Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Headrests

Comments

• I realise that these are for safety but surely they should not cause discomfort and pain to the user.
    Has anybody tried swapping the headrest from the back seat with the uncomfortable ones in the front?
  • dtstofdtstof Posts: 61
    For the people having trouble with the head rests, does your arm rest sit flat, slightly pointed down, or slightly up? Mine is slightly up, and I don't touch the headrest. Maybe the seat back can be adjusted back to clear. I do, however, raise the headrest.
  • I am 5 ft tall and the headrest is an issue for me as well. I want to buy a CRV, but not until I can find a comfortable seat/headrest position. Reclining the seat does relieve the pressure on my head some, but it makes my lower back hurt. Has anyone tried that neck pillow that was posted? Or bending the bars as suggested? I have used a back cushion before, but it slips around and is inconvenient for getting in and out of the car. I have noticed that taller people have a space between their head and the headrest, but there is negative clearance for short people. Thanks for any other solutions to this problem.
  • It's funny. I'm 4'11 and i don't have any issues with my headrest. It only bothers me when i have a pony tail. You might want to try the neck pillow or just roll up a towel and place it in the empty space . I hope you work this out because the Honda CRV isn't the best of SUV's but it's a great one. I hate the material they used in the LX though. It's rough and can cause skin irritations. Good Luck
  • tabby2tabby2 Posts: 1
    I purchased a CR-V last week and by the time I got it home, I had a aching and stiff neck and a headache. When I called the Honda place the next day, the salesman just chuckled and said he'd heard that before. He suggested reclining the seat some. Well, I've tried reclining the seat, changing seat heights, and changing head restraint height. Nothing worked.

Reclining the seat just promotes poor posture as it makes you lean forward, curving your back. That's not going to be good. I wonder how long this issue has been going on. My opinion about Honda has really changed due to this simple problem.

And about safety, it's not safe to drive in an ergonomically incorrect position as this can cause serious and painful muscular problems.

I believe I will try calling a car repair shop and see if they have been approached by customers with this problem. Bending the poles was originally what I had thought about, also. I just wouldn't want them to break.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Posts: 50
    I don't know how tall you are but I'm 4'11/5'0 and I noticed the same thing with the headrest. Funny that I never put two and two together until i purchased a seat cover. It covers the empty space that your neck needs... also a neck pillow wrapped around the headrest works. Hope these suggestion helps.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Do your seat covers have provisions for the side airbags?
  • cinglemomcinglemom Posts: 50
    My seat covers cover the whole entire chair/seat including the headrest. So if the airbags are in the seats... they may not be able to come out. I thought the airbags were in the doors?... I will have to check.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    My seat covers cover the whole entire chair/seat including the headrest. So if the airbags are in the seats... they may not be able to come out. I thought the airbags were in the doors?... I will have to check.

There are airbags on the sides of the seatbacks. At least they are in the 2005 model.

Problem with the covers is that since airbags use explosives to go off, and cover may trap the charge, catch on fire, become a projectile... ect...

Same is with placing things on the A-pillars, and dashboard, they all become projectiles when air bags go off.
  • I test drove an '09 crv and the headrest problem is still an issue. I am just over 5' tall and the headrest pushed my head and neck forward at an extremely uncomfortable angle. I already have neck problems from two previous rear-ender accidents while I was stopped at red lights, so I don't need additional aggravation. As with others in this forum, the salesman said the headrest can be flipped, but I really questioned the safety. I like the Honda, but the head rest problem is a deal breaker. I tested the Saturn Vue and it has much more comfortable seat/headrest configuration. Also, I had to practically sign over my first born to be able to even test drive the crv. The salesman drove the car first, then stopped to let me drive. I also tested the Accord, and was told that since my driving passed approval, I could it out of the lot without the salesman first driving it. Not at all happy with the salesman. Won't buy a Honda.
  • We have a 2008 CRV EX-L and while my wife is relatively short (5' 3") I do not notice any head contact by her with the headrest in a normal driving position. My thought on this is that the salesman in demonstrating the seats to you left the seatback inclined too far forward when you drove it. Given the obnoxious tactics of this salesman, try another dealership and take another test drive. Set the seat backrest angle yourself back until it feels right. If you are trying out one with power seats, tilt the lower seat forward a bit to compensate for lowering the backrest if you feel the seat is reclined too much.
  • g_specg_spec Posts: 1
    According to a technician at Honda of America, a minor revision was made to the headrest to enhance crash test rating. The only thing he suggested was to get the issue documented with Honda of America and if there is enough complaints, a recall might be issued to all the documented cases to replace the problem headrests with a headrest that is pushed/tilted slightly back. I'm sure a huge company such as Honda would act quickly to resolve an issue that is causing health and physical problems for the customers.

Here is Honda's contact info:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Phone: 1-800-999-1009
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    I wonder if some folks, simply sit leaned back rather than sitting upright??? The HEAD RESTRAINT (it's not a heat "rest"... that's no longer it's primary function) is about 1" behind my head that way I normally sit. Its' actually nice because I can lena my head agaisnt it on longer drivers and relax a little more.

But then again, I'm used to also riding motorcycles with a upright sitting position, with no bakc rest or neck cushion. I'm riddne 14 hour days and my back didn't hurt. It's just a matter of training your muscles to use good posture.

I thin also, there's a ideal range of seat angle. Too far back and you'll be inclined ot lean you head back. too far forward and hte head restraint pushes up against your head.

A salesperson told me it's more of a problem with drivers that like a very upright seating position.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    I think whiplash protection standards must have increased, because I'm seeing a lot more complaints about headrests than I used to.. and, not just on the CR-V.

There is a Tiguan in my parking lot at work.... and, it's obvious they've turned the headrests around on it (definitely wouldn't recommend that).

On my Impreza, there is a definite forward tilt to the top of the headrest, that I don't see on older cars. I keep the headrest pretty high (middle of the headrest matching up with the fat part of my head..lol), and that works for me, but if I had to put it all the way down, then seatback angle might be more important.

My own anecdotal observations: Taller drivers have more adjustment possibilities with headrests, making it easier to find the spot where they don't bother (though not necessarily the safest spot). Shorter drivers may only be able to use the headrest in the lowest position, giving them no adjustment if it hits them in an uncomfortable spot. I see more complaints from women, than men (assuming shorter drivers, on average).

Just my $0.02
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I am glad I came to this forum! We had been thinking abt a CRV. My husb's car is a Civic & I hate the head restraints, as passenger & as driver. I am 5'3", petite build, and they hit the back of my head in the most uncomfortable way, give me a headache on long drives and turning them around, and dropping them as low as they'll go, does not help.

If the CRVs do this, too, then I won't be buying one. It will be "my" car, so I have to be able to drive it without getting a sore neck/headache.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    Best of luck in you vehcile search. I'd consider changing your seating position first. You may find most vehciles are not designed this way. My wife is 5'3" but doesn't have any problem because she never had the habit of leanign back into the seat.

Most new cars now have head restraints designed this way. It's for safety. My Nissan Versa I found to be worse than my CR-V. I'd take a extended test drive before you rule it out. Each car is a little different. Our Altima is about the same as the CR-V.
  • ebroadedebroaded Posts: 12
    I am 5'0" and have an issue with the head restraint pressing on the back of my head as well. When I raise the head restraint to it's highest position the bulge at the top of it is positioned higher and my head has enough clearance to be comfortable. My head still touches the lower part, but it does not push it forward creating discomfort and I still get the benefit of neck protection. Give raising the head restraint up a try. Good luck
  • ebroadedebroaded Posts: 12
    I just posted about raising the head restraint to make the seating more comfortable and have an added comment. That worked fine for the drivers seat (EX-L model), but did not help in the passenger seat. I have the CR-V here for an extended test drive and I can't find a comfortable position in the passenger seat using extra cushions or raising the head restraint. This is a huge problem and I suggest that you also try the passenger seat when you do a test drive. Also, please post or send me an email if you find a car or small SUV that is comfortable for you. I have felt comfortable in the Prius, but was wanting more cargo space. While the CRV is great in every other way, I also need to be able to sit in it without back or neck pain.
  • We haven't visited a CR-V yet (plan to do it later in the week) but we did sit in a Kia Rondo yesterday (the weather was terrible so we didn't bother to drive; will do that later). The headrest problem was even worse in it, for me, than the Honda Civic! At the lowest position, which is supposed to be the one for me, the bottom of the restraint pushed into the back of my head---the spot where my head goes out the farthest.

I am 5'3", so raising the thing to the highest did not help me. The bulge at the bottom still nailed my head.

My 6'2" husb found he could get the bottom of the thing to hit him in the right place by adjusting its height.

However, we found that we could take the things all the way out & reverse them. I know that is a big no-no and I told the salesman to pretend he did not see us, but it can be done. This resulted, for me, in a restraint that did not force my chin into my neck, so I could actually drive the car, but of course it was too far back to protect me from whiplash and I couldn't lean my head back on it for a little break in long drives.

If I did not turn it around, the Kia would not be driveable, for me. So, both Kia and Honda need to rethink the placement of these things.

I also sat in a Hyundai Elantra Touring the other day, on a showroom floor. They did not have any outside to drive at the moment, so I said, just let me sit in the inside and look it over, etc.

It did not have these head restraint problems at all. A bump on the center console does come very close to my right knee--and I am small--I think that may be an issue for bigger people. The Elantra Touring and Kia Rondo both have ratchets for the driver to raise the seat, so short drivers can get higher up (and yes, I had it ratcheted up when I was being nailed by the head restraint, in the Rondo).

We are going to visit the CR-V and check it out--but if I can't drive it because my chin is on my chest, I can't buy it no matter how much we like other features!

I will try the passenger seat, too, as you suggest! I'm glad you mentioned it!
  • For me with the Civic and now Insight, (Later will buy an addition to my fleet the CR-V 2010 model ) I have never had an issue with the head rest. I never lean my head all the way back and I sit up straight. Some individuals like to rest their heads back on the head rest but many more do not.