Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars you gave up for your kids

Comments

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    to have my Audi A4 :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,141
    After a long string of "practical" primary cars, my wife decided I should finally treat myself to a sportscar. If we ever needed more seating, we had her SUV. So I picked up a used '04 350Z with 9K miles in Feb '05. In July '05, we found out we were having a baby. Joy! ... oh ... wait.

So just 9 months after purchase, I traded it for a less expensive 4-door and $4k cash to decorate the nursery.

I LOVED that car! And I'll be sure to always remind my son of that fact.

I do, however, still have my Alfa Spider (and, no, its not much of a sportscar, which you'd know if you ever drive one ... plus, it sees VERY little time on the road).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• gussguss Posts: 1,181
    it sees VERY little time on the road

Why ? Are you too busy changing diapers ?
    well, yes. But its a chain of events. I usually need or want to work on it in some way, and changing diapers prevents that. For example, I just replaced the rear springs. They took me 2 weeks, however, since I could only spend a few hours the first saturday, then had no time the following weekend, then a few hours to finish up the weekend after that.

• my dad had to give up his beautiful boss 302 and boss 429 for us :(
  • blacktalonblacktalon Posts: 203
    Makes me glad I'm still single. :)

Even if I do get married and have kids some time in the future, I swear I will never buy a minivan...

Something along the lines of a BMW 3 Series sedan, an Audi A4, or an Infiniti G35 sedan would probably make a fine family car (to go along with the absolutely necessary two-seater sports car). :)
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    "Makes me glad I'm still single."

Ever wondered how many ladies are glad you are still single?

If & when you are married and SHE wants a mini van, you'll have one and like it.

After your first born, the sports car will not be necessary at all. Your convertible will be the baby stroller. ;)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    You remind me of a friend. He is a 55 year old bachelor. Cannot figure out why he cannot find the perfect wife. How hard is it to get two baby seats in the back of a BMW 3?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    Even though I am married and have a beautiful 9 1/2 month old baby-boy, my wife and I have both SWORN OFF Minivans. We're trying to stay away from SUVs as well (although the BMW X3 & Land Rover LR2 are very nice). Her 2000 Mazda Protege ES is making its way towards the 88,000 mile mark and is developing some funny noises (you know, the ones that cost $500 to fix) and we're out growing it as the rear-facing safety seat makes the front passenger seat almost uninhabitable. I think we're going to lease a Passat Wagon at the end of the month.

I had my eye on the BMW 328i Sport Wagon, but there isn't enough room behind the back seats and the raked back window looks great, but impeades on cargo room.

Something along the lines of a BMW 3 Series sedan, an Audi A4, or an Infiniti G35 sedan would probably make a fine family car (to go along with the absolutely necessary two-seater sports car).

The cars you mentioned above would make a great 2nd car or commuter car for you, but kids (especially babies) have A LOT of stuff. Maybe you could get away with something like that for a day trip or maybe overnight, but it would be stuffed to the gills.

About the sports car, my '01 Prelude Type SH (while not as sports as your Z4 Coupe) has be relegated to commuting duty. I cut my mileage down from 20K per year to just over 13K per year since we had the baby.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    ...my Dad didn't need a minivan when my brother and I were little. He managed with a 1961 Chevrolet Biscayne two-door sedan.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    When I met my wife, she and her 5 brothers and sisters went everywhere with mom and dad, in a 1951 Caddy 4 door, or in the back of the 1949 Chevy PU truck. Today they would be arrested for either vehicle. What besides a large SUV or Mini-van will haul 8+ people. To top it off my sister and I would climb in and go with them.
    Even though I am married and have a beautiful 9 1/2 month old baby-boy, my wife and I have both SWORN OFF Minivans

What you got there is basically a chia pet. :) wait until # 2 comes along and the one keeps staring at the other or crossing the "line".

Although we were good with a 4 door Gran Prix as the family car when we had just 2 , the 3rd drove my wife to get the dreaded Minivan. Once you get one you'll never know how you lived with out one.

When we were kids we used to get half the neighborhood in the back of a '72 Pontiac Catalina(well 7 kids with one on the back ledge). Try that today and you could be looking at jail time.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,326
    Up to two kids you can make do in an Accord sized car (I went camping with my wife and two kids in our 00 Accord with a cap on it) and you'll be OK. You might have to be creative in packing but if you're not creative the kids will leave you in the dust anyway.

Once you cross the magic line from 2 kids to three you have put yourself in a minivan. You can kid yourself and put yourself in an SUV but you're not fooling any of us that know.... It's just a poorly designed minivan.

Come over to the dark side.
    vwwwwh,shhhh,vwwwwh,shhhh (heavy breathing)

I am your Minivan fezo . (in a James Earl Jones Voice)
    wifey has informed me she wants to quit work and stay home full time. :( waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

soooo... what's the first to go? I think her recently acquired BMW vert. But, unfortunately, the one that will fetch the most money is my Alfa. :(

Oooh.... local car sort selling a BMW vert, huh?

You may want to E-mail me but only if it's an older (cheaper) one. If not a mutual firend is looking....

guss - That's what it sounded like when my Sebring turned into an Ody. Scary.
  • bristol2bristol2 Posts: 736
    Wife gave up a BMW 3 when she figured out that the stroller that we just HAD to have did not fit in the trunk.

My plan is to pay off my Accord and then get the fun vehicle, BMW Z4 would be nice.

gbrozen- do not sell the alfa. It's the kind of thing that you won't be able to recreate and when the babies are grown up they will be able to tell the stories of riding in it when they were big kids!
    yeah, i just can't let her go. it's been so much fun to drive again since replacing the motor and trans mounts. The BMW is a decent cruiser, but the Alfa really puts a grin on my face that the bimmer can't match.

we'll see what happens. she is currently still working, but wants to stop as soon as we can figure out how to afford it.

By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

• bristol2bristol2 Posts: 736
    By the way, our one stroller just fits in the bimmer trunk, but the "jogging stroller" doesn't stand a chance.

Same for us, we had one of those 'crossover' strollers that was supposed to be useful as a jogger and with enough storage etc to use as a regular stroller. Of course, in the end it did neither well and was too big.
    I think we probably used it a total of 30 times. :sick:
    Waiting on the BMW......

bristol2 - you'd be amazed (or maybe not by now) how easy it is not to take little things like does the stroller fit in the trunk for granted.

I did pass on a VW Cabrio (yeah, I know... chick car.....) because one of my requirements was that my guitar could fit in the trunk without folding the rear seat down. That would have meant my (at the time) two kids and wife could ride along if I was playing somewhere.

I ended up in a Sebring and while I don't know if that particular scenario ever came up but I did use the extra room.
This discussion has been closed.