Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering used CR-V

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k

The 05 and 06 are identical, except that 06 came with 60,000 miles powertrain warranty.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    This from the Honda.com site not sure if it is correct maybe someone can clarify

the 05 had
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®)

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/specifications.asp?ModelName=CR-V&ModelYear=2005

the 06
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/specifications.asp?ModelName=CR-V&ModelYear=2006

Thanks... MNF
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control... "

Well, they do have different size cubby holes in the dash :surprise: I still can't believe Honda did that one in the 2002...

Not sure if I believe the used Honda specs posted in the above URL in all regards; I am positive that EBD was included in the ABS system, but it is not listed there. Do you recall that? I remember because it was one of the reasons I wanted the EX.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,876
    No idea on EBD..

Yeah.. the cubby hole. Let's put a hole in the dash that is just a little too small to hold a CD case.. Just to screw with their heads. :surprise:

Also.... forget the power lock switch for the passenger. Who would ever use that?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Also.... forget the power lock switch for the passenger. Who would ever use that?

My Japan built 05 has passenger door lock switch.
    "My Japan built 05 has passenger door lock switch."

IIRC, they added it in 2004.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    "My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control... "

Well, they do have different size cubby holes in the dash I still can't believe Honda did that one in the 2002...

They also added a coat hook in the back. They changed the interior color for the Taffeta White models. Along with the cubby hole enlargement I think that was all for '02 to '03.
  • jday1960jday1960 Posts: 2
    I have 4 children (3rd grade - high school). I need a vehicle that gets 20+ mpg, but will hold all four kids for carpool and such. We have a Yukon XL for the longer rides. My 99 Expedition with 150k is about to kill me gas wise (10mpg I am not proud to say).

Does anyone fit four plus the driver into a CRV and if so what year. Also, we live in a pretty hilly community and I am worried about pulling a some of the hills around here with a loaded small SUV like the CRV.

\Thanks.
    "Does anyone fit four plus the driver into a CRV and if so what year. Also, we live in a pretty hilly community and I am worried about pulling a some of the hills around here with a loaded small SUV like the CRV. "

I have often put 5 in my CR-V. Mine was a Gen 2 (2002 - 2006), but the Gen 3 is even wider than the Gen 2. So you should not have any problem fitting 4 kids, especially since the older one can sit up front without worrying about the airbags. I have taken several long trips with 5 people, including into the mountains.
  • jday1960jday1960 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one that's not $2000 over book value!!
    Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one that's not $2000 over book value!!

Good luck. They were rated number 1 SUV to have. you may have better luck negotiating on the new CR-V, than finding a deal on a used one. What's there not to like:
    - capacity to carry 5 comfortably
    - AWD that lets you do mild to moderate off-roading
    - safety all around (air bags, ABS....)
    - convinience (power everything even on the low-end models)
    - excellent fuel economy, on par with many mid-size sedans.

I could get what I paid for mine, almost. And it is 3 years old. :)
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    Today I bought a 2000 CRV SE w/leather with 113K mi. At 110 it had just had the whole nine yards of maintenance and had been well maintained throughout it's life. (owned by a local Dr.) I got it for $6,000. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? The edmunds value was around $8,000 but I haven't seen a lot of recent sales of these. They sure seem to command a pretty penny. Reactions?
  • Looks like a good price... How has that leather held up?

I just traded my '02 to the dealer for $9K, and it has 106K miles... He put it on the lot for $12,999..

I realize the 2000 is a different model, but it sounds like you did well...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The leather is great. There's one small crack in the drivers seatback on the left side. The rest looks pristine. There are some rust areas inside the drivers door and passenger rear door that are going to be repaired next Wednesday by a company that does antique restorations. That will cost about $300. The rest of the vehicle is near flawless. Years ago I owned a 1999 CR-V that I kept for a few years before trading on an Accord. I always wished I'd kept that vehicle. This one is nearly the same and the daughter loves it so In the long run it worked out OK. I've read quite a bit about these vehicles running well for many miles. Hope this is the case for this one. I'd like to get about 200K out of it.
  • Note: I accidently posted this in the First Generation discussion. I've moved it here. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm in the process of helping my son replace a '98 subaru wagon he wrecked on his way back to school. He really wants another subaru and I really want him to consider a CRV and a RAV4. I've done a ton of research on checking out used Subaru's. For example, I know to check for head gasket issues. It seems every Subaru we've looked at has head gasket issues or catalytic converter problems or bad CV joints.

What should I look out for on a CRV?

Most of the vehicles in his price range are over 100K miles (1997-2000). How can I tell if the valves are burnt? Is it possible to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne
    We've had ours for about 4 months and 4K mi. It's been great and trouble free. Just put new tires on. I've taken it on a few road trips and would have no hesitation in taking it on a long trip. Granted, ours had been very well maintained by the previous owner but I think these vehicles will, by and large, stand the test of time. From what I've read, the 1st generation is the most trouble free. I've always hesitated in buying a high mileage vehicle, until I found one I could get the maintenance history for. That's the key. If it was properly maintained you should have no problem getting at least 200K - 250K out of these vehicles.
  • Thanks for your reply. I would love to find a private owner sale. These vehicles are very scarce in Richmond, Va. The only CRV's are on small sellers lots. I've only had the carfax reports to go by in most cases.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    One trick that occasionally works is to cruise a big parking lot for clean CR-Vs of the approximate year you are looking for. Wait for the owner(s) to come back and strike up a conversation (assuming they look approachable and you don't look like a mugger :) ). "I'm thinking of buying a CR-V and how do you like your Honda?" etc. If it's a lemon, they'll be sure and let you know, and you can withdraw gracefully.

Otherwise, ask them if they've looked at the new body style and if they have thought about buying a new one. Then you tell them you'd be interested in buying their old one and here's how you can contact me.

Hopefully you'll get them curious about a new one, and they'll visit the showroom, knowing they have a potential buyer in the wings.
  • Hi all!

I'm looking into a Honda CR-V to replace my 1990 Ford Taurus - a change, I know, but I could use something a little sportier with the roof rack, etc. But truly I need something reliable and sturdy.

I've found a 2003 CR-V EX at a dealer with about 85k on it, dealer is asking 13k - which I see might be a little bit high.

My question: should I be put off by the higher mileage and look for something else? Should I expect some problems around the 100k mark or can I look forward to many years with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to poking through the forum more!

-NK
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    I think the only potential big issue on 03/04 is the AC, but that is an expensive one of it goes.