Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Headrests

carbuyer31carbuyer31 Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Honda
Hello all, I am interested in the CRV and am also looking at the RAV4. To me, the headrests in the CRV are placed at a very uncomfortable angle. It seems they push my head forward and my chin down toward my chest. I could not find a seat adjustment that made them any more comfortable. Comments or advice? Thanks.

Comments

• harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    It's a common mistake. The device at the top of the seat is design for safety not comfort. It's a head restraint, not a head rest. You aren't really supposed to lean on it. It is for preventing whiplash in a crash.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    It's a common mistake. The device at the top of the seat is design for safety not comfort. It's a head restraint, not a head rest. You aren't really supposed to lean on it. It is for preventing whiplash in a crash.

I second that.

In normal driving "head rests" are not touching any part of the head. The only "head rests" make contact with the head is when the vehicle is suddenly changing its rate of acceleration, such as in rear end collision.
  • smkgsmkg Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with the CRV. When I mentioned it to the salesman, the pulled the headrest out and flipped it around. That position was more comfortable than the original position.
    Big big mistake. I have to believe that if it was safer to use the safety devise backwards, Honda would have designed it that way. They know a lot about safety.

That's like buckling the seat belt into the seat next to you, or using a child seat backwards. The salesman shouldn't recommend overriding a safety feature. What dealership was he/she with?
    Big big mistake. I have to believe that if it was safer to use the safety devise backwards, Honda would have designed it that way. They know a lot about safety.

That's like buckling the seat belt into the seat next to you, or using a child seat backwards. The salesman shouldn't recommend overriding a safety feature. What dealership was he/she with?

Unless the salesman knew that they installed the headrest backwards during pre-delivery inspection.
  • bobby12bobby12 Posts: 8
    I have found the headrests uncomfortable too, but found that I could lift them up, turn them around, replace and they are much better.
    Wonder how it compares to wearing a neck brace.
    IIHS gave ratings out today for neck injuries in SUVs - the majority (24 of 39 tested) failed.

CRV got an excellent rating for neck protection.

Neck restraints were not tested inserted backwards.
  • I purchased this vehicle used, but the middle (small) head restraint was not included. Since the C-RV is mainly being used as a two person vehicle, it was not a major problem. I would like to find one, but I have had terrible success so far. Black interior, 2003 C-RV EX. Thanks for your help
  • you can order from a body shop.
    Some people have removed all the rear headrests to get better rear vision.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    I would try a local auto salvage yard. They should have one or be able to locate one.
  • I just test drove the 08 CR-V EX-L and I loved the vehicle with one big problem - the headrest. It was pushing my head forward and after a short (about 5 min) test drive I had one heck of a headache. I am encouraged that it can be turned around. I am 5'0" tall and it is totally uncomfortable. I am also encouraged that others are having a similar reaction - maybe Honda will make a change for 09.
  • I nominate those of you who flip it for the sake of comfort for a Darwin Award!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    for the sake of comfort for a Darwin Award!

Sorry, that won't qualify for a Darwin Award since no one is in jeopardy of removing themselves from the human genome as a result of such action. :P

Perhaps you have a constructive suggestion?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dtstofdtstof Posts: 61
    unless the seat is reclined a lot, I'd just raise it, moving it away from the head. If you reverse it, as others have said, you've removed the safety feature. I can't even come near it in the reverse position, and it no longer locks.
  • My wife (5'1") is looking at buying a 2008 CR-V. She loves everything about the car except the headrest forces her head forward, regardless of the adjusted height of the headrest. She sits comfortably in my 2004 Accord so we pulled the headrest from the Accord and tried it in the CR-V. It fit but the problem remained as far as forcing her head forward. As others in the forum have noted, reversing or removing the headrest is not an option. My thought would be to somehow bend the two rods to change the angle enough to allow her head to be in a more comfortable position. This solution should retain the safety feature and improve comfort.

I can understand that the dealer might be reluctant to make any modifications but do the members have any thoughts or suggestions? This issue is a deal breaker on the purchase.
  • lpkaylpkay Posts: 4
    This is the only cushion on the market (that I have seen) that works with the active head restraint that can push your head forward. By the way, NHTSA knows all about the comfort complaints that have been lodged against many makes and models.

link title

• emehollinemehollin Posts: 2
    Thanks. Cool looking pillow. Autosportcatalog.com has a couple, too. We found that if she reclined the seat a little more than she was used to, it was more comfortable. We bought the car and she quickly got used to the slightly more reclined seat position and all is well.

Thanks again for your response.
  • deefdeef Posts: 1
    hi -- my cr-v's book says not to strap or hang anything onto headrest or the safety feature will be interfered with ... thoughts? I don't think i can drive w/out leaning back onto this (as some have written it's not really to be leaned upon) -- so the pillow seems a good option ...
    this is driving me batty. thanks
  • The head restraint was very uncomfortable for my wife. She got a cushion about 3/4" thick and put it behind her back to move her whole body slightly forward. Restraint is now tolerable; this solution seems superior to reversing head restraint.
  • I realise that these are for safety but surely they should not cause discomfort and pain to the user.
    Has anybody tried swapping the headrest from the back seat with the uncomfortable ones in the front?
  • dtstofdtstof Posts: 61
    For the people having trouble with the head rests, does your arm rest sit flat, slightly pointed down, or slightly up? Mine is slightly up, and I don't touch the headrest. Maybe the seat back can be adjusted back to clear. I do, however, raise the headrest.
  • I am 5 ft tall and the headrest is an issue for me as well. I want to buy a CRV, but not until I can find a comfortable seat/headrest position. Reclining the seat does relieve the pressure on my head some, but it makes my lower back hurt. Has anyone tried that neck pillow that was posted? Or bending the bars as suggested? I have used a back cushion before, but it slips around and is inconvenient for getting in and out of the car. I have noticed that taller people have a space between their head and the headrest, but there is negative clearance for short people. Thanks for any other solutions to this problem.
  • It's funny. I'm 4'11 and i don't have any issues with my headrest. It only bothers me when i have a pony tail. You might want to try the neck pillow or just roll up a towel and place it in the empty space . I hope you work this out because the Honda CRV isn't the best of SUV's but it's a great one. I hate the material they used in the LX though. It's rough and can cause skin irritations. Good Luck
  • tabby2tabby2 Posts: 1
    I purchased a CR-V last week and by the time I got it home, I had a aching and stiff neck and a headache. When I called the Honda place the next day, the salesman just chuckled and said he'd heard that before. He suggested reclining the seat some. Well, I've tried reclining the seat, changing seat heights, and changing head restraint height. Nothing worked.

Reclining the seat just promotes poor posture as it makes you lean forward, curving your back. That's not going to be good. I wonder how long this issue has been going on. My opinion about Honda has really changed due to this simple problem.

And about safety, it's not safe to drive in an ergonomically incorrect position as this can cause serious and painful muscular problems.

I believe I will try calling a car repair shop and see if they have been approached by customers with this problem. Bending the poles was originally what I had thought about, also. I just wouldn't want them to break.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Posts: 49
    I don't know how tall you are but I'm 4'11/5'0 and I noticed the same thing with the headrest. Funny that I never put two and two together until i purchased a seat cover. It covers the empty space that your neck needs... also a neck pillow wrapped around the headrest works. Hope these suggestion helps.
    Do your seat covers have provisions for the side airbags?
  • cinglemomcinglemom Posts: 49
    My seat covers cover the whole entire chair/seat including the headrest. So if the airbags are in the seats... they may not be able to come out. I thought the airbags were in the doors?... I will have to check.
    My seat covers cover the whole entire chair/seat including the headrest. So if the airbags are in the seats... they may not be able to come out. I thought the airbags were in the doors?... I will have to check.

There are airbags on the sides of the seatbacks. At least they are in the 2005 model.

Problem with the covers is that since airbags use explosives to go off, and cover may trap the charge, catch on fire, become a projectile... ect...

Same is with placing things on the A-pillars, and dashboard, they all become projectiles when air bags go off.
  • I test drove an '09 crv and the headrest problem is still an issue. I am just over 5' tall and the headrest pushed my head and neck forward at an extremely uncomfortable angle. I already have neck problems from two previous rear-ender accidents while I was stopped at red lights, so I don't need additional aggravation. As with others in this forum, the salesman said the headrest can be flipped, but I really questioned the safety. I like the Honda, but the head rest problem is a deal breaker. I tested the Saturn Vue and it has much more comfortable seat/headrest configuration. Also, I had to practically sign over my first born to be able to even test drive the crv. The salesman drove the car first, then stopped to let me drive. I also tested the Accord, and was told that since my driving passed approval, I could it out of the lot without the salesman first driving it. Not at all happy with the salesman. Won't buy a Honda.