Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering used CR-V

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one that's not $2000 over book value!!

Good luck. They were rated number 1 SUV to have. you may have better luck negotiating on the new CR-V, than finding a deal on a used one. What's there not to like:
    - capacity to carry 5 comfortably
    - AWD that lets you do mild to moderate off-roading
    - safety all around (air bags, ABS....)
    - convinience (power everything even on the low-end models)
    - excellent fuel economy, on par with many mid-size sedans.

I could get what I paid for mine, almost. And it is 3 years old. :)
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    Today I bought a 2000 CRV SE w/leather with 113K mi. At 110 it had just had the whole nine yards of maintenance and had been well maintained throughout it's life. (owned by a local Dr.) I got it for $6,000. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? The edmunds value was around $8,000 but I haven't seen a lot of recent sales of these. They sure seem to command a pretty penny. Reactions?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,849
    Looks like a good price... How has that leather held up?

I just traded my '02 to the dealer for $9K, and it has 106K miles... He put it on the lot for $12,999..

I realize the 2000 is a different model, but it sounds like you did well...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The leather is great. There's one small crack in the drivers seatback on the left side. The rest looks pristine. There are some rust areas inside the drivers door and passenger rear door that are going to be repaired next Wednesday by a company that does antique restorations. That will cost about $300. The rest of the vehicle is near flawless. Years ago I owned a 1999 CR-V that I kept for a few years before trading on an Accord. I always wished I'd kept that vehicle. This one is nearly the same and the daughter loves it so In the long run it worked out OK. I've read quite a bit about these vehicles running well for many miles. Hope this is the case for this one. I'd like to get about 200K out of it.
  • Note: I accidently posted this in the First Generation discussion. I've moved it here. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm in the process of helping my son replace a '98 subaru wagon he wrecked on his way back to school. He really wants another subaru and I really want him to consider a CRV and a RAV4. I've done a ton of research on checking out used Subaru's. For example, I know to check for head gasket issues. It seems every Subaru we've looked at has head gasket issues or catalytic converter problems or bad CV joints.

What should I look out for on a CRV?

Most of the vehicles in his price range are over 100K miles (1997-2000). How can I tell if the valves are burnt? Is it possible to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne
    We've had ours for about 4 months and 4K mi. It's been great and trouble free. Just put new tires on. I've taken it on a few road trips and would have no hesitation in taking it on a long trip. Granted, ours had been very well maintained by the previous owner but I think these vehicles will, by and large, stand the test of time. From what I've read, the 1st generation is the most trouble free. I've always hesitated in buying a high mileage vehicle, until I found one I could get the maintenance history for. That's the key. If it was properly maintained you should have no problem getting at least 200K - 250K out of these vehicles.
  • Thanks for your reply. I would love to find a private owner sale. These vehicles are very scarce in Richmond, Va. The only CRV's are on small sellers lots. I've only had the carfax reports to go by in most cases.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    One trick that occasionally works is to cruise a big parking lot for clean CR-Vs of the approximate year you are looking for. Wait for the owner(s) to come back and strike up a conversation (assuming they look approachable and you don't look like a mugger :) ). "I'm thinking of buying a CR-V and how do you like your Honda?" etc. If it's a lemon, they'll be sure and let you know, and you can withdraw gracefully.

Otherwise, ask them if they've looked at the new body style and if they have thought about buying a new one. Then you tell them you'd be interested in buying their old one and here's how you can contact me.

Hopefully you'll get them curious about a new one, and they'll visit the showroom, knowing they have a potential buyer in the wings.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Hi all!

I'm looking into a Honda CR-V to replace my 1990 Ford Taurus - a change, I know, but I could use something a little sportier with the roof rack, etc. But truly I need something reliable and sturdy.

I've found a 2003 CR-V EX at a dealer with about 85k on it, dealer is asking 13k - which I see might be a little bit high.

My question: should I be put off by the higher mileage and look for something else? Should I expect some problems around the 100k mark or can I look forward to many years with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to poking through the forum more!

-NK
  • berriberri Posts: 4,234
    I think the only potential big issue on 03/04 is the AC, but that is an expensive one of it goes.
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    As posted the main issue is going to be the A/C going out and this could cost a lot if it explodes. I have a 2003 and so far it is ok at 93k. I would not pay 13K for a used 2003 CRV. Is it an LX or an EX.
  • Hello, everyone. I have been looking at CR-V's since August, and used prices have not changed at all. I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 SE (38,000 miles) for $17,000. A new 2010 EX-L can be purchased for about $28,000. As you can see, $11,000 difference. In some ways, I like the older style better, and the price definitely fits. Which way would everyone go? Is the new style that much of an improvement? Probably comes down to preference, but the 06 style still is a sharp vehicle. Thanks for any and all input.
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 SE (38,000 miles) for $17,000. A new 2010 EX-L can be purchased for about $28,000. As you can see, $11,000 difference.

I think the 2006 SE sold for as little as $23,000 in September of 2007...

I agree, Gen 2, 2.5 is a better looking CR-V than Gen 3, and 3.5, which looks like purse on wheels.

Besides, by Honda eliminating the availability of manual transmission on the CR-V has completley castrated the CR-V.
  • What I can find, MSRP was almost $25,000 on the '06 SE. I have looked at so many '06's, and this is the best price I have found on a SE. Are they still this popular, or are people making a statement by desiring the Gen. 2 & 2.5 to such a high degree? The dealer is offering to honor the 5yr/60,0000 original warranty, which will give me about a year remaining. Thanks for the help. Still undecided. Has anyone owned both the Gen. 2 & 3? If so, can you share your views and findings?
    Honestly, unless you get a particularly great deal, I think you are usually better off buying Honda or Toyota new because of their generally slower depreciation than many other makes. This will be particularly true of CRV because you don't find them in fleets or rental lots much, if at all. You probably should drive the newer gen CRV and decide for yourself which you prefer. The new CRV has become the top seller in its segment so unless you're locked to it you may be do better on a deal for a RAV-4 or other competitor. It really becomes a personal call, but I think the 06 is overpriced for what you get for the money they want.
  • ckcrvckcrv Posts: 7
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ?

Please anyone may answer ,I am considering giving $6300 for a 2002 w/AWD tommorrow. Thanks in advance .
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ? Forgot to mention it is an EX .
    CRV comes as FWD or AWD, but its AWD is really FWD with a differential that kicks some power to the rear axles when needed. You won't be offroading in one. Make sure that AWD differential has been maintained with regular fluid changes because it, along with A/C seem to be a bit of a weak point.
    Thanks.
    So AWD is totally self activating? I suppose that's OK, what about the Overdrive,does it have to be off at the time ? Overall does $6300 seem like a fairly good price? It was owned by an elderly couple ,but I can't contact them. If A/C has not been repaired properly is that a dealbreaker ?
    AWD is self activating and D means its in overdrive, not an issue. I don't think you can do much on the AC. When it goes, the whole system needs to be replaced, not just the compressor, because the system usually gets fouled. It will run you around $3K. Prices are local, you just need to check around.
    Well I went and bought it !
    A 2002 Burgandy CRV EX. w/AWD . I have owned 1/2 a dozen Hondas including the GoldWing Gl1100 2 wheeler and I am more excited about this one than any of the other Hondas.. They were all Accords and 1 Civic . This CRV makes it seem like you are in a full size SUV but turns as well as My Accords. Just feels like the power is perfect for the vehicle . I love that 2.4 Vtec.
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    hi guys, i am going to check out this used crv-it only has 20,000 miles on it and the dealer wants $16,000 for it. the carfax looks ok-maintenance records look good-the only problem i see right now is it just ran out of warranty. is that real important? i wish i could buy the honda extended warranty, what are my other options if i like it?
    i also saw a similar 07 lx awd for $17,000 with 33,000 miles and it is certified-don't really want awd but the certified might be worth it.
  • tocatoca Posts: 147
    If they are both '07 LX's and you don't need AWD, then go for fewer miles and less money.
    Thanks.
    So AWD is totally self activating? I suppose that's OK, what about the Overdrive,does it have to be off at the time ? Overall does $6300 seem like a fairly good price? It was owned by an elderly couple ,but I can't contact them. If A/C has not been repaired properly is that a dealbreaker ?

The AWD is contained in the rear differential, which is substantially different from other rear differentials, and requires regular fluid changes with Honda Dual Pump Fluid. There is no substitute...

As to overdrive, I assume you are talking automatic. The OD button use is described in the OWNER's MANUAL. Whoever you purchase the vehicle from should include it. It is part of the vehicle, just like the seats, engine, and wheels are. Deduct $80 for the missing manual, and get one your self.

Manual CR-V has 5 speed overdrive transmission with a spacer for the 6th gear, which a number of people have replaced with a 6th gear from Acura TSX/RSX-S for a slittle as $300 plus labor.
    Well I went and bought it !
    A 2002 Burgandy CRV EX. w/AWD . I have owned 1/2 a dozen Hondas including the GoldWing Gl1100 2 wheeler and I am more excited about this one than any of the other Hondas.. They were all Accords and 1 Civic . This CRV makes it seem like you are in a full size SUV but turns as well as My Accords. Just feels like the power is perfect for the vehicle . I love that 2.4 Vtec.

Congrats... now it is time to make sure you start from a fresh start. Replace all the fluids with geniuine Honda fluids, and make sure you put the proper grade of engine oil. "Better oil" is not better for this engine.

The 2.4 with a manual is a real beast. When it first came out on the Accord, TOV Estimated it having 180 hp at the crank. Automatic CR-V is 2 seconds slower to 60 than the manual CR-V.
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    so you don't think the awd and it being certified is worth the extra $1,000? i know it has 13,000 more miles-didn't get to see either of them because of icy roads here-its a shame they are located about 50 miles apart-i need to see them. do you think $16,000 is a decent price for an 07?
    Based on appraisal prices, $16k is a fair price. Can't hurt to make a lower offer either.

However, it looks like you are near the Chicago area where snow and ice are the norm during the winter months. If it were me, I'd buy the AWD CRV for the extra cash. 33k miles means it's still a baby. If you end up getting the AWD CRV, ask for service records. In particular, ask if the differential fluid has been changed. Again make a lower offer (especially if no service has been done), the worse thing they can say if you offer a lower $$ amount is no, right?
    Congrats... now it is time to make sure you start from a fresh start. Replace all the fluids with genuine Honda fluids, and make sure you put the proper grade of engine oil. "Better oil" is not better for this engine.

Thanks , I have always believed that Original Honda fluids were the best idea. The dealers in the area use Bulk Oil (Mobil Brand) .Other than an Oil Change they use 100% Honda fluids. I can buy the Honda quarts and do that part myself at the time,or just make sure they use Honda Oil I suppose . I appreciate the info very much ,CK
    Yes, I'm interested in what blueiedgod means by ""Better oil" is not better for this engine" I've used nothing but Mobil 1 in my '03 Pilot. 128k miles later and it runs and sounds great. Not attributing it completely to Mobil 1, but at a minimum, synthetic oil allows me to extend changes.
    Thanks , I have always believed that Original Honda fluids were the best idea. The dealers in the area use Bulk Oil (Mobil Brand) .Other than an Oil Change they use 100% Honda fluids. I can buy the Honda quarts and do that part myself at the time,or just make sure they use Honda Oil I suppose . I appreciate the info very much ,CK

I was not referring to Honda engine oil, that you can get anywhere, as long as they use the proper grade, filter and replace the single use crush washer.

I was referring to the PSF, ATF/MTF, DPF, brake fluid and coolant.
This discussion has been closed.