Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Headrests

13»

Comments

• nseissnseiss Posts: 2
    The "restraint" restrains me from sitting in a perfectly upright position, because when I do, my head hits the headrest (excuse me, head restraint) and I can't sit comfortably, as I am forced to cock my neck forward. It is much like sitting in an airplane seat which forces your body into a "C" curve position. Don't know your height, but I am 5'8" tall. I have a friend who is 5'4" and has no problem with the headrest. I can't imagine where a six-footer puts his/her head!
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    I agree with you Nseiss. The head restraint can be quite uncomfortable.
    When I first encountered the problem, I pulled out my owner's manual assuming I could read something that could help me find a solution but there was none. I found a little relief by finally finding a seating position that positioned my body in a way to tolerate the head restraint. Fortunately, I don't spend a lot of time in my vehicle. If I did, I don't know if the current seat position would be of much help.
  • A friend of my husband had a similar issue. He took his headrest and put the prongs into a vice and gave it slight bend where the headrest and prongs meet. The prongs in his headrest went through the top of the headrest so there is no issue of snapping off and no stress fractures in the metal. Not sure if it met the new standards but it made him more comfortable and it still protects him from whiplash. Another option is to buy an adjustable headrest.
  • After reading all the complaints, and getting no help from Honda, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I removed the headrests and took them out on my outdoor carpeted, congrete slab, patio. I laid the first one on the floor (on its back). I then took a screwdriver with a hard rubber handle (approx. 2" in diameter) and propped it (the handle) under one of the legs of the headrest, as close to the cushioned part as possible. I then took a medium sized rubber mallet and took several whacks straight down on the leg of the headrest, as close to the screwdriver handle as possible, until it appeared to be bent back 10-12 degrees further than the one on the other side.
    I proceeded to repeated the process on the remaining leg until the angle of it matched the first one. I then reinstalled the headrest into the seat-back and got the desired relief I was looking for.
    This procedure did not cause any stress fractures or cosmedic blemishes to the legs of the headrests and they are still fully adjustable. I can now take extended trips without arriving with a nagging back ache. If your're handy with tools, give it a try. I think you'll be inpressed with the results.
13»