Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars you gave up for your kids

2»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,087
    When I met my wife, she and her 5 brothers and sisters went everywhere with mom and dad, in a 1951 Caddy 4 door, or in the back of the 1949 Chevy PU truck. Today they would be arrested for either vehicle. What besides a large SUV or Mini-van will haul 8+ people. To top it off my sister and I would climb in and go with them.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Even though I am married and have a beautiful 9 1/2 month old baby-boy, my wife and I have both SWORN OFF Minivans

What you got there is basically a chia pet. :) wait until # 2 comes along and the one keeps staring at the other or crossing the "line".

Although we were good with a 4 door Gran Prix as the family car when we had just 2 , the 3rd drove my wife to get the dreaded Minivan. Once you get one you'll never know how you lived with out one.

When we were kids we used to get half the neighborhood in the back of a '72 Pontiac Catalina(well 7 kids with one on the back ledge). Try that today and you could be looking at jail time.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,410
    Up to two kids you can make do in an Accord sized car (I went camping with my wife and two kids in our 00 Accord with a cap on it) and you'll be OK. You might have to be creative in packing but if you're not creative the kids will leave you in the dust anyway.

Once you cross the magic line from 2 kids to three you have put yourself in a minivan. You can kid yourself and put yourself in an SUV but you're not fooling any of us that know.... It's just a poorly designed minivan.

Come over to the dark side.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    vwwwwh,shhhh,vwwwwh,shhhh (heavy breathing)

I am your Minivan fezo . (in a James Earl Jones Voice)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    wifey has informed me she wants to quit work and stay home full time. :( waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

soooo... what's the first to go? I think her recently acquired BMW vert. But, unfortunately, the one that will fetch the most money is my Alfa. :(

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Oooh.... local car sort selling a BMW vert, huh?

You may want to E-mail me but only if it's an older (cheaper) one. If not a mutual firend is looking....

guss - That's what it sounded like when my Sebring turned into an Ody. Scary.
  • bristol2bristol2 Posts: 736
    Wife gave up a BMW 3 when she figured out that the stroller that we just HAD to have did not fit in the trunk.

My plan is to pay off my Accord and then get the fun vehicle, BMW Z4 would be nice.

gbrozen- do not sell the alfa. It's the kind of thing that you won't be able to recreate and when the babies are grown up they will be able to tell the stories of riding in it when they were big kids!
    yeah, i just can't let her go. it's been so much fun to drive again since replacing the motor and trans mounts. The BMW is a decent cruiser, but the Alfa really puts a grin on my face that the bimmer can't match.

we'll see what happens. she is currently still working, but wants to stop as soon as we can figure out how to afford it.

By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

Same for us, we had one of those 'crossover' strollers that was supposed to be useful as a jogger and with enough storage etc to use as a regular stroller. Of course, in the end it did neither well and was too big.
    I think we probably used it a total of 30 times. :sick:
    Waiting on the BMW......

bristol2 - you'd be amazed (or maybe not by now) how easy it is not to take little things like does the stroller fit in the trunk for granted.

I did pass on a VW Cabrio (yeah, I know... chick car.....) because one of my requirements was that my guitar could fit in the trunk without folding the rear seat down. That would have meant my (at the time) two kids and wife could ride along if I was playing somewhere.

I ended up in a Sebring and while I don't know if that particular scenario ever came up but I did use the extra room.
    Waiting on the BMW......

I'll keep you in mind. ;b

I just went through an ordeal replacing the cat converter this weekend to get it to pass inspection (which it did yesterday. woohoo!), so I'm attached to it for the moment. At least until the trauma has subsided. :)

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,341
    A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money
    wisely, so
    >it would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in
    Portugal. The
    >modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 years; the owner and wife
    both had
    >died, and there were no heirs.
    >
    > The house was sold to pay taxes. There had been several lookers,
    but the
    >large barn had steel doors, and they had been welded shut.
    >
    > Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the
    barn, and
    >it wasn't complimentary to the property anyway... so, nobody made an
    offer
    >on the
    >place.
    >
    > The NY guy bought it at just over half of the prope rty's worth;
    moved in,
    >and set about to tear in to the barn... curiosity was killing him.
    So, he
    >and his wife bought a generator and a couple of grinders... and cut
    thru
    >the welds.
    >
    > What was in the barn?
    >
    > Go to; www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm
    > and start wishing you had purchased the property. ;)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I first looked at the pics and thought, "who wouldn't check a building of that size??!" And, sure enough, my suspicions were with merit.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,087
    That is quite a collection. You have to wonder if they will start selling them off, or just let them go to the heirs when the owner dies. I got that story from a couple people in emails.
    Oh, you darned spoil sport! ;)

Good story - even as fiction....

Maybe I'll have to work on being in Leona Helsmsley's dog's will.... You could buy a lot of cars with $12 million...
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I traded in my 2001 75th Anniversary Edition Pontiac Grand-Am GT for a 2002' Cadillac Seville STS before my son Brock, was born. I was happy about the trade as I got a much nicer car and it was more solid in the winter. ;)

-Rocky
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    Just before our first son was born I moved off a territory job to a factory position and had to give up my company car.

I had a 1992 Suzuki GSX1100G... image

And traded it for a silky smooth 1993 Buick LeSabre...
    Dang...the Edmunds picture almost makes it look appealing...mine was tan...maybe it wasn't a bad trade...
    the Edmunds picture almost makes it look appealing

Don't forget, that 'almost' is a BIG almost!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,305
    ...cars you gave or handed down to your kids?
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    I had a really nice '95 300ZX that I gave up. I still regularly think about getting another.

I drove my wife's car for a while so she could get a safe four door (new BMW with a manual) for the baby. W quickly grew out of the BMW and when she was getting ready to have our second child, she got an Odyssey. So, I got a little vindication in the end.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,913
    it had a payload upgrade and i put bigger shocks and 31" tires on it. v8 4 speed manual. when i saw my daughter's head bouncing around with every bump in the road and after i lent it out and the next time i went drive it, a tire was flat, it had no gas, and there were week old smelly beer cans in the cab, i decided it was time for it to go. traded it for a more family friendly ' 89 taurus sho. ;)
2»
This discussion has been closed.