Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• thanks Car_man.

I ended up leasing the 2005 V8 with 51K miles. I negotiated the sale price from $30K down to $27.5K. I did evaluate against a new car lease and there was a sizeable diff - new car V6 was $750/month vs. used car v8 was $490/month. I am happy with my purchase.

Thanks for your help.
  • luchtlucht Posts: 2
    I am coming to the end of 42 month lease on my S type. This is my second S Type that I have leased. I understand that the past 2 years have been terrible for S type sales and it is likely that the car will no longer be made after 2008. I would have thought I would have gotten in the mail some type of incentive or promotion to continue with a new lease. Are they doing anything special ? Has the value of the car gone done ?

Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    You're very welcome, time2change. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi lucht. Jaguar currently has some very attractive lease money factors and a ton of lease cash on the 2007 S-Type. The problem with leasing one is its residual values are terrible. If you tell me exactly which model you want, how long you want to lease it for, and what mileage allowance you need I would be happy to give you the specifics of its new lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • luchtlucht Posts: 2
    Probably a loaded 3.0 36 to 42 months. 10,000 to 12,500 miles a year. Does this help ?

Thanks
    Thanks for the additional information, lucht. Jaguar Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jaguar S-Type 3.0L with 12,000 miles per year are .00059 and 42%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00089 and 35%. If you were to lease with only 10,000 miles per year, this car's residual values would be 1% higher. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $5,000 lease cash that Jaguar is providing on the '07 S-Type 3.0 into account. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rtjgolfrtjgolf Posts: 2
    I want 1st say THANKS to carman and others for the help when looking for new autos!

Can you let me know:
    1. any incentives/kickbacks going on the 2007 or 2008 4.2's and R's right now?
    2. any special lease offers on the same in terms of money factor and residual

i'll do my best to get the cap cost down!

tx again in advance

rtj
  • billjagbilljag Posts: 2
    The cost for this 24 month lease seems quite high, however we have never leased a car before. Should we be receiving a discount for the pre-payment? We are asking for only 10,500 miles per year allowance. What other things should we do to try and lower the cost.

Total cost is $22,300. Does this sound fair?

Thanks
    You're very welcome, rtjgolf. Jaguar is currently providing a $4,500 cash incentive on leases of 2007 S-Types through Jaguar Credit. It is providing $2,200 lease cash on the 2008 S-Type 4.2, but I haven't seen any cash for the '08 S-Type R.

I would be happy to give you an idea of what these cars' current lease programs are like, but in order for me to do so I need you to tell me how long you want to lease for and what mileage allowance you need.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Greetings billjag. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You definitely should receive a reduction in the money factor that is being used to calculate the interest cost of your lease if you pay for the entire thing in advance. I am not sure exactly how much of a money factor reduction Jaguar Credit provides on pre-paid leases though.

The best way to get a good deal on a lease is to negotiate the lowest possible selling price on the car that you want. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Negotiate a selling price that is as close to dealer invoice as possible and the have the dealer that you are working with subtract the available lease cash from that number to come up with a capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • jagtnjagtn Posts: 3
    I will be leasing a 2008 Jaguar S-Type 4.2. I will be doing a 36 month lease. Mileage can be 10,000/year. Can you tell me what the corresponding residual and money factors are? Is there any other cash available (other than the $2,200 you mentioned)? Thanks
  • Lots of good deals out there on this car right now have me thinking of a 2 year lease for $500/mo. I'm getting tired of the German performance cars all looking alike these days, and think this would be a nice compliment to my Mini Cooper S. There seems to be very little information on the recent productions, though clearly many folks have not found the older ones to be as relaible.

What are you're impressions of this car - especially if you have an 07 V6?

Thanks!
  • The S type is one car I would stay away from. 1) fit and finish is not up to Jag quality.
    2) it is going to be discontinued b/c of slow sales, which means you should be able to find a terrific deal.
    3)the new model which replaces it comes out early next year if everything goes according to planned.

I guess my biggest complaint is that Jaguar has always been known for manufacturing cars that are well appointed on the interior, clean layout, a quality feeling, and there are way too many parts used from Ford vehicles on this car. It might as well be a ford, with a slightly prettier face. If I were you I might consider a used XJR, you will find that the quality is totally superior. If you don't want that it will be easy to find an XJ model for well under 50 K if you negotiate it appropriately..
  • My local Orange County, CA dealer is advertising a S-Type 3.0 base model at $499/mo, 24 mo, $5k driveoff lease with 10,500 miles per year. Not clear if the cost of the car has been reduced to get to these figures. The payment is reasonable, but the driveoffs seem pretty high for just a 2 year lease. Presumably to get to these numbers, they've accounted for the $4k of lease incentives you mention - though I see nothing about that on the Edmunds website currently.

Any idea on the money factors they're using or if I'm missing something? How much lower can I get them to go down?
  • you are being hosed 499 seems high for this car.

1) Contact Bauer Jag ask them how many S types thhey have in stock and tell them you want to lease. I used them to get the price of my local jag dealer to come down on an xj model 5000 dollars.

2) are you sure you want this car
    a) fit and finish suck (to put it mildly)
    b) this is a glamorized ford with Ford reliability
    c) this model can't be moved fast enough, it will be discontinued by early 08.
    d) slow sales have contributed to its demise.

3) If you really want a jag, which will be trouble free may I suggest a used XJ model no older than the 04 model year.

reliability is improved, it is jag quality, and these cars can be found on the cheap, with low mileage and a decent waranty.

Consider yourself warned about the potential problem of the S type.
  • Wow - i recognize that when you get this car, you're taking your chances, but after owning Audis and BMWs for 8 years, not being inspired by the design and/or performance of the Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc, it seems worthwhile to take a serious look at this car. The 2007 models share many of the same components inside, still turn heads, and have above average performance in a luxury car.

I don't mind the fact the car doesn't have a lot of company on the road...these days I can't tell a BMW from a Honda
  • Hi misterjim. $5,000 is too much money to pay at lease signing. It has to include a significant capitalized cost reduction. I always advise consumers against making large cap cost reductions on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You would be much better off going with no cap cost reduction on this lease.

As far as Jaguar's current lease program for this model goes, if you were to lease a 2007 S-Type 3.0 through Jaguar Credit right now for 24 months with 10,500 miles per year its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00024 and 50%, respectively. As I mentioned earlier, Jaguar is providing $4,500 lease cash on this model.

It's difficult for me to say how much less you will be able to get this car for without knowing its selling price. Negotiate as low a selling price as you can on the car that you want and then have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using the aforementioned lease program. I personally would shoot for a capitalized cost of $3,500 to $4,000 below invoice (using the lease cash) and see what happens.

Car_man
    Host
  • Anyone have any idea as to deals offered on leasing a new 2008 S-Type?
  • Just picked up a clean 2003 S Type R with 74k. Loaded with all the bells and whistles, Nav, 450W sound, etc. $15,300.
This discussion has been closed.