Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering used CR-V

13»

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Yes, I'm interested in what blueiedgod means by ""Better oil" is not better for this engine" I've used nothing but Mobil 1 in my '03 Pilot. 128k miles later and it runs and sounds great. Not attributing it completely to Mobil 1, but at a minimum, synthetic oil allows me to extend changes.

Some poeple have this notion that 5W-20 or 0W-20 recommended by Honda is too "thin" and does not provide adequate protection. So, they put in the oil their grandfather used to use, which is like molasses compared to modern multi-grade oils.

The viscosity of the oil has no bearing on its lubricity. It is the lubricity of the oil that is important, but also, its ablity to get into the oil passages, which are designed for a specific flow characteristic based on the oil specified by the manufacturer.
  • I think what some don't understand either, is the 5W20 and 5W30 will perfrom the same in cold temepratures when you first start-up hte engine. But a few minutes later when the engine is up to temp, the 5W30 will have a hgiher viscosity, and depending on the desing of the oil pump and oil passages, might have a lower flow rate and ceratin oil jets and orifices that lubricate and cool certain components, may be sized for a lower viscosity oil.

So you could cause some issues, increase engine wear and will reduce fuel economy using a heavier weight oil.
  • phoberphober Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2008 CRV EX-L with 27K miles on it offered at 19K (private party) vs. a new 2010 EX with the slightly larger engine (Can't afford a new EX-L). After reading some of the posts, I'm concerned about a used vs new...but I think this is a good deal and if I buy an extended warranty separately, it may be OK.
    Any Thoughts??
    I'm considering purchasing a 2008 CRV EX-L with 27K miles on it offered at 19K (private party) vs. a new 2010 EX with the slightly larger engine (Can't afford a new EX-L). After reading some of the posts, I'm concerned about a used vs new...but I think this is a good deal and if I buy an extended warranty separately, it may be OK.
    Any Thoughts??

I think you need to do more research before you buy it.

Cr-V has had the same displacement engine since 2002 model year. The power ratings, and power output have changed, the engine is still the same size.

As to used vs. new, that is something only you can make a desicion about. We just bought a 2010 CR-V EX in July for about $23,000.

Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,815
    "Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you? "

Is it really fake? I thought it was actual leather...
    edited October 2010
    "Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you? "

Is it really fake? I thought it was actual leather...

I believe Honda literature states that the vehicle has, "Leather seating surfaces" which in lawyer talk simply means the center portion of the seat, the perforated part is actual animal leather, and the rest is pleather.

You have to decide why you want leather. It is not really that good of a surface for a vehicle seat. Suede or faux suede aka alacantra, is a much better seating surface.
13»
This discussion has been closed.