Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80 Suspension

2»

Comments

• north_starnorth_star Posts: 1
    I was just browsing through and saw your post.
    I would recommend that you personally call the Volvo customer service hotline.
    The hotline will put you in contact with a Field Service Engineer. This is an excellent way to get the help you are looking for especially when you feel you are not getting solutions from your dealer.
    I received excellent help and rectified all issues since going this route.
    I was truly impressed with the Field Service Engineer. It was so great to finally have someone who was there to listen and take the time to get all the pieces of the puzzle put together.
    I hope you get the answers and have your Volvo functioning properly soon. Best of luck.
  • spankey1473spankey1473 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I've been having issues with my S80 to the point my wife doesn't feel safe to drive the car anymore. She's afraid she has to drive it like an old woman afraid to hit a bump and have something go wrong.

I bought my car second owner and was purchased used with roughly 75,ooo on it. It now has 132,000 on it and it's all highway miles. I drive 50 miles a day to work.

Since I've owned it for the last two years I've sunk well over $8,000 into it!!! And I'm still paying on it :( Nothing worse than having a car you owe on and then to dish out well over $8,000 more into it...... Can you say VERY Upside down on a car's equity????

Both front lower control arms
    Sway Bar and Linkage
    Both Front Ball Joints
    All new struts and mounts around the entire car (Yep all 4)
    Rebuilt Transmission at 128,000!
    Ignition Coils
    Multiple Alignments.

Now the car is again making serious squeaking noise in the right front wheel area when I go over bumps. It's so embarrassing to be driving a "Volvo" and have it make this noise. My buddies laugh at the fact I'm driving what is supposed to be a top notch safe car and it's always in the shop. When I bought the car I was going to take it to a Volvo Dealer but the nearest one from my house is over 30 miles away so it makes that not feasible.

I have been getting most of my service from a very reputable local garage, but it seems every time I fix something another thing just pops up. I tell ya I'm going broke on this car. I hate to cry about this but an average consumer can NOT afford to have these issues with what should be a great reliable car....

I complained to Volvo Headquarters and a guy did call me back. He said shame I wasn't taking it to a volvo dealer because then he would be able to help. They offered no assistance with transmission because I was 28,000 miles over the extended 100,000 warranty.

I tell ya if you, I used to love driving this thing. Comfortable and quick and great on gas, but man it costs way to much money to upkeep. Sorry, but not sure how much longer I would be pushing the "Volvo For Life" slogan.....

:( Spankey
  • sry wrong post...but if your car is still squeeking and you have changed your struts ball joints which is just your hub assembly and control arms it could only be your strut mounts or outer tie rods which both are feasible to fix....you say you have sunk 8000 i bet 6500 of that was just labor....matthewvolvo shows how to do it at home if you have the TIME to install your own parts...Ebay has alot of good prices and since your from the states it all ships within 4 to 6 business days...goodluck and try trading for a newer one they are much more beautiful and awd
  • ohrosemanohroseman Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 S 80 with 12000+ miles on it. The noise has not occurred during drives with the Volvo service reps. They have assured me they have checked wheel bearings ect and can't find and problems. When it does occur it's a steady humming noise. If I shifted into neutral and rev the engine or change lanes the noise stays the same. If I stop and start up again the noise is gone. One of the last times I got out of the car and I thought I smelled a burning odor by the rear wheel drivers side. Any thoughts on what this might be? OHRoseman
  • thecouvthecouv Posts: 1
    I AM HAVING VERY SIMILAR NOISES ON MY 2001 S 80 TURBO..I FOUND AN INDEPENDANT VOLVO REPAIR SHOP AND HE IMMEDIATELY DIAGNOSED IT (AFTER A ROAD TEST) AS BAD COIL SPRING SEATS. . THERE ARE TWO FRONT ONES SO WE ARE REPLACING BOTH 175 DOLLARS EACH PLUS TAX. YOU CAN FIND THE PARTS ON LINE FOR 30 -60 DOLLARS.....IF YOU WANT TO DO THE WORK YOURSELF. AS FAR AS BREAK LIGHT BULBS GOING OUT TRY NOT TO USE THE CHINESE BULBS...YOU WILL STILL ONLY GET ABOUT T.O
  • moelovermoelover Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    the only way you will get noise from your front end is if the parts are worn out.or broken.front in parts are very cheap online and with alittle work you can change for free come on MEN get alittle dirty and save the money tools are a great investment for any car you have, and once you start you will always have the will to fix things.and if its a job u think you cant handle then take to a local shop..
    ill do the job for you for 2300$..lol nah reall leave the dealerships alone buy the struts and shocks your self take to the local dealer they should charge about 200-250 total job should cost you around 600-700 ,,good luck
2»