Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used A4

2»

Comments

• ptineptine Posts: 2
    I'm looking to spend in the 'low 20's" for a car, and have the option of either buying a new Sentra, Scion, Altima, etc. or perhaps a 3 yr old A4 with appx. 30,000 miles. I'd like for the car to be a bit of fun...Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • randylfrandylf Posts: 12
    Hey guys,

This will be my first semi-new car purchase and I am looking heavily into the Audi A4 or possibly the infiniti G35.

Im basically trying to get some advice as far as buying and maintaining whatever car I choose.

Im looking for a somewhat low cost of ownership past the initial payments.

I have already been financed with capitolone auto, up to 16.5k, @ 5.94% APR.

From my research, I believe this is a pretty good deal, and I wanted to get privately financed so I can just buy the car w/ cash.

Im going to look into some dealerships, but I feel that the car I want will cost too much at a dealer, but I also would love to have a certified Audi warranty.

The cars I'm looking at on auto trader are generally 2003-2005 and have around 50-65k miles, but have been meticulously maintained and the previous owners have all documentation relating to the maintenance.

So my question is, would it be a wise decision to purchase a used audi with that many miles, as long as the previous owner has babied it, and as long as he can prove ALL scheduled maintenance with documentation.

Can anyone help me weigh these options?
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    I just traded in my 2006 A4 quattro 2.0 with 37K highway miles. It was a great car, just didn't meet my needs anymore. The dealer put it on the lot with an asking price of $22K, and I'm sure he had room to come down. That car would be a great deal/car for anyone. If you bought it, you'd be in a completely different world driving it than the cars you mentioned - there could be no comparison. Take your time and check AutoTrader.com or other sites regularly and you'll fine one. You'll never regret it. Try to find one that is Audi certified and you get a great used car warranty to boot. Good luck.
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    Don't mess around with the 1.8 turbo - use premium fuel every fill-up like the manual says. Believe it or not I used the dealer's service department for oil changes. They were competitive and I used synthetic oil. Enjoy the car - they are great.
  • ptineptine Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for your reply. I'm taking delivery in a few days on a 2004 3.0 convertible with 27,000 miles for 24K. Car is in fine shape. Took a test drive and was very pleased with the ride. Thanks again for your input and advice!
  • cole3404cole3404 Posts: 1
    We are currently looking at a 2006 A4 3.2L Quattro with 22,500k. It has a clean title and the regular maintenance was performed at Audi dealer per Carfax. Most of the nightmares I have read involve the 1.8 and 2.0. Is the six cylinder a little more reliable? Have there been less problems? Thanks for any replies.
  • maigremaigre Posts: 16
    A local dealer has a couple of '09 A4 2.0T Quattro service loaners. They've got a bit over 10K miles on them. Both are certified. The one I saw and drove looked clean and drove well. I like the idea of paying less than I'd pay for a new one.

Still, the idea that the car has been driven like a rental for however many months gives me pause. Are my concerns reasonable? Should the fact that it's certified make me feel more comfortable?

Thoughts, anyone?
  • jc112jc112 Posts: 6
    Try and get a copy of the car's service records. Carfax too. If it looks clean and the car looks to be in good condition...sure.

Just bought mine CPO 15000 it was a service loaner...just had it checked out and everything was good to go. Looking foward to a long life with this one...but so far Ive loved all my Audi's
  • cjsuncjsun Posts: 3
    Hi, jc112,
    Do you mind telling me how much you paid for your CPO loaner car ?
    I got a dealer loaner 09 A4 2.0T Quattro premium pkg + heated seat, BT, homelink, IPOD with ~10K miles on it. they listed it as $29500. do you think this is reasonable ?
    Thanks a lot. (u may email me heat_mist@yahoo.com if you don't like to post it here).
  • cjsuncjsun Posts: 3
    Hello, maigre,
    Do you mind telling how much you were offered or paid for this loaner ?
    Thanks a lot !
  • It's funny to hear the words Audi A4 and Nissan Sentra in the same sentence. LOL

How reliable is the A4? I have only owned Hondas and Toyota recently, and am afriad to buy a German car because of repair cost. Should I be worried?
  • ccc16ccc16 Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a Silver 2012 Audi A4 Premium Plus with 18500 miles from a dealer. It is NOT Audi certified pre-owned, but carries it's original 50000 mile factory warranty and has a clean car fax. They are asking $31677. I'm looking for an opinion on the asking price versus what it may really be worth or what I should realistically be able to get it for? Side Note: It's coming from a KIA dealer and the salesman didn't know much of anything about the car or Audi's in general when I met with him to look at the car. Thanks in advance!
  • ccc16ccc16 Posts: 2
    Can you purchase an Audi Care Plan on a 2012 A4 with 18000+ miles? If so, how do the costs look compared to buying it on a new car which I believe is around $800? Also, to what point (mileage) will the care plan cover? Thanks in advance!
2»