Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering used CR-V

We are ready to go from mini van (venture) to SUV. Have narrowed down to CR-V, will be daily driver for wife and primary family vehicle (family of 4).
Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300.
Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree.
I do not realy need the AWD, what is the benefit of having the AWD? Is it worth the 2-3 MPG sacrifice over the 2wd? Does the back seat have a fold down cup holder in the middle?
Is it comfortable on trips , we travel no further than 5 hrs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    Look carefully at all the spot welds. If it is from snow country at all.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Hondas are problematic buys used because of the high resale vale. Wait a year or 2 and buy a new one. Also, diesel CRV will be available in fall 08. 4wh is more complex and less fuel efficient than 2wd. I personally would not buy a used 4wd.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    It has a cupholder in the middle arm rest. Another good feature is that the rear window flips up independent of the tailgate. If it is an EX the moon roof is useless in my opinion.
    The MPG issue is too small to make or break the deal.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300. Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree. "

I owned a 2003 CR-V EX for a couple of years (bought new). It is a good vehicle.

The price seems OK for the mileage, but I personally would go for a 2005 or 2006, when they added 5 speed transmissions (the 2003 is a 4 speed), and added the stereo controls to the steering wheel. There were other minor changes, such as both driver and passenger having the capability of locking all the doors. Also, they added the "SE" trim in 2005, which adds leather seating (if that appeals to you).

The AWD does not impact MPG to a large extent, probably 1 MPG or so. The EX trim adds factory tinted windows and alloy wheels, plus a 6 CD changer and other nice-to-have items. So the EX is worth it just for the other goodies.

A FEW of the 2003's have been having trouble with A/C compressor failures, but Honda America has been VERY generous with paying for damage (often fully covering the damages even at 70-80K miles). However, they look at the maintenance records. Check to be sure that the maintenance history has been documented BY THE DEALER for this vehicle. That way Honda will be more generous should something go wrong at a later date.

As I said, I myself would get a 2005 or 2006, even if they had higher mileage. Hondas (if properly maintained) will go for a LONG time, so the mileage is somewhat less important.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    2005 gets 16" wheels and stability control, also, right? If at all possible, I'd want to move up to an '05, as well..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"2005 gets 16" wheels and stability control, also, right? If at all possible, I'd want to move up to an '05, as well.."

Sheesh, let me finish editing my original post, will ya?

Yes, these are two very good additions as well, although personally the 16" wheels would not be important to me...
    16" wheels more for looks, than actual performance.. The '02-'04 models look "under-tired"...

Unless you were going to edit that in, also? lol

• esteezeesteeze Posts: 102
    "Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300. Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree. "

I had an 03 Honda CR-V EX that I just sold today. Had 52K miles, and was in pretty good shape (well maintained).

I got $14,600 for it.

All things being equal, $15,300 sounds pretty good considering the low mileage.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    also 2005 and 2006 CRV's have STANDARD 6 AIRBAGS.... which is very important if carrying a baby.
    I just purchased a used 2005 2WD LX, 13,000miles sold by its first owner, for $15,600. Owner replaced the steel wheels with the EX Alum wheels and gave for free the original steel wheels (+ OEM tires) to me. Ordered a cargo cover on line and professionally tinted the rear windows, all for an extra $350...and my CRV looks like an EX ( W/O sunroof).
    You could get a much lower price if shopping around for a 2005-06 CRV sold by owner. Because this SUV is HOT @ $3+/gal, dealers usually charge $1800-$2500 more + TAXES+ doc fees.
    In my area ( S-E Michigan) for 1-2 years old used CRV's , dealers are asking close to brand new price.
    Don't expect, though, the soft and quiet ride of a minivan. CRV has a jolty, stiffy and noisy ride compared to minivans. Test drive one before deciding. A Toyota Rav4 or 4cyl Highlander would aleviate this inconvenient, IMO
    "wner replaced the steel wheels with the EX Alum wheels and gave for free the original steel wheels (+ OEM tires) to me. Ordered a cargo cover on line and professionally tinted the rear windows, all for an extra $350...and my CRV looks like an EX ( W/O sunroof)."

... And the fact that all 2005 EX had RT4WD.

Congrats on your purchase!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    also 2005 and 2006 CRV's have STANDARD 6 AIRBAGS.... which is very important if carrying a baby.

From what research have shown, air bags actually kill babies on impact. Babies have lower mass that adults, and the explosive black powder in the air bag is designed to slow down an adult from hiting the pillars, or what not, not a light weight baby.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    thanks!
    FYI: not all 2006 EX CRV's are 4WD. There are some 2WD too. This in the context that 2005 and 2006 CRV's are similar.
    "FYI: not all 2006 EX CRV's are 4WD. There are some 2WD too. This in the context that 2005 and 2006 CRV's are similar."

Ah? I didn't realize that the 2006 came with FWD EX. I thought that came in with the 2007 model. Thanks for the update!
    "From what research have shown, air bags actually kill babies on impact."

...which is why it is illegal to have kids in the front seat in most states.

The Federal government allows one to disable the front airbags if the family has so many children that one of them HAS to ride up front.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    I think that one other differance is the 2006 came with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and braking assist where the 2005 does not. Other than that very close

...MNF
    "I think that one other differance is the 2006 came with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and braking assist where the 2005 does not."

EBD was standard equipment on my 2003 CR-V EX, along with Anti-lock brakes.
  • sceglascegla Posts: 20
    From my understanding, the only difference was a $100 price increase. Not even the color selections changed... the '05s and '06s are identical vehicles.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Thanks I may be wrong on the EBD just going off car comparing sites. I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k

MNF
    "I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k "

Not sure which sites you are using, but (again), my 2003 CR-V had traction control. I used it a couple of times in the winter.

Hmmm, it's been a couple of years since I sat in that 2003, I think it had traction control. Any 2003 owner's want to speak up?
    My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control...

Are we confusing traction control with stability control? Usually traction control is only used to modulate torque steer on higher powered FWD engines (like the Accord V-6).