Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

2»

Comments

• jagtnjagtn Member Posts: 3
    I will be leasing a 2008 Jaguar S-Type 4.2. I will be doing a 36 month lease. Mileage can be 10,000/year. Can you tell me what the corresponding residual and money factors are? Is there any other cash available (other than the $2,200 you mentioned)? Thanks
  • misterjimmisterjim Member Posts: 9
    Lots of good deals out there on this car right now have me thinking of a 2 year lease for $500/mo. I'm getting tired of the German performance cars all looking alike these days, and think this would be a nice compliment to my Mini Cooper S. There seems to be very little information on the recent productions, though clearly many folks have not found the older ones to be as relaible.

What are you're impressions of this car - especially if you have an 07 V6?

Thanks!
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    The S type is one car I would stay away from. 1) fit and finish is not up to Jag quality.
    2) it is going to be discontinued b/c of slow sales, which means you should be able to find a terrific deal.
    3)the new model which replaces it comes out early next year if everything goes according to planned.

I guess my biggest complaint is that Jaguar has always been known for manufacturing cars that are well appointed on the interior, clean layout, a quality feeling, and there are way too many parts used from Ford vehicles on this car. It might as well be a ford, with a slightly prettier face. If I were you I might consider a used XJR, you will find that the quality is totally superior. If you don't want that it will be easy to find an XJ model for well under 50 K if you negotiate it appropriately..
    My local Orange County, CA dealer is advertising a S-Type 3.0 base model at $499/mo, 24 mo, $5k driveoff lease with 10,500 miles per year. Not clear if the cost of the car has been reduced to get to these figures. The payment is reasonable, but the driveoffs seem pretty high for just a 2 year lease. Presumably to get to these numbers, they've accounted for the $4k of lease incentives you mention - though I see nothing about that on the Edmunds website currently.

Any idea on the money factors they're using or if I'm missing something? How much lower can I get them to go down?
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    you are being hosed 499 seems high for this car.

1) Contact Bauer Jag ask them how many S types thhey have in stock and tell them you want to lease. I used them to get the price of my local jag dealer to come down on an xj model 5000 dollars.

2) are you sure you want this car
    a) fit and finish suck (to put it mildly)
    b) this is a glamorized ford with Ford reliability
    c) this model can't be moved fast enough, it will be discontinued by early 08.
    d) slow sales have contributed to its demise.

3) If you really want a jag, which will be trouble free may I suggest a used XJ model no older than the 04 model year.

reliability is improved, it is jag quality, and these cars can be found on the cheap, with low mileage and a decent waranty.

Consider yourself warned about the potential problem of the S type.
    Wow - i recognize that when you get this car, you're taking your chances, but after owning Audis and BMWs for 8 years, not being inspired by the design and/or performance of the Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc, it seems worthwhile to take a serious look at this car. The 2007 models share many of the same components inside, still turn heads, and have above average performance in a luxury car.

I don't mind the fact the car doesn't have a lot of company on the road...these days I can't tell a BMW from a Honda
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi misterjim. $5,000 is too much money to pay at lease signing. It has to include a significant capitalized cost reduction. I always advise consumers against making large cap cost reductions on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You would be much better off going with no cap cost reduction on this lease.

As far as Jaguar's current lease program for this model goes, if you were to lease a 2007 S-Type 3.0 through Jaguar Credit right now for 24 months with 10,500 miles per year its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00024 and 50%, respectively. As I mentioned earlier, Jaguar is providing $4,500 lease cash on this model.

It's difficult for me to say how much less you will be able to get this car for without knowing its selling price. Negotiate as low a selling price as you can on the car that you want and then have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using the aforementioned lease program. I personally would shoot for a capitalized cost of $3,500 to $4,000 below invoice (using the lease cash) and see what happens.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
  • scotsman3scotsman3 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea as to deals offered on leasing a new 2008 S-Type?
  • rearwingrearwing Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a clean 2003 S Type R with 74k. Loaded with all the bells and whistles, Nav, 450W sound, etc. $15,300.
  • blonddie66blonddie66 Member Posts: 7
    I love my 2002 S type. I bought it almost 4 years ago and now it has 103,000 miles. Previously I drove 4X4 SUVs so I drive my Jag hard. I had owned Jags in the early 90's and they were horrible. Ford did a nice job and the best deal is that most of the parts are Ford parts and cheaper to buy. I've had a few minor problems like a couple cracked vaccum lines (easy fix). I needed my first tune up at 100,000 (normal) and replaced 1 bad coil pack. Make sure a Jag mechanic performs the tune-up. It's pricey, about $1100.
    By mistake my mechanic did the tune up and reversed the vaccum and air lines and blew a rod in the block. I bought a used Le Sabre block for $400 and swapped the heads. All the engine blocks are Ford, but the head are Jaguar. A complete "Jaguar" engine would have been over $3000.
    The S type body style is a classic. I still get so many compliments what a beautiful car my S Type is after being on the road for 5 years.
  • oscarlettoscarlett Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your honest comments..I'm looking and still can't see the difference of a regular SType vs the SType R...I'm looking for low mileage and can't believe your first tuneup was at 100,000....how's the AC working for you? What year would you get (used) if you decided to move up from the 2003??? Thanks for any imput...
  • hygarhygar Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2006 S type. It is black, but I don't know if it is ebony or midnight. The dealer said to look under the hood and it would say, but I can't find anything there. I need the name for the correct touch up pen from Jaguar. Had it 2 months and love the car in every way! Fell in love with the classic style in the 60's and the current s type form 2000 on. It will be a permanent member of our family. Thank you if anyone knows where I can find the color name. Just not sure if it is ebony or midnight.
  • 208208 Member Posts: 3
    Any Jaguar dealership can look up the color in the warranty database based on the last 6 digits of your vin.
This discussion has been closed.