you want to purchase from their new vehicle holding lot. Ask for a set of dealer plates, and take that vehicle for a ride! If is does not have the problem, you have just bought yourself a new vehicle. When I purchased my Camry, I took a test ride on the vehicle that I was purchasing. YES, it was a cold start of the vehicle!
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi Chuck. I don't think you understood my post. I was supporting your post except for the fact that you said Dwayne was trying to sell cars. I do not believe that. Otherwise I was just suggesting that someone who has experienced the flare issue would be the most helpful in telling us how to determine whether a particular car has it.

I did not say anywhere that a test drive would (or would not) determine if the car has the flare problem. Read it again. :)

Pat
    Hello Pat, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I think the bottom line is that there are cars with these problems but Toyota has not come out publicly to tell us they have a problem nor have they told us they don't have the problem.
    I can assure you they have a problem. Atleast my 07 v-6 Camry does.
    I said it before Buyer Beware!!!

Merry Christmas!!! Chuck
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Chuck, I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. If you are dissatisfied with your Camry go to arbitration and have them buy it back. Plain and simple.
    Yes, I do sell Toyotas and also drive what I sell. I've owned three Camrys and would buy another one in a heartbeat, even without test driving to check for the so called "flare". This flare is nothing but the transmission shifting quickly into the next gear.
    Mackabee
  • Potential buyers of the Toyota 3.5L V6 (found in the Sienna, Avalon and Camry) need be aware of the high repair costs that are associated with this engine.

On page 9 of the factory service manual, it states the instructions for water pump removal.

Replacing the water pump on the Toyota 3.5L V6 require engine and transaxle removal!

For those of us who plan to keep this vehicle for as long as possible (200k+), it's very likely that we'll have to replace the water pump at least once. With this design, replacing the water pump is likely to be very, very expensive, possibly at least twice the amount it costs to replace the timing belt and water pump on a Honda 3.5L V6.

This is something that potential buyers of the Toyota 3.5L V6 need to keep in mind.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning sodaguy:
    Thank you for sharing this information with regards to the water pump on the 3.5 V6 Toyota engine. Because of issues like this, I always purchase a 6 year / 100,000 miles / top of the line manufacturers extended warranty when I purchase a new vehicle. I easily put on 20,000 miles a year, so in five years, (or sooner), I will have 100,000 miles. During that period of time & mileage, I expect to replace a water pump, alternator, and / or an A/C compressor. I guess the water pump repair will pay for the total cost of the extended warranty! I will not own this vehicle past 100,000 miles. Vehicles without an extended warranty are just too expensive to repair!
    When I owned the 2003 Honda Accord, the vehicle was great untill it hit 50,000 miles. Between 50,000 miles and 80,000 + miles, the Honda extended warranty put $3,300.00 worth of repairs into the vehicle. The A/C compressor was $1,000.00 dollars.
    Best regards & Happy Holidays! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Hi All,

I will greatly appreciate your advice/coments on helping me decide to buy my next car after I had an accident.

I have to decide on these two cars as my 02 Camry was declared a total loss.

Camry 03 has 36600 miles - Desert Sand
    Camry 05 has 60000 miles - Sky Blue Pearl

Both the cars have these options and are certified from toyota (3mo/3000 mile bumber-bumber, 7yr/100000 mile power train).

Certified Vehicle
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Remote Trunk Release
    Cruise Control
    Tachometer
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette Player
    CD Changer
    Tinted Glass
    Additional Power Outlet(s)
    Air Conditioning
    Climate Control - Auto
    Heated Front Seats
    Heated Seats
    Power Driver Seat
    Power Passenger Seat
    Arm Rest - Rear
    Center Arm Rest
    Leather Seats
    Map Pockets
    5 Passenger Seating
    Roof - Power Moon
    Power Mirrors
    Mirrors-w Turn Signals
    Body Side Molding
    Fog Lights
    Compass
    Console
    Sunglass Holders
    Cup Holders
    Trip Odometer -Dual
    Reading Lights
    Clock
    Air Bag - Driver
    Air Bag - Passenger
    Air Bags - Head
    Air Bags - Side
    Rear Shoulder Harness
    Traction Control
    Power Steering
    Power Brakes
    Front Disc Brakes
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Front Wheel Drive
    Rear Disc Brakes
    Intermittent Wipers
    Rear Defrost
    Homelink
    Window Locks

I am in a delimma on the color vs power train warranty for 03 and 05. I do not drive much to work and expect to put around 5000 miles per year. Would buying the 03 be a good decision ?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Rajeev.
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    well... its hard to make a decision based on the info provided. for example, there are no prices, so if the 03 cost 200.00 and the 05 13,000.00 I think id take the 03, lol.... We cant help you till we know what you're going to pay, and overall condition of the 2 cars. BTW, i just purchased an 03 with 38,000 miles on it. LE 4 cyl Auto for 11,000.00 I love it, go look under camry mpg, I'm getting great gas mileage.

p.s. Give us the rest of the info and we'll help ypu...thx
    caaz
    I do own an 06 Sienna in mint condition, has 19,000 miles on it. I'm glad you mentioned the water pump cost, i'll be sure and add water pump lubricant by prestone, as well as frequent antifreeze changes. That should take care of the risk associated with the water pump repair.

thx for the alert
    Caaz
  • Hi,

The 03 and 05 camry Out the door price offer is $16500. The 03 is Certified and 05 can also be certified per the dealer. Also both are V6 Engines.

Should I be concerned that 03 Camry is already 5 years old and with certification I get only another 2 years PT warranty compared to 05 for which I will get another 4 years PT warranty.

Will appreciate any further comments.

Thanks,
    Rajeev.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    IMO, I say take the '05. There's no warranty left on the '05 unless it's a Certified. Even though the '05 has a lot of miles, it will level of after a couple years because you only drive 5k/year. (May be you can ask the dealer to certify the car for free?)

For '03: if the original owner bought the '03 in mid 2002, the car is almost 6 years old, so, you only have warranty for a little over a year on the powertrain.

Personally, I rather get a brand new BASE Camry for a little more $$.
    Thats alot of money for either car... My 03 i just purchased has only 39,000 miles... I paid 11,000.00 I think you can do much better. Ive seen New advertised for 16,999.00

Good Luck

Caaz
  • Hi Caaz,

Thanks for the reply. The 03 has heated leather seats, moon roof, Front/Side and Rear airbags, Traction Control (Vehicle Skid Control) etc among the features I listed above. Also it is a V6 XLE Engine.

Do you think with all these features the price is too much.

Thanks,
    Rajeev.
    If I may chime in, I think considering all of the features and the fact that the car is certified, the price is not too far out of line. That $16,999 price for a new one is undoubtedly for the base 4-cylinder model, possibly with a manual transmission.

If I had to choose between the two used cars you've mentioned, I'd go with the '05, if the features are the same as well as the condition of the cars.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I think considering all of the features and the fact that the car is certified, the price is not too far out of line.

I have to agree. 16.5K OTD = 15K +TTL. There's a small room to negotiate (1 to 1.5K lower at most) but not that much. There's almost no way you can get this for 11K unless it used to have major damages. 11K is for a base LE.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

The 05 color is Sky Blue Pearl. The 03 color is Sand.
    Is Sky Blue Pearl a popular color ? Will I be able to resell it later on ?

That is one of the reason I am leaning to buy the 03 Camry - Popular Color and Low miles.

Thanks much,
    Rajeev.
    Id tellem 15500 OTD...and hold firm....January is the single WORST month for car sales... they'll deal if its near the end of the month.

I'll tell you what a good deal was... Last yr i purchased my Sienna LE....package #4 with traction and stability control... Desert Sant... nice champagne color.... 22,800.00
    was in Jan also.. a very dead month for car sales

Good Luck, Caaz

p.s. Id take the 03 with less miles, you'll sell it for more later
    As for color, preferences are highly personal of course. I love blues on cars, and blue happens to be popular right now. The light blue on the Camry may be a little too light though. On the other hand, I don't like beige/tan/sand at all, but it is a popular Camry color.

I'd still lean toward the '05 because your low mileage driving means the warranty would last for 4 more years.
2»
This discussion has been closed.